It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2003, 01:39 AM   #1
Veteran

lilrayofhope HB User
Unhappy severe toothache

I have a really bad cavity in my second to last molar. It's at a point where I can't chew and even liquids hurt. Tylenol isn't working, Advil helps for about a hour. I'm hoping there's something that I can do to help. I've gargled with salt water...it just hurt more. My Mom tried to buy me some Oil of Clove (its suppose to be good for toothaches?) but no place had it. This is awful.

History: I'm anorexic and currently have issues with social anxiety so although going to the dentist sounds like a reasonable answer...its not that simple. I'm hoping there are some home remedies that can ease the pain until I'm comfortable with going out.

Old 10-05-2003, 12:03 PM   #2

tryingtofeelgood HB User
dear dear dearest, there is no simple answer to any of these issues. the biggest problem right now is i am sure your immune system is low from not eating much, oh how i pray you will eat - i know your pain i empathize. you have no choice if you want to get rid of the pain there is no alternative but to go to the dentist. tell the dentist of your fears, you can talk with them before you go. Do you have a dentist to work with that you WILL feel comfortable with? Take a friend with you and tell them to come in the room with you. I ALWAYS bring someone in with me. ALWAYS. Please post as you need to. I wish you healing... Add some food to your home healing - I promise you. Trust me on the nutrition! Peace and light, and keep us updatedon your success at getting to the dentist ..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-05-2003, 01:43 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattys HB User
lil,

I am sorry to hear of your troubles. Since the tooth is a cavity it is proboly infected that is what causes so much pain. Toothaches hurt soooooooooo bad. I use to get them alot when I was younger Nothing touched the pain.

The only thing that is going to help the pain is antibiotics and getting the tooth pulled.

Even if you are afraid to go to the dentist just think it would be over in minutes and it is well worth it then suffering with that awfull pain.

best wishes

Old 10-10-2003, 12:14 AM   #4

shiva22 HB User
lilrayofhope,

Please see a dentist. I was agoraphobic for six years, suffering from severe social anxiety and horrible panic attacks. I didn't go to the dentist at all in those six years. I finally caved in and went after having a problem very similar to yours, had a horrible pain in my back molar and I could see a visible black mark on the tooth. It turns out I needed thousands of dollars in restorative work (multiple fillings in over twelve teeth, and one root canal).

I'm not saying any of this to scare you, my case I am sure was due to poor hygeine as well. However, I wish now more than anything that I had forced myself to go during those years. If you catch cavities early enough they are not a problem at all. After all I went through all those years, the state my mouth is in now from my phobias is a constant reminder of all the anxiety.

If this helps, I had my mother call and make the appointment for me, she informed the dentist about my anxiety and my history. She came with me and sat next to me and held my hand throughout the entire appointment, and the subsequent four appointments for fillings. Also, I was introduced to a wonderful drug called Nitrous Oxide. I didn't feel any anxiety at all because of it.

Also, your mom was correct Oil of Clove is helpful for toothaches.

*hugs*

I hope you're able to break free from your anxiety, soon.

Old 10-11-2003, 10:47 AM   #5
Veteran

lilrayofhope HB User
Thanks for your replies.

My cavity is actually very far along. It's a hole about 1/4 of my tooth. I've already had a cavity that was about this bad in which I had a root canal for. I have excellent hygiene its my other behaviors that aren't exactly health oriented. (I have osteopenia from anorexia and I also purge) I guess the purging makes my tooth enamel come off cause I've only gotten these cavities sense I've been purging. Anyways...my tooth doesn't really hurt that bad but I'll try to go see a dentist if I can. I currently am in therapy, but the social stuff is getting so bad I cancel appointments. I'll probably go to the dentist within the next 2 months though.

Closed Thread