It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2003, 01:35 PM   #1

KatieGregg HB User
Post Has Anyone Had This?

Hi. I posted previously. I went to a dentist about cold sensitivity i was having. He told me based on a cold test that i needed a root canal.

I went to another dentist. He told me I didn't need a root canal- that it was just sensitivity.

I went to a thrid dentist, and she said I needed a root canal on a completely different tooth.

Who do I trust people?

I am feeling extremely discouraged.

Old 10-09-2003, 02:57 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SusanGene HB User
Katy, that is just awful. I'm sorry this is happening to you.
I've had similar situations. What I do is this: YOU decide if you need a r/c yourself. How? By determining how much discomfort you are willing to put up with ! Right now I have a back molar. It is not infected. It just aches with chewing sometimes with some kinds of foods. If it became Really uncomfortable to chew on I'd get a r/c. Just Hate to spend that kind of money !
Rub an ice cube with a Q tip. Then, looking in a mirror, put the cold tip on the tooth YOU think is the one. You'll know; trust me. The usual rule is if a tooth hurts more than 5 seconds after cold touches it then is removed you "need" a r/c. Like, if it hurts for 30 seconds you "need" one.

------------------

Susan Gene

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2003, 03:47 PM   #3

KatieGregg HB User
SusanGene,

I feel so relieved. Thank you so much for your advice. I will definitely do this, and then determine depending on the tooth it hurts.

I also will say that my tooth doesn't hurt at all when i eat. But when I drink cold milk or pop for example, it does- though I had no clue how to tell which tooth was feeling the pain.

You sound like you really know what you are talking about. What is the difference between severe sensitivity upon cold(and thus needing special toothpaste) vs. the pain you are talking about. Any ideas?

Thanks agin. I will keep you posted once I try your trick.

Sincerely,

Katie

Old 10-09-2003, 08:31 PM   #4

KatieGregg HB User
SusanGene, thank you so much for your common sense. You just made a huge difference in someone's life. Really it's 'little'(ha) things like that that count for everything in my books.

I tried the q-tip with ice...that didn't work. So I soaked the q-tip in water, and put it in the freezer. Half an hour later i had my answer. It is most definitely tooth number two. The question remains wether this is a sign of needing a root canal, or just severe sensitivity. For that I will wait a week, as I faithfully use the prescription toothpaste, and see if it goes away.

I also heard that after dental work it is common to feel sensitivity of colds for 4 to 6 weeks after. So I will wait a month before, and if it doesn't go away I will then set up my appointment.

Thanks again for the trick. I will remember that forever.

Closed Thread