It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2003, 05:39 AM   #1
(female)

tiggydunc HB User
Angry Holes in mouth after wisdom teeth extraction??

Hi, I had my wisdom teeth out almost two weeks ago. My breath hasn't been smelling good lately, so I used a flashlight to try to look all the way back where the teeth were pulled. Well, when I did this, I saw a bunch of "gunk" in the holes back there. I didn't even know those holes were there! Now here's my question: Will those holes eventually close up or will I always have to deal with food getting stuck in there? It's really gross and hard for me to reach in there. Did anyone else have holes after the teeth were removed?Please help!!!

Old 10-08-2003, 06:05 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

twokatss HB User
The holes will close up in time. However you must get all that "GUNK" out of there to avoid infection. Gargle with salt water to help keep from infection.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-08-2003, 09:17 AM   #3
(female)

Ravishing HB User
Didn't they tell you to rinse your mouth with salt water after your surgery?? I think I was supposed to do this every couple of hours for the first 2 days and then after every meal following that. This not only helps to keep things clean and fight infection but it will also help your stitches to fall out when they are ready.

Old 10-08-2003, 10:25 AM   #4
(female)

tiggydunc HB User
Yes, I did rinse my mouth out for the first 3 days, but I still have holes back there. He took the teeth out whole instead of in pieces so maybe that is why the hole is still there. I think I still have stitches in the lower right tooth. That one took a little longer to come out because my nerve was exposed and a piece of the root broke off in there. I didn't know I was supposed to keep using the salt since they have been out for two weeks on Friday. Am I supposed to make salt a part of my daily routine??

Old 10-08-2003, 11:06 AM   #5

22ad22 HB User
I had my wisdom teeth out 2 weeks ago thursday. I don't have holes where my wisdom teeth used to be. I never really had holes even right after. There's just more of an empty space, the gum on the bottom are lower now because the teeth are gone. And on the top I have like an indent on the gum on the outer side of my jaw where the teeth were. Food likes to get caught up there, but nothing really gets stuck and stays there. You might want to call your oral surgeon. Mine said that I should be 100% by 2 weeks and if not to call.

Also, I rinsed with salt water after everytime I ate for a week. After my followup appointment at 1 week, he said everything was healing fine so I stopped, I haven't been using salt since, I didn't think I had to. Just brush and try to keep that area clear.

Old 10-10-2003, 02:10 PM   #6
(female)

tiggydunc HB User
Well, I've been brushing my teeth and the holes everyday. I'm thinking that I should bring a toothbrush to work so I can clean the holes after lunch. I have also been rinsing my mouth with peroxide, salt water, and scope mouthwash after I brush my teeth. It sounds a little crazy, I know, but I refuse to have stinky breath. Not sure if the peroxide helps any, but my teeth are looking a little whiter.

Thanks for the replies...

Closed Thread