It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2002, 05:22 PM   #1

nae_101 HB User
Question adult still has baby teeth

Hi all...
I'm 23 years old and I still have 3 baby teeth and no adult teeth to grow in behind them. My dentist said it's rare and genetic but he couldn't remember the medical term.
Does anybody know the medical term for this?
I've looked on the internet and can't find any information on this.

Old 12-12-2002, 08:20 AM   #2
Inactive

Merrida HB User
You're right, can't find any information.

Why do you want to know the name?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-12-2002, 09:55 PM   #3
Inactive

miseryweeps HB User
I have the same problem. One tooth about two over from front teeth on each side. Unfortunatly a little too up front when they do fall out.

Old 02-28-2003, 09:37 AM   #4

paisley1 HB User
Lightbulb

I had four baby teeth with no permanent teeth behind them. It was definitely hereditary for me. I'm 33 and this goes back three generations. Thankfully, both my daughters have all their permanent teeth. The only sad thing is that one has inherited my luck with problem teeth and jawbones.

Paisley

[This message has been edited by paisley1 (edited 02-28-2003).]

Old 03-06-2003, 08:56 AM   #5

AMKeith1968 HB User
I have the same problem and I am 35 years old.

What Causes Missing Teeth?
Missing teeth are one of the most common developmental problems in children. Nearly 20% of the U.S. population has congenitally missing third molars, 3.4% has missing second premolars, and 2.5% has missing upper lateral incisors. The adult teeth are more frequently affected than the baby teeth. Absence of baby teeth occurs in 0.5% to 0.9% of the population. As a rule, when a baby tooth is missing, its permanent counterpart will also be absent.

Missing teeth (tooth agenesis) can occur in an isolated fashion, or as part of a syndrome. Isolated cases of missing teeth can be familial or sporadic in nature. Familial tooth agenesis is transmitted as an autosomal dominant, autosomal recessive, or X-linked genetic condition. In addition, there are more than 49 syndromes which are associated with tooth agenesis.

Specific terms are used to describe the nature of tooth agenesis. Oligodontia is the lack of tooth development of 6 or more permanent teeth, without an associated systemic disorder. Hypodontia is the absence of 6 or less teeth, but is usually part of a more complex set of developmental problems. Most cases of tooth agenesis involve hypodontia.

Researchers have recently discovered a number of genes and gene products which control communication between and within the cells that are necessary for tooth formation. These gene products are chemicals (proteins) which either affect the DNA on the chromosomes, or function as extracellular messengers. Examples of DNA control genes are MSX-1 and MSX-2. Examples of extracellular signals are bone morphogenetic proteins and fibroblast growth factors.

Genes are the molecular code of life. The 46 human chromosomes contain approximately 100,000 genes. Three billion information bases make up these 100,000 genes. Genetic mistakes may occur due to "misspellings" in the genetic code. These genetic mistakes may then be passed on from generation to generation as mendelian inheritance traits. Familial tooth agenesis can be transmitted as an autosomal dominant , autosomal recessive, or X-linked condition.

Mistakes (mutations) in the genes which help produce teeth can cause missing teeth. Recent studies have found that mutations in two regulatory genes, MSX-1 and PAX9, cause tooth agenesis. The mutations causing tooth agenesis fall into one of three categories: point mutations, frameshift mutations, or large DNA deletions.

One study found that certain families with congenitally missing teeth had a point mutation of the MSX-1 gene. The MSX-1 gene is a homeobox gene, and is required for tooth development. MSX-1 is found on the short arm of chromosome 4 at location 4p16.1 . The point mutation of MSX-1 involved a "missense" substitution of proline in the place of arginine. This particular genetic mutation is transmitted as an autosomal dominant trait.

Another study found that three generations of a particular family had congenitally missing molars, and this was caused by a mutation of the PAX9 gene. The PAX9 gene is involved in the formation of the eyes, palate, teeth, and thyroid gland. An analysis of the gene indicated that a frameshift mutation had taken place, and an extra guanine base was inserted at nucleotide 219 of chromosome 14. The end result of this mutation was the production of a smaller, and less effective, protein required for normal tooth development. In this study, the gentic mutation was transmitted as an autosomal dominant trait.

A dental journal article discusses the genetic basis of dental disorders:
Slavkin HC: Entering the era of molecular dentistry. JADA 130:413-417,1999.

[Websites posts that have any type of advertising are not permitted, per healthboard guidelines. Generally .gov and .edu websites are OK, although. Thanks for your cooperation - Well-come Moderator.]

[This message has been edited by Well-come (edited 03-06-2003).]

Old 04-09-2003, 11:15 AM   #6

Stinkerbell HB User
im 23 and i still have a baby tooth too. the dentist told me that this tooth would fall out when i am around 30. what happened is the permenant tooth is impacted way up in my gums and it wont move down enough to push the baby tooth out..guess ill have to get an implant ...boohoo

Old 05-09-2003, 08:57 AM   #7

keydja HB User
Question

Hi you all,

I have the same problem (I'm 23 and still have a baby tooth). Have any of you gathered some information about getting an implant? Will insurance pay for that and if not how much is it? I'm totally scared that my tooth will fall out one day and I'll have to run around with a gap!!

Thanks!
Keydja

Old 09-02-2003, 05:09 AM   #8

*medusa* HB User
The same thing happened to me except my retarded dentist removed all my baby teeth when I was 14 and none ever grew to take their place leaving me with only 9 teeth in my entire head.

It changed me from a vibrant, sociable fun loving 14 year old with lots of friends to a depressed, ugly, loner. I tried to kill myself when I was 20. I'm now in my 30's. I still don't have a job. I have no friends. I don't go out. I've got to go into hospital soon because I may have cancer and I really don't care. I'm almost hoping I do have it cos if I do I'm going to refuse to let them treat me. I just don't care anymore.

Old 09-02-2003, 09:54 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

rhody HB Userrhody HB Userrhody HB User
Medusa,

Why didn't you get dentures? A lot of people have lost their teeth, and they just get false teeth. I hope you don't have cancer, and that people like us can help in some way.

Old 09-03-2003, 11:15 PM   #10
(male)

andrew127 HB User
Think of it as a good thing. So if you get cavities on those teeth you will have new ones after

Old 10-10-2003, 05:02 AM   #11

Aliehs HB User
I'm 28 and I have one baby tooth, and I still have the adult tooth. I have to get an appointment with an orthodontist to figure out what to do with my baby tooth.

Closed Thread