It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2003, 09:26 PM   #1
Inactive

SoManyTroubles HB User
Post I have to get Dentures What should I do?

Hello all.........Well I am very nervous about this whole thing now that I have read many posts about Dentures in general. It runs in my family and ofcourse it would happen to me. I am only 24, and I am not finacially secure so this is going to be hard for me to get this done. I am looking at dental plans to save some major bucks since I really dont have the money to do what I need. I dont have a job because im to insecure about the whole thing. My guess is that I am more than likely looking to get Immediate Dentures (which costs more) but it seems to be the best thing to do. I have been thinking about asking my Mother in Law to let me barrow the money, and right when I get this done take a week or two to recover, and then get a job immediatly so I can pay her back. The thing is I cant get up enough guts to talk to her about it. My Mother dont have the money to help me out, and I couldnt even get a loan when I did have a job. Im just so upset about this whole thing I just dont know what to do anymore. My life sucks I dont like to go out anymore or talk to people so Im sure everyone thinks Im just so stuck up. I wish I could save my teeth, but the dentist (from like a year ago) said my teeth is like eggshells. No kidding. Another time like 2 years ago a dentist was really rude to me, and had me in tears. Everytime I go I just start crying. I dont even know why I do go if I dont have the money to do anything. My teeth dont normally hurt and I am shocked and surprised really. After reading all about this last night I got a really big headache and my right side of my mouth hurt for over an hour and I think I cried myself to sleep. I must be the biggest baby in the world lol I always ask myself what did I do to deserve this. Im sorry Im not even getting to the point. I feel like I have noone to talk to about this Face to Face.

So is the Immediate dentures the best way for me to go based on everything I said above? Is the teeth pulling about whats going to cost the most? How do they do this do they put you to sleep, or just shoot you up with the numbing stuff? Also I know I need upper Dentures, and they say I need lower also but the lower isnt as bad as the upper, and I just dont want to have to deal with 2 sets of dentures to take care of. One more thing the dentist said something like I have good gums or bone tissue or something and I wouldnt need anything to hold them in???? Is this even possible. I know my mother has to use the powder stuff to hold them in?

Thanks for listening if it wasnt for this Healthboard I would feel so alone!!!

Any help on this matter would be great!!!

Thanks Melissa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2003, 10:48 AM   #2

Yos HB User
Hi SoManyTroubles

Sorry to hear that you're having a problem like this at such a young age. I hope that you'll be able to find the strength that you'll need to deal with it. Judging from your post you're dealing with it exceptionally well so far. If your condition is hereditary I hope you're talking to other family members that have gone what you are going through now. If anybody, they will be the ones that will be able to give you the support you need.

Now, your denture questions. Immediate dentures are the most popular these days. Some immediate dentures are not so immediate as others. Some people have all (or most in the case of partial dentures) of their teeth extracted and the denture put in right away. Other people have a few teeth extracted at a time and the denture put in after the last few teeth are taken out. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. The reason immediate dentures cost more than the traditional method is because of the soft relines needed while the gums are healing and a hard reline once the gums have finished healing. My calculated guess is that relines work out to about 10% of the total cost of an upper or lower immediate denture which is pretty reasonable given the advantage of not being without teeht for a couple of months. For sedation, there are three common types: general anaesthetic which puts you to sleep, the needle with novocaine and "conscious sedation" which by the sound of it is something like getting super stoned - you're awake, aware of what's going on but don't feel a thing and don't remember much afterwards. At this point in time I wouldn't worry too much about whether you'll have to use adhesive or not to keep the denture in. You have a few obstacles to overcome before you reach that stage.

I hope you can find some way to raise the money to do the work you need done. If you're in serious need of dental work and don't have the money there may be some local or state agencies that can help you out - charities for lack of a better word. Talk to the dentist too. Some dentists will let you pay over time. You could also stretch out the extractions and pay as you go. That may give you time to save up for the cost of the denture. Some people will even go to a dental school where "wannabe" dentists get to practice on patients under a qualified dentists supervision. It's not free but it is inexpensive compared to regular dentist fees.

I hope this information is of some help to you. Good luck! And if you have any more questions, please ask. There's a really good chance someone will have an answer for you.

Yos

Old 10-08-2003, 07:23 AM   #3

lost-in-america HB User
Michael~
SoManyT~
I am in a similiar situation, w/ my bottom teeth. Runs in my family, too. If I hear the word "investment" from another dentist, I might scream. I have had alot of crap done, crowns....that don't last....partials that won't fit, bridges that broke, yada yada yada. I have bought partials twice and would't....Couldn't wear them in any comfort whatsoever. They are in the bottom of my pocket book right now

My Dad had his all pulled at 30, too. But he talked me out of dentures. He said "don't think your troubles are over w/ dentures" My advise is absolutely SAVE what you can! It is soooo expensive to do anything, I know, I could have put a kid through dental school cheaper than what I've spent and still have to spend.

Implants are a fing joke! Who has $50,000 for those! Dental schools are also a joke, they don't want any 'guinia pigs' with real problems...at all. To find this opportunity is harder than winning the lottery.

Here is about the only thing I have found, which is still very expensive, but not as bad. If you live near or can get to Canada, the dollar is worth more there. Some of the dental work is much less. Check around, though. There are wealthier cities that may not be any cheaper.

If you live near Las Vegas, there is a school there that I have heard of, it's for advanced studies. I don't know how hard it would be, but you could check. It's called LVI (LVIDocs.com)...I think. I don't think you can find out to much from the site, but it can tell you where the school is etc.

I tried the route of having one thing done at a time. By the time I was abble to do something else, I was fixing what had already been fixed! So now, after a total of $12,000+, My teeth still look like crap.

There are partials that are made from a flexible material, Valplast, I have been thinking about them, for my bottoms. The bottoms are the most uncomfortable and hardest to ever fit, dentures or partials. But, a big part of that is because they are so darn HARD! Check out the web for info on Valplast, I'd put a site addy here, but it would get erased.

Just make sure you find out all options for yourself BEFORE you decide on dentures. You can't go back. Much, much luck ! Don't forget the Canada thing. Maybe a 'poorer' area.
Lost

Old 10-08-2003, 11:36 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

lins6108 HB User
Talking

I would like to throw this out there. You can get credit care which is a dental credit card. They approved me at the age of 20 to use $3,000.00. Maybe try doing a search on the web for credit care.
Wish you the best of luck http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/redface.gif)

Old 10-08-2003, 11:40 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

lins6108 HB User
It is actually called care credit. I just looked it up on msn search. You would only have to pay a small monthly amount. Which would be worth it....k

Old 10-11-2003, 05:19 PM   #6

PunchnJudy HB User
Hi---Sorry to hear about your dental problems. First, check whether there is a dental school in your area. These schools usually charge less money. Second, get an opinion from this school whether or not you really need dentures. If your teeth aren't breaking, they can't be like "eggshells." Dental schools are usually part of the University so call your University and see if there is a dental school. If your teeth can be saved, the dental school can do it.
If worse comes to worse and you really do need dentures, realize that it is going to take time to get used to them. It is not like having your own teeth. You have to learn how to speak and eat all over again. Dentures shouldn't need any kind of goop to keep them in---dentures need to be refitted to your mouth every few years.
DO NOT LET ANYONE EXTRACT YOUR TEETH UNTIL YOU ARE SURE IT NEEDS TO BE DONE!!!!!

Old 10-16-2003, 01:16 AM   #7

jeepcj5 HB User
sounds great! Glad to hear you're not getting the bottom denture (they are terrible) esp at your age. I know $ is a concern but I would try to get your bottom teeth fixed sooner than later. If you wait too long for treatment, it could end up more expensive. I think you'll get used to the lower partial just fine. Good luck

Old 10-17-2003, 05:42 PM   #8

taylor 57 HB User
Wink

Hi Melissa, I am so glad you got the money for your dentures. I am 26 and just got all my top teeth extracted and all the bottom but the 6 front teeth. I also got the immediate dentures. It was a hard decision to make cause theres such a stigma with them that only old people have them but I was sick of paying thousands of dollars every year and not getting anywhere so I went got dentures. It was a pretty hard experience to go through at first but I finally am so glad that I did it. No more pain!!!!!If you ever have any questions about getting dentures, what to expect, feel free to email me! GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------

Old 10-28-2003, 01:28 AM   #9
Inactive

SoManyTroubles HB User
Hello again...........

I cant believe I took so long to reply back about what happend when I went in for my Impressions.

I went in on Oct 21st for my Impressions. I have to say it was prob the worst thing I have ever done in my life!!!!! I hated it! It didnt hurt or anything but still it was uncomfortable and I didnt even think the little well big mouth peice was even going to fit in my mouth!!

I have heard some ppl ask about what color they should get. Well he had some plastic teeth there that were all differnt shades and he picked the one that matched my bottom teeth. Which was good because who wants perfect white teeth on the top and not the bottom LOL

Anyway dont get me wrong the impressions werent that bad but all day I was thinking about it and still had the taste in my mouth.

I only had to put 1/2 down for the Immediate Denture which was $250 so that wasnt too bad.

The best thing is that I go in on Nov 5 to get my upper teeth extracted and my denture in They say it takes about 2 weeks for the denture to be ready so I had to schedule my apointment for around that time.

The only bad thing about the extraction part is that Im just going to get numbed and have them pulled. So I will know everything thats going to happen. I think I might just get tired and fall asleep hopfully lol They say it may take up to 3 hours!!!! How is that? That seems like a very long time to pull 15 teeth.

Does anyone know how much more it would cost to take a pill or a shot or something. I dont mind the pulling of the teeth just the pressure is what bugs me the most!

I will reply back after that date and let everyone know what happend and how it went. I know there are alot of ppl with questions so I will be back to give all the info!

I think the Denture will look great. They have been doing them for 20 years also he wants to make sure they are perfect for me

Those ppl Ill tell you are so nice, and I cant believe I finally found a good dentist and caring ppl.

Ill be back soon all!!!!!!!!!!!

Take Care!!!!

Closed Thread