It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2006, 05:36 AM   #1
(female)

sixstringlass HB User
Exclamation Pain A Month After Root Canal?

In 2003, the second-from-the-back molar on the right-hand side (I had my wisdom teeth removed long ago) broke. It didn't hurt at all, so I never did anything about it until I was chewing some gum, and bit down on that tooth (which I had done frequently) and this excruciating pain ran through me that almost made me black out. I dealt with the pain for about two months, and then my grandmother gave me the money to have my teeth fixed. This particular tooth required a root canal.

The day the dentist went in to do it, he also drilled and capped the tooth directly above it. (I don't know if that's relevant, but I thought I'd add it, just in case.) The dentist drilled the tooth to be root canalled, put some temporary (white) filling stuff in it, and left it for about two weeks. During that two weeks, he also drilled and capped the back two molars on the upper left side. That particular experience left me feeling as though Mike Tyson punched me... a feeling that has faded, but returns every so often. (Those two particular teeth have EXTREME sensitivity to anything that is hotter or cooler than body temperature. I should probably also mention that all the caps are stainless steel.)

So, two weeks later, the dentist goes back to the root canalled tooth, packs it, and puts more temporary filling stuff in it, and leaves it for another two weeks. On January 5, I went back in to the dentist to get this root canal finished up. He drills some more, does some more stuff down in the canals, packs it again, and then caps the tooth with a stainless steel cap. The gums around it bleed alot, but, after the novocaine wears off, I have no pain in that tooth. Great, right?

Well, here it is, almost a month later, and, suddenly, there is a strange pain in the root canalled tooth. It's not excruciating, but it is sharp whenever I bite down. My right cheek throbs a little near the bottom of my jaw. I can't feel hot or cold on the tooth; just the pain from the pressure, and tonight was the first time that it did it. Mostly, the pain is right where the original breakage was, near the farthest back tooth. The gums are not swollen, and they are normal colored. The gums aren't sensitive or painful, either. The pain seems to be centered on the part of the tooth that is sticking up out of the gumline and radiating backward a little into the tooth behind it.

I did some reading tonight, and heard all sorts of horror stories about "failed root canals," "additional abcessing after a root canal," "dental fluids in an abcess," and all kinds of other nasty stuff. I read through all the posts on this forum that had to do with root canals, and I couldn't find anything that related to my dilemma. I mean, the thing's supposed to be dead, right? The tooth was never abcessed to begin with, but had the "nerve" exposed.

This dentist really hurts my mouth and doesn't seem particularly concerned about pain management... but he was inexpensive. However, I don't really want to go back to him, and I am looking for another dentist to finish the three fillings I need.

Thanks in advance for any advice. I really hope you'll tell me that this is normal.

Charity

Last edited by sixstringlass; 02-02-2006 at 05:37 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2006, 09:03 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

galinaqt HB User
Re: Pain A Month After Root Canal?

Mine root cannal heeled after 1 week, go back to the doctor to check.

Old 02-03-2006, 12:39 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Tattooall HB User

It could be that the tooth was filled too high after the root canal. I had mine done in June and it was still sore in January. My dentist checked it out and found some high spots which he filed down and the tooth stopped hurting almost immediately! It is really easy to check, they put this paper over the tooth and have you bite on it. Very simple.

Good luck

Old 02-03-2006, 12:41 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Tattooall HB User

Also, the dentist that did my root canal, I don't go to him anymore. He was VERY rude and refused to do two other fillings I needed. My new dentist is so kind and fixed me up right away. It definitely pays to find a dentist that cares about you.

Old 02-03-2006, 06:12 PM   #5
(female)

indy_gal HB User

You should go to an endodontist if you can afford it to have a consult. It could be an abscess, and that can usually be seen if an x-ray is done of your root tip. If you can't afford an endo, insist that the dentist that did the root canal x-ray the root tip to look for any signs of an abscess.

I had a RC done on the same molar as you (second to last on bottom right side). About a year afterwards it abscessed. My symptoms were pain when eating/drinking anything warm, and a dull ache in that tooth (which of course, was supposed to be dead).

Go get it checked out. From what I understand, root canalled teeth shouldn't hurt. I had lots of problems with mine though.

Old 02-03-2006, 07:06 PM   #6
(female)

katzfriend HB User

From what I have been reading lots of people have trouble with their root canals. I just had the same tooth treated with a RCT, second from the back - right side.
What did your dentist do about yours? Was he able to "fix" it? Or did you have to get it pulled?
How frustrating to have more problems after paying a lot of money for a procedure. While looking on the internet for info on root canals I have come across a lot of people that say they would not opt for a root canal ever again because it gave them so many problems

Old 02-03-2006, 09:09 PM   #7
(female)

sixstringlass HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by galinaqt
Mine root cannal heeled after 1 week, go back to the doctor to check.
Thanks for the reply. It actually quit hurting by morning, so that is kind of weird, I think. I probably will go back to a different dentist, but not until August when my insurance starts.

Thanks!
Charity

Old 02-03-2006, 09:12 PM   #8
(female)

sixstringlass HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooGirl
It could be that the tooth was filled too high after the root canal. I had mine done in June and it was still sore in January. My dentist checked it out and found some high spots which he filed down and the tooth stopped hurting almost immediately! It is really easy to check, they put this paper over the tooth and have you bite on it. Very simple.

Good luck
I remember that he did that when he capped the root canalled tooth. The one that is above it (and also capped) does seem to be higher than it ought to be, but the root canalled one seems fine, as far as height goes. The pain strangely went away after a few hours, so that seems strange. I wonder if it wasn't some sort of inflammation along the gums or something?

Thanks for the reply!
Charity

Old 02-03-2006, 09:18 PM   #9
(female)

sixstringlass HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy_gal
You should go to an endodontist if you can afford it to have a consult. It could be an abscess, and that can usually be seen if an x-ray is done of your root tip. If you can't afford an endo, insist that the dentist that did the root canal x-ray the root tip to look for any signs of an abscess.

I had a RC done on the same molar as you (second to last on bottom right side). About a year afterwards it abscessed. My symptoms were pain when eating/drinking anything warm, and a dull ache in that tooth (which of course, was supposed to be dead).

Go get it checked out. From what I understand, root canalled teeth shouldn't hurt. I had lots of problems with mine though.
Thanks for relating your experiences! Now, an endontist is someone who has specialized into doing only root canals, right? Probably expensive... but I will check into it when I get my insurance in August. I remember that, after the root canal, the dentist had his assistant take several more xrays of the tooth, both with this gigantic machine that went around my head and also with those little square things and the "tube" xray machine. They didn't mention anything, and I looked at them. They seemed okay to me, but, well, I am just a web designer. What do I know about teeth? LOL

My Mom's had almost every molar in her mouth root canalled and capped at one time or another. She says that she still feels stuff in all her molars from time to time, but that it "comes and goes."

Thanks for the reply!

Charity

Old 02-04-2006, 03:13 PM   #10
(female)

indy_gal HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixstringlass
Thanks for relating your experiences! Now, an endontist is someone who has specialized into doing only root canals, right? Probably expensive... but I will check into it when I get my insurance in August. I remember that, after the root canal, the dentist had his assistant take several more xrays of the tooth, both with this gigantic machine that went around my head and also with those little square things and the "tube" xray machine. They didn't mention anything, and I looked at them. They seemed okay to me, but, well, I am just a web designer. What do I know about teeth? LOL

My Mom's had almost every molar in her mouth root canalled and capped at one time or another. She says that she still feels stuff in all her molars from time to time, but that it "comes and goes."

Thanks for the reply!

Charity

Yes, an endodontist specialized in root canals. Expensive, but worth it if you keep having problems.

FYI - The x-rays taken at the time the root canal was done wouldn't have shown an abscess if there wasn't one there at the time. Abscesses can form at any time on a root canalled tooth, mine happened one year afterwards. If you keep having pain and lots of pressure, go get it looked at. It could be your bite, but it could be something more.

Also FYI - I avoid chewing anything remotely hard on the side where the RC is, to avoid hurting it any more.

Old 02-04-2006, 06:05 PM   #11
(female)

katzfriend HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy_gal
I assume that question was directed at me. Well, I had to have an apico, which meant they went in through the gum to cut out the abscess and seal off the root tips. Nice, huh? Even after that surgery had healed I was still feeling pain, so the endodontist did go back in and re-do the root canal. He found that it hadn't been properly cleaned out by the dentist that did the RC, which explained my pain and it abscessing. So, after the retreat it has been ok, but I still doesn't feel right. Tolerable, but not right.

I will have serious doubts in the future if I ever need another root canal, and may just pull it rather then risk going through that again. What I will never do is let a dentist do another root canal, that's for sure. They don't have enough training.

It is very frustrating, I agree.

You must have been so frustrated. The apico surgery sounds bad and painful! If only I had known how important it is to take care of your teeth when I was a "kid", most troubles could have been prevented
Of course it's too late now and I must deal with the fallout!
I think it is really hard to find a great dentist. For the past few months I have asked people and no one seems to be really happy with theirs.
Good luck with your tooth!

Closed Thread