It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2006, 07:14 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

wintersun HB User
Will I EVER get used to my dentures???

I am 2 mos post op now. The sores have stopped, but I can't get rid of the excess saliva. My mouth feels (and IS) so slimey all the time..
Am I just one of those who can't wear them? Or does this happen to everyone...?
I can't stand all that slime in my mouth, and can't even talk half the time..between the saliva and excess slime in my mouth..
I feel a lot more depressed now than I did when I had my nasty teeth...
I do not have any confidence now, and don't want to talk to anyone-because I never know which words I won't be able to say, 'till they come out..
I had a LOT more confidence and personality w/ my nasty teeth than I do now..
So I'm NOT that girl in commercials-yeah they look good-but are not too functional-I'm always late back from lunch, 'cos it takes me longer to eat now..
I just HOPE they understand...

Any advice?-or I will beg for hugs also, LOL!

[Please avoid cuss/slang words or characters that depict them. Thanks - Well-come Moderator.]

Last edited by Well-come; 01-14-2006 at 09:17 PM.

Old 01-14-2006, 07:40 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

crisma HB User
Re: Will I EVER get used to my dentures???

Hello! Having dentures is a long and rocky road, but it DOES get better. I got my full set of dentures almost a year ago, and I think I am finally almost "normal". The excess saliva and the yucky, disgusting, slimey feeling does go away. But it does take time. I still occasionally get it, but usually just when I sleep in mine. Are you using adhesive? If I have mine glued in real good, I don't have any problems talking. But if they are loose I still have problems. I know you don't believe this, but it will get better! Think of all the pain you aren't in because of the bad teeth! I really hope it gets better for you!

Cristie
(lots of hugs!!! )

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2006, 08:21 PM   #3
(female)

RedRubySlippers HB User

It does take time to adjust especially if you went from having teeth into a denture. If time has past and you are truly still miserable you may want to ask your dentist about implants and an overdenture.

Old 01-16-2006, 07:57 PM   #4
(female)

peckhouser HB User

I am four months post op and for the first couple of weeks I was drooling all over the place.I sucked on mints until it tapered off.Had the freshest breath around.If you don't like mints you could try hard candy....at least it can't hurt your teeth....lol.Just be patient,things will get better with time.

Old 01-16-2006, 08:32 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

wintersun HB User

I am so glad to hear that I'm not the only one!!
I DO hope it gets better-at least they feel comfortable, and I have to make it a second habit to open my mouth wider when I talk now. Hard to remember...

THANKS!!

Old 01-16-2006, 09:21 PM   #6
(female)

blueheartlady HB User

You're ahead of me....I'm only 12 days into this new adventure....and I know how you feel....I don't know if the day of finally getting use to these will ever come. Everyone says 'the day' will come, not to give up, but this early into it...all I feel is depressed. I can't eat, I can't talk. But I'm really really trying to stay upbeat about it. Just knowing that I'm not alone helps.

I'm sending you lots and lots of hugs....

Old 01-17-2006, 05:22 AM   #7
(female)

peckhouser HB User

let me put it this way....feb.1st i will have had my dentures 5 months.i can eat anything and i no longer need adhesives.i never thought i would be able to accomplish this much this soon so anything is possible.if you can't see the light at the end of the tunnel....keep looking,you'll see it eventually.

Old 04-01-2006, 10:38 AM   #8
(female)

JanD HB User

I only have my upper denture since Wed. I know it is soon and I am getting apprehensive but every says it WILL get better. This Wed I have the stitches removed. I know what you mean about the saliva and slimey feel. I have starting sucking on sugar free hard candy and it does help.

Closed Thread