It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2006, 09:47 AM   #1
(female)

Jaypey HB User
Pain after crown/veneers

I recently had 5 veneers and one crown fitted to my front teeth. Soon after the procedure I experienced pain in all the teeth on the right side of my mouth. After 5 weeks the pain localised into my front right tooth and an abscess formed. This was treated with antibiotics and later surgery to "clean" the tooth. Thinking this would be the end of my problems I went on to be extremely disappointed to find that the pain continued, but only appearing at night or when consuming hot/cold food/drink. X-rays were taken but nothing was revealed and my dentist remains mystified as to what is causing the pain. I can only hope that the pain will subside with time, but after 2 months I really do not see this happening. I love my new teeth, but the pain is causing me much misery. Has anyone experienced this after veneers/crowns?

Old 01-25-2006, 10:21 AM   #2
(female)

s.g. HB User
Re: Pain after crown/veneers

OMG I can't believe it. After all this time I have finally found someone who is going through the same thing. I give the short version. I was born without lateral incisors. My canine were moved via braces into the place where I should have had laterals. They were bonded to look as close to laterals as possible. I had this done 10-15 years ago. Over time I started to notice my right front tooth was turning a yellowish brown color. I found out my root has calcified, which caused the discoloration. My bonding was also chipping and discoloring due to time. I got 3 veneers. One on my discolored central incisor and one on each lateral. They are an improvement over my other teeth. My only regret is that I didn't do the other incisor. But it doesn;t look bad. Anyways, I have had pain in my right front tooth since I had this done. I thought maybe I was crazy. I couldn't find a person in the www that has had this problem and my dentist is stumped. I never had a root canal performed so I was wondering if i am having pain from not having one done on my dead tooth. It has never been infected or caused me pain until after the veneer. I just went to the dentist again and he couldn't see anything in the X-Ray and he did not recommend a root canal. I am beside myself. I have pain constantly except for when I sleep or eat. That is opposite of you. Otherwise we have the same thing wrong whatever it is. Does your tooth feel aching or does it feel like a pulsating, burning, cut like feeling? Just wondering. Please write back I finally found someone like me. It is a miracle. Now we need to figure out how to get this to stop. I am miserable. Sorry to ramble on. I am just so excited to find someone who knows what I am talking about. Please write back.

s.g

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2006, 05:53 AM   #3
(female)

Jaypey HB User

Hello SG

I have to say, I am pretty fed up with the pain I am getting as before the surgery my teeth were fine and had been for years. The only problem were my front 6 teeth, which had become aesthetically unpleasant to look at due to veneers being placed on them in the late 80's. Soon after having that procedure an abscess formed in the front right tooth and I ended up having to have middle of the night emergency treatment to drain the tooth. Then, the dentist doing the work, in his infinate wisdom decided to fill it with a black filling. Because of this the tooth progressively went black over the years until I decided that I could stand it no more and decided to have the whole lot done privately.

So here I am fairly happy with the results (now wish I'd gone for a whiter shade), but with this constant toothache night and day. And I say it is an ache rather than the others that you described because it is just an overall ache in the right side of my mouth. For some reason it will always start about an hour after falling asleep and can happen at anytime of the day. I notice that the cold or heat hits the canine tooth underneath and sends shockwaves through my whole mouth and then tails off to the dull ache.

I have been back to my dentist 3 times since the abcess and despite the cleaning process the pain still continues. He even took X-rays of both the front and the back teeth, but nothing shows up and basically he really does not know what is causing it. All I can do is wait for the pain to 'localise' and spend another £xxx on having treatment to cure it...if there is a cure!
J

Last edited by Jaypey; 01-26-2006 at 05:57 AM.

Old 06-05-2010, 08:05 PM   #4
(female)

Dreyfus HB User

I had a crown done and it ached for 3 months. I have Fribromyalga and this syndrome makes any trauma cause much more pain than it should.
I finally got fed up with it after numerous visits back to the dentist. I made a final appointment ready to tell him to remove it. As I sat there the pain went away!
I attribute it to my Fibro. No advice from me LOL

Closed Thread