It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2006, 02:40 PM   #1
(female)

rose0295 HB User
need a lot of work

I recently found out that I need a deep cleaning, my back top left tooth extracted, my back top right crown replaced and the one in front of that needs a root canal.

The dentist I currently see charges $1100 JUST for a crown alone. I only have a $1k limit annually through my insurance so I need to find somewhere cheaper or my insurance will only pay for a partial crown and I'll pay $3k out of pocket for everything else (this is the quote they gave me).
My main question is....

Is dental work a "you get what you pay for" type of issue?

The crwon I need replaced was done approximately 5 years ago. She said it needs to be replaced due to some decaying? I think she said that.
I don't think I was charged $1100 for it, it had to have been cheaper. I didn't pay that much out of pocket.

I was also told that since the crown replacement and the root canal are next to each other I need to get them both done at once? Something about my biting alignment?

I'm nervous about it all and I'm not sure what to do. I do not want to pay $3k to fix my teeth.
I think the extraction and the replaced crown can wait because they do not bother me. I've been told the deep cleaning is a must? And the tooth that needs a root canal is hurting me.

Any advice would be appreciated. I have an upcoming appoitment for a 2nd opinion on the root canal, just because at first she said she could just fill it, then she changed her mind.

Also, is there anywhere to find the standard pricing of dental procedures?

Thanks so much!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2006, 03:22 PM   #2
(female)

SportHorse HB User
Re: need a lot of work

I paid $1000 just for a crown (in CA). That doesnt sound too unreasonable for a quaility dentist. Mine is 100% porcelin, and it was made the same day. It was worth it to not suffer through a temp. My deep cleaning is costing 225 per quadrant (so basically - 1000). Crown costs will depend somewhat on the tooth they are replacing. My insurance only covers $1000 per year too - but that doesnt mean they will put 1000 towards the 7000 worth of work Im getting. The insurance company I have only covers about $50 for a crown! Dental insurance doesnt seem worthwhile from what Ive looked at. The only reason I have it at all is that its a part of my health insurance plan.

I'd definitely go for that 2nd opinion - that never hurts to do! If you find that you need to have the work done, ask about CareCredit or the CapitalOne card. I used CareCredit for my LASIK surgery, and the CapitalOne card for my dental. Both provide funds at decent interest rates for plans over a year. I ended up going for the 1-year no interest plan on both. At least that way, Im only paying out a small amount of money each month but still got the work I needed. Hope that helps.

Last edited by SportHorse; 02-04-2006 at 05:17 PM.

Old 02-08-2006, 01:18 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

wintersun HB User

I would get the deep cleaning and the root canal, and forget the rest for now..

Old 04-15-2006, 07:36 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

tcracing59 HB User

what are people suppose to do if they have little income and no insurance but they need dental work. I spose the government wants their teeth to rot out and then the person die from an infection. When are the american people gona wake up and realize that government does not care about the poor and middle class. Unless you are in the same class with them they could care less. But yet someone from another country could come here and get all the medical work they need and not have to pay a dime.

Old 04-15-2006, 10:41 PM   #5

Barrie HB User

i paid $180 dollars but im in the u.k. were its cheaper... but u cant have it all fuel is $10 dollars per gallon here..mmmmmm

barrie

Closed Thread