It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2003, 08:27 PM   #1
Inactive

Puzzled HB User
Post for "trying to feel good"

Hi, I was wondering if you could share some of the symptoms that you had with the osteomyelitis. And how it was finally detected. From the blood work alone or were there other tests? Thanks for any help you can provide.

Old 10-12-2003, 10:14 PM   #2

tryingtofeelgood HB User
Thumbs up

Hi Puzzled - search this board for osteomyelitis and you'll be suprised at what you come up with - lots of posts about it. And here is my story - you asked for it !

I had a LOT of pain - excruciating, suicide pain - debilitating first, it was in the tooth, but THEN it was in my jaw and it was constant. I did not sleep for 2 weeks straight. I had a 3 phase bone scan, panorex xrays, blood work and finally the best way to detect, a biopsy of the site - which tells the infectious disease doctor which bugs you have and what antibiotics will kill them. I hope you don't have this - what are your symptoms?

I had my dentist, who I have used since I am 19, bond the tooth with plastic. Over the years the bonding turned yellow and he would replace it with new bonding. I met the man of my dreams and for my wedding this past June, I decided I would go for it and get myself a nice porcelain veneer. In May I went to my dentist and he started the procedure. He filed down my front tooth to the tiniest point I ever did see - it freaked me out to see myself like this. He then put a porcelain veneer on. I thought it looked good from the front view - but after leaving his office, I hated it. It stuck out and didn't match the rest of my teeth. Within a couple of days I was back in his office in severe pain. My palette right behind my front tooth was untouchable and almost felt hot to me. I told him and he said I needed emergency root canal. He started the root canal and put me on antibiotics. I was so sick from the antibiotics, he switched them. I finished them and started more, finishing those too. In the meantime, I am still in pain. He left the back of the tooth completely open so it would drain (little did I know this was causing more of an infection!)! I had the tooth open all the way through my honeymoon - which was the middle/end of June. Upon my return, I phoned him in great pain - he had me come in and he closed the tooth, again. Again, I had terrible pressure and it felt like the tooth was going to explode out of my face. Obviously, he had no idea what to do. I went to an endodontist on the advice of another dentist. The endodontist said the dentist never completed the root canal but closed the tooth. I had a root canal. The pain was still with me. I took more antibiotics. I was referred to an oral surgeon who performed an apicoectomy. He never took any x-rays!! He took out some root above the tooth and an abcess. When I woke from the surgery, I told the nurse that my nose felt funny - almost numb. She said it was from the oxygen. It wasn't! It was because the infection was just spread by the surgery - and now I had more pain than before. I went through 2 weeks of hellacious pain and went to the ER twice for pain meds. All the while, I am losing a lot of weight... end weight loss is 30 lbs. I went back to the oral surgeon and told him the tooth was in agony and that my palette and nose hurt. He told me he would have to extract my tooth. He took no x-ray! He extracted my tooth... my front tooth... I looked like hell. I only wanted the pain to go away and it did, for one day. Then it came back with a vengeance. I went to the oral surgeon complaining of the pain who told me I had a dry socket. He packed this tooth for 4 weeks with antibiotics all the time saying he had never seen a dry socket in the top front tooth, and it was very unusual, and if it didn't go away he would have to refer me to a neurologist. Needless to say, I was terrified and in terrible pain. I ended up in the hospital with dehydration. Oral surgeons came to see me, neurologists cams to see me. The Oral surgeons said it was not a tooth problem. The neurologists said it was possible nerve damage, but most likely it was a dental problem. I KNEW it was a dental problem because the pain NEVER changed and started exactly when I had a porcelain veneer put on my tooth. I was finally given a name of a dentist/doctor in Pennsylvania. I drove there with my husband and parents straight from my hospital bed. Within five minutes of telling this doctor what had happened and his examination of me, he said I had an infection in the bone. He put me on oral antibiotics (Friday), penicillin and scheduled a debridement for Tuesday. I had hope back! That's when I started to research bone infections and learned that it is called OSTEOMYELITIS

This was a year ago. I am heading in FINALLY for HBO, another surgery wherein the surgeon will take a biopsy to check for bugs, and place antibiotic beads directly on the site, get another PICC line and get rid of this thing once and for all!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-13-2003, 06:04 AM   #3
Inactive

Puzzled HB User
Hi, Thank you for taking the time to post that. I have read the other posts on this but was interested in more detail. I have consistent pain in teeth for seven months after dental work but no swelling or pus. I have had a couple of diagnosis including TMJ and trig. nerve disorder. Treatments don't seem to be helping much so I wondered about an infection. If I do have one it is much more low grade than yours as I do not have as severe of pain. The doctors don't seem to think it is an infection. It is scary to think it might be however. I am going to be more persistant if I can not rid myself of this pain soon.
I am so sorry for what you went and are still going through. I am afraid now I caused you to relive the horror by telling your story. It is wonderful of you to offer your insight to others suffering on this board. Thank You! I hope the HBO is the final solution to your nightmare.

Old 10-13-2003, 09:55 AM   #4

tryingtofeelgood HB User
It actually helps me to help others. Plus this thing consumes me and everytime I tell my story I learn something and it gets me further in my research. Thanks for your concerns they are greatly appreciated The dentists are not doing anything about it except telling you it's all in your head. I am glad you do not have much pain. I would get some blood tests done and also a 3 phase bone scan. Is it your TEETH or is it your JAW? Did the do a pulp test on your teeth to see if they are viable? Demand tests and tell them you know your body and you know something is not right. PAIN SHOULD NOT LAST THIS LONG.

Wishing you the best and please feel free to ask questions. I am still waiting to get into the HBO then another procedure and PICC line. I will beat this thing

Old 10-13-2003, 09:56 AM   #5

tryingtofeelgood HB User
P.S. I had no swelling, however I did have draining in my mouth from the site of the tooth. WHAT was the "dental work" you had done?

Old 10-13-2003, 08:50 PM   #6
Inactive

Puzzled HB User
Hi, it really is my teeth that hurt more so than my jaw. When it is really bad it radiates to the jaw.
After talking or chewing. I have had the endodontist check the teeth with ice and bite cusps tests and stuff-is that what you mean about pulp tests? I feel the ice so I don't think the nerves are dead. They have xrayed the bone and say it looks clear. As I mentioned, I am going to give the current TMJ/T.N. treatments a little more time but am educating myself on this as that is the next logical thing to have checked out. THanks for your help. Take care. Let us know how the HBO goes. Deb

Old 10-14-2003, 11:54 AM   #7

tryingtofeelgood HB User
The endo should actually bang on the teeth with an instrument. Have you had xrays? I am glad it's in the teeth and not the jaw. Just make sure that nothing is infected. I wish you the best!

Closed Thread