It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2003, 07:02 PM   #1

wlcai HB User
Angry My dentist refused to forward my Xray film.

Hi, All,

since my dentist did not do a good job on my dental cleaning (apparently she left many stains there), I decided to change to another dentist. But the old dentist refused to transfer my Xray films to the new dentist. She asked me to pay $25 to get the X-Ray copy. I would like to know whether the dentist is allowed to do so legally according to New York State Regulation (I live in Long Island, NY). Also, can I inform the insurance company to refuse to pay the dentist the cleaning cost (believe me, she did really a bad job)?

Thank you very much for any tips in advance.
-wlcai

Old 10-13-2003, 07:17 PM   #2

jeepcj5 HB User
No you can't get the insurance to refuse payment, that is between you and the dentist, as for the $25, that's pretty standard for duplicating xrays.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-13-2003, 07:45 PM   #3

wlcai HB User
I have changed dentists before, but never be asked to pay the cost and had to pick up the xray film by myself. As the insurance company allows two times of dental cleaning every year, I had to do another cleaning in another dentist due to her bad job. So, I think I could call the insurance to cancel the payment. Anyone has similiar experiences or tips?

-wlcai

Old 10-13-2003, 11:08 PM   #4

Shaman HB User
Have you tried asking your new dentist to request the films from the old dentist? Not every dentist is willing to provide the originals because if they are lost or damaged they can not be replaced, and if they release the originals then their file is incomplete. Since paying for the copies will be cheaper (and safer) then getting a whole new set of x-rays, that is what I would do.

I hope things work out with your new dentist.

Old 10-14-2003, 07:30 AM   #5

wlcai HB User
Hi, Shaman,

Thanks for your advices. The new dentist called the old one for the X-ray film. But they still refused to release it. The only way is I pay them and get one copy.

In Addition, for the bad dental services like I got, where can I file an official complain? Is there any organizations (nationwide or NY stste) to regulate the dentist's services and protect the patient's rights?

-wlcai

Closed Thread