It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2003, 07:55 AM   #1

Halruaa HB User
Post Wisdom teeth extraction question

Hey, I got all four of my wisdom teeth pulled yesterday morning. Its day two, I have little pain at the extraction sites, and I have used no painkillers so far. However, the back of my throat is in extreme pain. Why would my throat be hurting 10x more than the extraction sites?! Also, I can open my mouth pretty wide, but when closing my mouth I feel pressure at the extraction sites(so I keep my mouth open all the time now). Is this jaw closing problem due to minor swelling at the extraction sites and will subside, or something else?!

Old 10-05-2003, 10:04 AM   #2

marjson HB User
hi, yes this is all normal. sometimes your throat may be sore because of the wearing off of the novacaine. also the not being able to open will also get better. it has only been two days i would say by day 4 or 5 you should be able to open all the way. if you have anymore questions ask. i have worked for an oral surgeon for 9 years.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-05-2003, 04:55 PM   #3

Halruaa HB User
nah, I dont think you understood. Im unable to close my jaw. I can open it fairly wide, I just cant close it. Is this normal?

Old 10-06-2003, 05:53 AM   #4

marjson HB User
do you hear a clicking when you try to close it. you may have some tmj problems that you didn't know about. try to keep opening and closing your mouth like an exersise. keep doing it for about fifteen minutes then stop and go back to it a half an hour later. do this for one day. if it doesn't work then i would call your dr. but i think it will. let me know

Old 10-06-2003, 09:17 AM   #5

Halruaa HB User
I suffer from a condition in which one of the symptoms are infact TMJ. even before I had my teeth pulled, I always had clicking and popping sounds from my jaw. Never any pain, just when I would bite hard, or move my jaw from forward to back it would click or pop. Its day three now since the extraction, im in literally no pain. I havent taken my pain medication because I have no pain! WOOHOO! I can physically close my jaw, thats no problem. However when I close it, I feel pressure at the extraction sites and there is some 'force' that opens my jaw again. I woke up today and noticed I could close my jaw a little easier than yesterday. Any thoughts?

Old 10-06-2003, 09:43 AM   #6

marjson HB User
Talking

i am glad that you are feeling no pain. i really think that the problem is tmj. have you tried taking any advil. 600mg would do it. it is an anit-inflammitory so it should help with any swelling, which is probably why you are having a hard time closing. when is your follow up appt. i hope that it goes well. keep me posted.

Old 10-06-2003, 11:07 AM   #7

Halruaa HB User
No, I havent tried taking advil as of yet. The only medication im taking is an antibiotic(amoxicillin), which I take three every day. Would taking an advil cause problems with that antibiotic? My follow up is on friday I believe, possibly saturday.

Old 10-06-2003, 03:48 PM   #8

marjson HB User
Cool

nope, the advil has no adverse reactions with the antibiotic. as long has you have no bad stomache conditions. sometimes advil can be harsh on your stomach so i would take it will a full glass of water or with some food. let me know

Old 10-06-2003, 07:40 PM   #9

Halruaa HB User
k i've been rinsing with warm salt water several times a day, im going to pass on the advil for now, maybe as a last resort. should I go back into my normal shedule of using my retainer?

Old 10-07-2003, 05:16 AM   #10

marjson HB User
if there is no pain then i would. but just to be on the safe side i would wait until friday. are your retainers plastic or do they have the metal in the front. if they have the plastic then go ahead, if they have the metal, then wait until friday.

Old 10-09-2003, 08:27 PM   #11

Halruaa HB User
this will be my last post probably

all my friends say i've had one of the best experiences with wisdom teeth ever..its day six now. i have no pain(never did to begin with, even without medication), no swelling and i've been complication free. tomorrow is my 'check up' with my oral surgeon, no doubt he'll send me on my way in no time.

i can honestly say, since I fear the dentist..this was a walk in the park. maybe I was just lucky, but im really glad this went that smoothly, and i've had no problems whatsoever. im definitely glad to of gotten them removed when im young. k good luck all with your dental woes, and hope everyone gets their problem worked out. thanks for those who answered me questions

Old 10-09-2003, 08:29 PM   #12

Halruaa HB User
thanks again marjson!

Old 10-11-2003, 07:19 PM   #13

jeezluuweez HB User
I had my wisdom teeth (all 4) extracted 3 days ago and I was wondering if anyone has had any symptoms of dry socket? Only one of the sites has a dull throbbing pain but it isn't that bad. The down side though, is that I can't eat because when I have to rinse the food out it aches really bad!!! So this has been a great weight loss plan!!!!

Closed Thread