It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2003, 12:16 AM   #1

pav HB User
Post Immediate Dentures

I had all my teeth extracted and dentures inserted just 4 days ago, and after surfing the net I found this wonderful website. I have read almost every entry on the topic of immediate dentures, and this has enabled to help me understand what's happening and why. It has helped ease my feelings of uncertainty, pain and enabled me to look forward to enjoying my beautiful smile again (I had a car accident about 7 years ago and have spent thousands of $'s trying to save my teeth.
Thank you all - you are all wonderful
Thanks
Pav

Old 09-06-2003, 03:39 PM   #2

Yos HB User
Hi Pav,

You've probably read a few of my posts. It's good to hear that you're finding the denture threads helpful. I hope you haven't had any complications and that you're making good progress. It's great to be able to smile again isn't it? Good luck and keep smiling!

Yos

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-06-2003, 04:18 PM   #3

pav HB User
Thanks Yos - yes I read all your posts and they helped tremendously. I have been pretty good - I have had some good blisters and sore spots, but within another week, I am sure I'll be fine. My smile is great and focus on that when my mouth hurts.

Thanks againa nd take care
Pav

Old 10-01-2003, 02:17 AM   #4

pav HB User
Hi Yos - well I have had some problems over the last couple of weeks. One of my lower roots was wrapped around the bone, so the dentist left it in hoping all would be ok. Unfortunately I now have a bad infection and I'm taking double antibiotics to combat this. It has created problems with the lower denture as the swelling in my gum has thrown the denture totally out of 'whack'. I am going to an oral surgeon on Monday to have the root removed (hopefully), and look forward to getting back on track.
After a few adjustments the top denture is not too bad - my dental mechanic has told me to get relines after 3 or 4 months and even longer if possible.
I have been reluctant to use Polident whilst I have the infection, but once that's fixed I'll be giving it a try, as eating anything other than mushy 'stuff' is just a dream, due to the gum pain.
I hope you and your mouth are well!!!!

Old 10-01-2003, 04:13 PM   #5

Yos HB User
Hi again Pav

Me and my mouth are very well. Thank you for asking. I'm sorry to hear about the complications you're experiencing. New dentures are difficult enough all by themselves never mind having an infection as well. I hope you're not "resistant" to antibiotics. The sooner they start to work the sooner the swelling will go down and the sooner the swelling goes down..... well, you get the idea. I hope you have the root removed despite having to traumatize your gums again. The last thing you want is the possibility of recurring infections. If you're like many new denture wearers, that was one of the symptoms of bad teeth that dentures were supposed to address!

You've had your dentures for a month now. Most new denture wearers have a soft reline done in the first 2 to 4 weeks after extractions because the gums resorb (shrink) the most in the first month. Given the situation with your lower gum I wouldn't be rushing out to have a soft reline done now but you should consider it when your gum has healed sufficiently after removing the "wrap around" root. Removing the root will also change the shape of your lower gum in that area so the denture will need adjustment. A soft reline should do that. So see your dentist about the fit once the gums have healed a bit after getting the root removed.

The easiest way to tell if you need a soft reline is to check for movement in the dentures. Clench down on the rear teeth with moderate pressure. Both the upper and lower denture should press firmly together with little or no movement and with even pressure on the gums. If either the upper or lower denture tips from front to back or side to side that would indicate a problem with the fit. I had a soft reline done near the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd month after extractions. Then I went for 3 months without another soft reline until the hard reline which I had done at 6 months. Tomorrow (today for you) it will be 10 months since my extractions. Getting dentures was one of the wiser things I've done with my life in recent history.

It's important that your dentures fit as well as possible in the first few months but because your gums are changing quickly and constantly during that time it's not easy to maintain a really good fit for long. Learning to eat with with well fitting dentures is difficult enough. You don't need poorly fitting dentures to make matters more difficult than they need to be. You might even want to consider getting a soft reline if only to put to rest any questions you have about how your dentures should fit and feel.

I hope your infection goes away quickly and that they take out that root. With a little bit of luck you'll be able to start eating a little more than "mushy stuff" soon afterwards. Good luck!

Yos

Old 10-01-2003, 09:05 PM   #6

fairiegoddess HB User
i too have full uppers and lowers. i have to be honest and say that i hate the lower ones..they just irk me for some reason..better than what i had before tho by far. for the sore spots u will get u can use ohhhhhhh whats that stuff called..ambesol. helps to numb that spot a lil. after awhile i didnt even notice that i have upper ones..well yenno what i mean, they will never feel like the real thing but its comfy enough that i never notice it. my bottom ones were the immediate ones..and the upper ones i waited till i was healed and i wish i had done the same with the bottom ones. u may also notice lil pieces of bone wanting to come out..i just picked em out if i was able so i didnt have to spend more money at the dentist. so if u get those that is normal. ive always been kinda curious as to how they do the relinging or whatever its called..to get a better fit. both of mine are loose but i just use fixodent gel. tops ones have been loose for a long time but ive never really been bothered by it. u guys know how they do it? i know it was priced at about 300 per upper and lower but ive never understood how its done? do u get all new teeth put into the mold also??

Old 10-02-2003, 01:58 AM   #7

pav HB User
Hi guys, thanks so much for your replies.
Yos, I am going to an oral surgeon on Monday, so hopefully the root will be removed then.
They seem to have a different approach with dentures here in Australia, as I've checked with my dentist as well as others and they just do one reline (two at tops).
Yes, I'll wait until the shrinkage is complete and have them done then.
Fairee - our costs here in oz vary somewhat from US as well, so maybe someone else can advise you re that.
Thanks again - Pav
ps - these threads have been an incredible help

Old 10-02-2003, 05:09 PM   #8

Yos HB User
Hi all

Pav
Soft relines are basically for short term comfort and convenience. My soft relines were included in my treatment plan cost so of course I didn't say no when the dentist wanted to reline the dentures The soft relines also made the dentures fit well enough that I didn't need to use adhesives. You can't go wrong following your dentist's advice and doing what you think is best for your circumstances.

Fairiegoddess
If you haven't been to a dentist in a while you should see one . Even denture wearers should have an oral examination at least once a year to make sure the gums are healthy and that no oral diseases or cancers have developed. If you have an examination I'm sure the dentist will suggest a hard reline. Dentures that don't fit properly (even ones that are glued in) will lead to accellerated bone loss and the gums becoming flabby. After spending all that money on dentures why put your oral health at risk again?

legaldiva
It's impossible to say how long it will take for you to speak normally again. So much depends on how quickly your gums heal and the speech problems you encounter, if you encounter any at all. Some people don't have any problems, others never sound quite the same. The most common advice is to read aloud and practice speaking. On average I'd say that people take a couple of weeks off to recuperate and adapt to their new dentures. From what I read of their experiences, speech problems seem to sort themselves out by then. Hopefully, you'll have few problems.

[This message has been edited by Yos (edited 10-02-2003).]

Old 10-03-2003, 08:54 PM   #9

fairiegoddess HB User
thank you yos...i guess i never thought i needed to go that bad once i got dentures but i will for sure heed ur advice to the original poster..for me the speech was only a prob till my mouth and tongue got used to the dentures..then all was well again. you will gain so much confidence!! i never felt so happy 5 years ago when i could smile without being afraid..and actually that feeling still remains. once your all healed and stuff ull see..ull be amazed how good it makes u feel!! thank you again yos...oh one more question tho..what will the dentist do being i have no teeth? just xray the gums i presume? i got my uppers right about 5 years ago and the lowers oh about a year ago. minus the sores u do get once in a blue moon they have been fine..i have also heard conflicting theories about taking them out at night. i cannot for the life of me cannot i say lol...stand to be without my uppers in. i take them out to soak em and stuff but right back in they go. my lowers tho i take out almost every night. my lower jaw tends to get that heavy feeling if i leave em in so i take those out at night..uppers i will go bonkers if i take em out at night. good luck to you and im so glad u got it done...u will feel so much better ull see!

Old 10-04-2003, 10:30 AM   #10

Yos HB User
Hi fairiegoddess,

The dentist may take xrays but only if he/she thinks something is wrong under the gums. ChancesR the dentist will just poke his fingers around your mouth - make sure nothing nasty is happening in there and check the bite to make sure the teeth match up. If you got your lowers only a year ago I'm surprised the dentist didn't do something with the upper denture back then (maybe he/she did and you just weren't aware of it).

The question of whether to take dentures out or leave them in has probably been debated since dentures were invented. I think it's one of those questions that really doesn't have a right or wrong answer and in the end boils down to personal preference. I prefer to take my dentures out at night. It gives my gums and the roof of my mouth a little air and I don't miss wearing the dentures while I'm asleep. I soak the dentures overnight in polident as well. I'm a tea drinker so I think it needs the overnight soak to keep the staining at bay.

I've had my dentures almost a year now and I haven't experienced what you describe as "sores u do get once in a blue moon". I had sores after first getting the dentures and after a hard reline but they're expected at those times. Otherwise I haven't had any pain that is denture related http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/dance.gif If you're getting sore areas from normal daily wear it may be an indicator of some other problem.

Yos

Old 10-04-2003, 03:53 PM   #11

fairiegoddess HB User
thank you for ur input as i had been a lil curious. i also dont get sores but have had a few in 5 years, nothing more than what feels like a cold sore. i dont think the dentist did anything with the uppers that im aware of. but i guess i better get my rear in there i guess lol.

Old 10-05-2003, 10:17 AM   #12

Allen50 HB User
Thumbs up

Thanks for all your posts. I'm on my 1st. month of having immeadiate dentures and from all the posts from everyone all is going accordingly.

Old 10-06-2003, 01:59 AM   #13

pav HB User
Hi all, I went to the oral surgeon hoping to have the root removed - alas not so. He (wisely) sent me for an xray to see if there were any others and there is another root (from an extraction I had from a 'shocker' of a dentist a few years ago.
Subsequently I couldn't get another appointment until November 13.
Anyway I'll manage until then.
Alan - I hope all goes well for you - this board has been wonderful for me and has helped me through some not so good days.
Take care
Pav

Old 10-06-2003, 03:44 PM   #14

Yos HB User
Hi Allen, Pav

Allen,
Glad to hear the posts here are being helpful. It sounds like things are going well for you and I hope it continues that way.

Pav,

Sorry to hear that things didn't work out like you hoped it would. What's really too bad is that the oral surgeon couldn't fit you in sooner than 5 weeks away. I'm sure this is something that you'd really like to get done and over with. In the meantime I hope antibiotics will keep the infection in check and any swelling down so that you can at least wear the denture.

Good luck folks!!

Yos

Old 10-19-2003, 02:08 PM   #15

Allen50 HB User
Question

I have a quick question concerning removal of denture adhesive. I have had one soft reline since my immediate dentures and have had to resort to denture adhesive as my gums are healing (shrinking). Although the adhesive is working well for me, what do you use to remove it from my gums? I have been using a soft toothbrush but can't seem to remove all of it, especially from healing sockets.

Closed Thread