It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2003, 07:31 PM   #1

misserika HB User
Unhappy help

i am 23 years old and suffer from severe tooth decay. It all started back when I got pregnant with my first daughter in 98. I had bad pain when brusing which prevented me from brushing certain teeth in my mouth. I went to a dentist about 3 years ago and he embarassed me so bad about the condition of my teeth that I haven't been to a dentist since. I am an attractive young lady and I have developed social anxirty over the way my mouth looks. They are truly in bad shape. Almost every one of them is dacayed. I don't know what to do, I am so scared to go to the dentist. WHat will they think? What if they can't save my teeth? If I had to get dentures would there be a period of time that I would have to go with no teeth at all? Ahhhhhh HELP ME>

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-08-2003, 03:59 PM   #2

Yos HB User
Hi MissErika,

The last dentist you visited obviously had poor chairside manners. I like to think that they are the exception rather than the norm. Go to a different dentist. If a dentist offends you in any manner, tell them. More than likely they'll apologize and not do it again. If they don't apologize tell them to finish what they are doing so you can leave to find another dentist. Dentists are businessmen too. They don't like to lose paying customers.

Being a 23 year old with decay as severe as you suggest might indicate that there is some other cause for the decay other than decay that is result of neglect. Sometimes dental problems are a side effect of vaccines or other drugs. Some dental problems are also a result of a physical defect or deficiency. Your tooth decay may not be your fault.

As for dentures, with a little bit of planning, people can have all of their teeth extracted and fitted with dentures in a single day. It's a very common procedure these days. I sincerely hope that it doesn't come down to that for you at such a young age. Please, see a dentist soon.

Yos

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-12-2003, 08:43 PM   #3

misserika HB User
Well, I know I shouldn't be this big of a baby about it but it really gives me anxiety attacks. Today my eye tooth broke almost all the way off. I have felt sick to my stomach all day and I can't even talk to my fiance because I feel like such an ***. I can't deal with this anymore. I'm so scared of what any dentist is going to say about the condition of my teeth it's not even funny. I'm embarassed. I am SO embarassed. I wish I knew what went wrong with my teeth, they were SO beautiful and straight not even that long ago. It was during my pregnancy that things got out of hand. I don't know what to do. I have medical assitance and it is almost impossible to find a regular dentist let alone an Oral Surgeon. What can they do for a broken tooth thats almost all the way gone? Will I need a fake one? Could they maybe just put a filling or something on it? PLEASE HELP ME.

Old 10-12-2003, 09:33 PM   #4

shiva22 HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by misserika:
What can they do for a broken tooth thats almost all the way gone? Will I need a fake one? Could they maybe just put a filling or something on it? PLEASE HELP ME.
They probably will have to crown it, which from my own experience is not nearly as scary as it sounds. If done properly, it looks even nicer than your original teeth! They could also possibly do some bonding on it, or maybe even veneers if there's enough tooth structure left.

I'm twenty-two years old (and female) and in a pretty similar situation to you (my teeth had decayed so badly over years of neglect that I needed to have five separate appointments for cavities, one root canal with a post/crown, and now will need cosmetic work when I can afford that, heh), so I know how embarrassing and horrifying it is to have these things happening at such a young age. But it IS comforting to know that they can do amazing things now a days restoratively and cosmetically.

I have dental phobia too, what worked well for me was I had a friend call different dental offices because I was too scared to, and ask ridiculous questions - just to see how well they treated potential patients. I found a great dentist that way who is so gentle and caring.

Good luck. *hugs*

Old 10-14-2003, 05:58 PM   #5

Yos HB User
Hi again Miss Erika,

There are a number of different solutions that can be used on your tooth depending on the type of damage it's suffered. Only a dentist can determine the most suitable solution but that seems to be a part of the problem; getting to a dentist.

The first thing you need to do is to to put the horse in front of the cart, so to speak. Somehow you have to deal with your phobia in order to make an appointment to see a dentist. Shiva had a great idea to work around her phobia. You might be able to find a similar solution. Or, you can search the internet for a solution. Many dental phobia resources can be found by simply searching on words like "dental phobia", "dental fears" or a similar combination of other key words. It may take a little research but there's a good chance you'll find something to give you some guidance and point you in the right direction.

If you're on medical assistance talk to the agency that takes care of your medical financial needs. If anybody can point you in the right direction concerning dental assistance they should be able to. There are other alternatives that you can consider as well. Depending on where you live you may be able to join a dental discount group. They seem to be popular in the USA these days. If there is a dental school in your area they always offer reduced rates for dental work and they're most likely to diagnose your problems correctly and fix your teeth properly than your average dentist. They're usually well supervised too. Some dentists also offer payment plans if extensive work is needed. Somewhere, there is a financial solution that you can afford.

I hope this has been of some help. Oh ya, one more thing. Please talk to your finacee about this. There's no need to go through this alone when your best source of support is right there next to you. Good luck!

Yos

Old 10-19-2003, 02:37 PM   #6

Clan Elliott HB User
It's not unusual to have problems with teeth developing during a pregnancy. That hungry little guy growing inside you takes every bit of nutrition it can get, which makes it tough for you to keep up with your own needs.

Try not to be so hard on yourself - you've done nothing wrong, after all, just been living your life to the best of your ability, as do we all.

I wonder if you won't feel less panic simply by seeing a caring, understanding dentist who will treat you with the respect you deserve?

It sure helped me - I was a nervous wreck, shaking, on the verge of tears, I didn't think I could ever take that risk of opening my mouth and displaying to all the fact I was a dentist's nightmare and how ashamed I was to admit this fact. But the dentist was kind, understanding and never once made me feel bad about myself.

When I was bemoaning those teeth that had gone bad, he made note of the good teeth I still had and how it wasn't all that bad. If *I* was able to find the help I needed - and am also on Medicaid - surely you will be able to do so.

You are very young with many, many years ahead of you. It's not a privilege to have proper dental care - it's your right. Demand it.

Good luck - hope things will get better for you very soon.

Closed Thread