It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2003, 03:44 PM   #1

Willzviewz HB User
Post Dentists = Pain - new filing, now in pain.

Five days ago, my dentist had to remove one of my molar fillings because decay appeared along the edge of the filling. He injected the numbing stuff along the gum. He did the drill thing on the decay then he filled the tooth. Over the past few days, the tooth aches after I drink cold fluids. I have also noticed that the jaw area above the tooth will ache. I called the office a day ago and was told that sometimes there will be aching as a result of the injection into the gum.

My question basically is how long am I going to suffer with pain? Is this a thing where the roots or nerves are all stirred up?

This is why I hate going to the dentist. Tooth pain has to be one of the worst.

Thanks.

Old 10-14-2003, 06:15 PM   #2
Inactive

Puzzled HB User
An endodontist can evaluate the need for a root canal to relieve this pain. I'd see one if the pain does not subside in time. Yeah, this is why I hate going to the dentist too. Hope you feel better soon.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-14-2003, 06:17 PM   #3
Inactive

Puzzled HB User
PS- I would not let a general dentist do a root canal- make sure it is an endodontist. They have more training, and better equipment for the job. Worth the extra money in the long run.

Old 10-15-2003, 11:10 PM   #4

amandajane450 HB User
I just went to the dentist a little more than a week ago for a filling. He told me that area would be sensitive to hot or cold fluids for a couple of days, but mine still is sensitive. So I'm not sure if that's normal or not?! I also had VERY bad pain after that numbing stuff wore off, but I took some Aleve and went to sleep and it was gone.

Old 10-16-2003, 02:07 AM   #5

Percyfaith HB User
I just began my study--reading posts on dental pain. It is good to know others deal with pain- I am not alone. I had three filling done over a month ago and I have considerable tooth pain since the work. I can't find why this is happening to me. If you find releif please post it here.

I found a post from another person from the past which I really related to. So like my situation symptom wise only I have only just begun to deal with this--

It read:
I too have been experiencing pain at various levels of intensity after having had a second molar filling replacement & new pre-molar filling on my lower right jaw approx. 4 weeks ago. During the procedure I also felt a shock while the anasthetic injection was being given. About 1-2 days after the work was done, I started to develop a severe dull pain in my lower teeth which also seemed to moved to the upper teeth. The pain did not seem to be specific to the teeth that were worked on, but seemed to float between lower and upper jaws (on the same side that the work was done), affecting most of the teeth on the right side. I had follow-up x-rays done, and everything seemed to be ok, according to the dentist. She sent me to an Endontist for a second opinion. He thought that perhaps one of the fillings was too deep and perhaps a root canal was in order. I think he's barking up the wrong tree. The pain I'm feeling seems to move in and out from top to bottom, sometimes worse on the top, moving to different areas of the mouth including the canines on the same side. My teeth were tested for pressure and heat sensitivity, and the teeth that were filled were no more sensitive than the others. I have been taking Advil around the clock for the past 4 weeks and have also been to an acupuncturist. I recently purchased magnets to see if this would help. My guess is that some form of Neuralgia resulted from the injection or the anasthetic itself. I have had some improvement in the past week, but can always sense that deep dull pain "ready to attack" at any moment. I had a similar experience with the same dentist almost 10 years ago (which did eventually heal after about a month or so), and thought that perhaps I just had a sensitive mouth, but after reading all these letters I'm starting to think otherwise. P.S. I do not have TMJ. Anyone with similar experiences? If so, what are you doing for treatment?

------------------
Faith, Hope and Prayers,
Martha

Old 11-18-2003, 05:31 PM   #6
(female)

air_20 HB User
Okay, this is going to sound really weird, but here goes...I went to a Dentist I never went to before and had a cavity filling taken out that I had since I was young. Well this Dentist stated that I had to have these two cavities taken out, I asked him to put the white fillings in…instead of the silver filling. He did the procedure, as he was drilling my teeth, it was hurting me A LOT. I left the office and was in MAJOR, MAJOR pain (I'd rather have all my teeth taken out one by one, than have that kind of pain). I went back to him and complained of this pain, he said he would take it out if I wanted (yeah, like I want him to touch me again) Well, I couldn't sleep and was up for nights on end, I then decided to go back to my old dentist that I went to for about 20 years (I didn't go to him in the beginning because of insurance reasons). My old dentist took an x-ray and saw no problems (now I was really confused), he then decided to wait and see what happens, so everyday it got a little bit better, but not enough. For another six months I still had some type of pain between eating and sleeping (this pain went up and down from my ear to my jaw and down my neck). Then my dentist decided it's gotta come out. Well, when I had the cavity taken out, I was in such pain…I was crying SOOOOOOO much while he was trying to take the filling out (he gave me shot after shot after shot, to try and numb the pain). Well, here I am…old cavity out and feeling about 95% better. Well, my question is, has anyone had any problems with this type of situation. To this day I still don’t know what happened to me. Was it the dentist fault, or was there nerve damage that the dentist just couldn't see?
At first I thought I was allergic to the white filling, I know it wasn't that because I had one filling taken out and I still have one white filling still in and that ones okay now.

Closed Thread