It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2006, 12:14 AM   #1
(female)

Janesylvia HB User
Do I need to have deep cleaning and does deep cleaning cause gum receding?

Last Aug., my dentist told me I had about 4 tartars and suggested a deep cleaning.
Last September, I had a flap surgery on one quadrant and the periodontist cleared one tartar. I used a scalor and cleared two tartars. Three weeks ago, I had a dental visit, and I told my dentist there was one tartar between two molars, which is hard for me to clear. She used a scalar and cleared the tartar. She told me she had poked deep enough and have cleared the entire tartar. So all 4 tartars are gone.

Next month, I'll have my brace put on for orthodontic treatment. I asked my family dentist if I need to have a deep cleaning before the brace. They checked my insurance and the insurance company said they would pay for all four quatrants. Then my dentist said they would suggest the 3 quardrants to be cleaned, except for the quadrant that had the flap surgery. They said they still see plaque on the X-ray that I took on 01/03/2006.

I don't know if I really need the deep cleaning. My orthodontist did not suggest it. I had a deep cleaning 2 years ago, at that time I requested not to have anaesthesia. Also, would the deep cleaning contribute to gum receding or interdental papilla (black triangle)?

Any suggestion is greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2006, 08:55 PM   #2
(female)

RedRubySlippers HB User
Re: Do I need to have deep cleaning and does deep cleaning cause gum receding?

Usuaully a flap is layed out if you have deep pockets (the space between the roots of your teeth and gums). The main purpose of a flap is for access to the roots of the teeth. If you have been practicing good oral hygiene (by keeping your plaque levels low) and your pockets have resolved then you don't need a deep cleaning. A regualr cleaning should suffice but ultimately that will be determined by your dentist.

You should have your family dentist take care of your cleaning.

I wanted to address your question since a few people have asked about whether gum recession can be caused by a deep cleaning. When plaque and calculus build up in your gums it causes your gums to swell up. This swelling is due to the body trying to defend the itself from the invading bacteria in the plaque. When the plaque and calculus is removed the gum tissue shrinks which may give the appearance of gum recession. When indicated for it a deep cleaning should not cause gum recession.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread