It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2003, 04:01 PM   #1
(female)

prncssxjx HB User
Question severe tooth infection

hi, i just had a question. trying to ease my overworrying brain

for the past few years i have had an infected tooth, recently i had gotten a root canal. the infection was really severe and the tooth was abcessed. it made me feel pretty lousy for along time.
took antibiotics for a while. and i admit i didnt take them at the times i was supposed to. so the infection is still there. i have to go back on monday and get a cap on my tooth.
but i'm worried about this pain.
i just feel sick..i have pain all on the right side of my head, my right eye, my neck and really bad on my right shoulder. my glands are swollen on that side and it has the same pain on the right side of my jaw where my tooth is.
is this normal for a tooth infection? keep in mind its a pretty bad infection.
i just started back up on amoxicillin yesterday and sofar there are no improvements.
i'm not sure if the pain and ickiness i feel is from this infection or if it could possibly be something else?
i tried to look it up on the internet but i see nothing of neck or shoulder pain. so it kindof worried me because i've been like this a few weeks.
could it possibly be that the infection had spread?
i'm not sure what else could be wrong but it makes me feel horrible and i'm not sure if i should just relax and take the antibiotics and not worry about it...or if i should be concerned that maybe something is wrong and see a doctor or go to the hospital or something?

if you have any ideas please let me know.
this tooth is going to be the death of me. haha

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2003, 04:06 PM   #2
(female)

prncssxjx HB User
oh, and also...i dont really have the pain in the tooth. its not the tooth that hurts...its the jaw and everything around it. like head/neck/jaw/ear, everything. its its not like a typical infection where its swollen and theres a fever and hurts to eat or anything like that. i have no pain with that stuff. its just the pain and achiness of everything else

Old 10-11-2003, 04:09 PM   #3

tryingtofeelgood HB User
Why do you have an infection for so long? It sounds like Osteomyelitis - a bone infection, in your case the jaw. I would immediately get in contact with an infectious disease doctor and an oral surgeon who knows how to treat this. Perhaps going to the University Hospital - or calling the dental department and getting in. Do NOT see a resident/student - see the PROFESSOR only. Get some blood work first thing to check your white and red blood count and SED rate. Get rid of your dentist - why let an infection go on for so long?! and then to root canal it and now a cap? Good lord, he sounds very inadequate. I hope you can find some relief from your pain - it's was debilitating for me. Please feel free to ask ANYTHING!

Old 10-11-2003, 05:57 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattys HB User
I agree with the post above. You definetly need to get this taken care of asap. A tooth infection can be lethal to the body if left go untreated for so long. I have heard of cases of people who have had a tooth infection and left it untreated and the bacteria traveled to there heart and caused damage.

best wishes

Old 10-12-2003, 03:51 AM   #5
(female)

prncssxjx HB User
thanks.
that'll probably be a little hard to do but i'll try it.
yeah, it is in the jaw. i forgot to say that.
the infection kept returning because they said that the source was still there, which was the tooth. so they said after i got the root canal and the tooth fixed up that the infection would go away. so i've been hoping for that with these antibiotics and crossing the lil fingers. hehe
but i just dont know.
but thanks a lot http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/redface.gif)

Old 10-12-2003, 10:23 PM   #6

tryingtofeelgood HB User
Thumbs up

keep us posted please and best of luck BTW, have you made any appointments yet - it's a necessary evil!

Old 10-13-2003, 07:34 PM   #7

jeepcj5 HB User
you won't notice any relief from the antibiotics till the 3 or 4th day. Don't get the crown done until everything is feeling ok.

Old 10-14-2003, 10:19 PM   #8
(female)

prncssxjx HB User
yeah...i was supposed to go on the 13th for the crown.
but i canceled the appointment and changed it to next week so i have time to finish my antibiotics.

Closed Thread