It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2003, 09:00 AM   #1

stvooh HB User
Question Could be a stupid question...

Went to the dentist for the 1st time in 14 years today due to intense pain...needless to say, i have a "severe" infection and the Dr told me that I need a root canal on both of my bottom front teeth ASAP. He put me on 1000mg Amoxicillin 2X a day and the procedure is scheduled for the 17th. My question is do they use any type of anastesia(sp?) or just novacaine? And will I likely be able to return to work as normal the next day or not? I guess I just do not know what to expect...everyone I talk to says something alittle different but I figured on a site like this I would get more honest straight-forward answers...Am I just letting my phobia drive me crazy? Honestly, this all comes down to fear. Look forward to some responses.
Thanks,
Steve

Old 10-07-2003, 09:19 AM   #2

TLinNIreland HB User
Hi Steve,

For me having the root canals was fine, l had 4 at one time. l returned to work the next day with no problems. I was a little sore in the gums but otherwise it was fine.

Everyone l have read on here has had different experiences with root canals so there is no definite answer to whether or not you will have pain. My dentist just used novacaine, that hurts worse than anything else! LOL If you are nervous about the procedure you can ask for the gas too if they use it.

Good luck on your procedure!

[This message has been edited by TLinNIreland (edited 10-07-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-07-2003, 02:23 PM   #3

Shaman HB User
Steve,

Every dentist offers different options for their patients. If you do not feel that local anesthetic is going to be enough because you are too nervous, then you should call the office and ask what additional choices you have.

Both of my root canals (done by an endodontist) were done under IV sedation and they were 100% pain free during and after. My current dentist does not offer IV, so I have had extensive work done by taking Valium before the apointment to calm me down, and nitrous during to keep me relaxed. I have to say that being a recovering dental phobic, I really like nitrous!

If you choose to have any sort of sedation other than nitrous alone, you will need someone to take you to and from the appointment. I was able to return to work the next day after all of my appointments, but was too groggy the day of to even consider it.

Honestly, the worst part of it all is having your mouth open for so long! If you are worried, then ask for a referal to an endodontist for the root canals. They often offer more options then general dentists and usually do the root canals in one appointment.

Good luck!

PS~ My geography stinks so I don't know if this will help, but check and see if you are near Dr. Michael Hardee. He is an endodontist in FL who offers IV sedation as well as other options.

Old 10-07-2003, 05:33 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SusanGene HB User
Hi, Many root canal dentists (endodontists) use nitrous AND, of course, a local. But here we have to be "referred" to an endo by a dentist. So my dentist referred me to this particular endo and I was frightened to find he doesn't use nitrous! So I took a couple tranquilizers and it seemed to go very fast.
I wasn't bothered one bit by having my mouth open.
He said he doesn't use nitrous because "the tubes and mask get in my way."
Steve, if you mean the Front teeth they only have one root or two so it will be nothing. The Back teeth can have four roots ! Mine was near the front and I never felt a thing. Nothing. Nada.

------------------

Susan Gene

Old 10-08-2003, 02:01 PM   #5

stvooh HB User
Thanks for your replies....it is good to know that the front teeth arent as bad as the back ones(it is the 2 front bottom teeth)I am going to an endo for the procedure and as much as I dont want to go I am going to. I will let you know how it goes, thanks again for the info and advice.
Steve

Closed Thread