It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2006, 06:36 PM   #1
(female)

CK40CK HB User
what are the symptoms of a FRACTURED tooth?

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced a "fractured tooth" I went to the oral surgeon and he thinks my left molar is fractured. I have had alot of pain in my cheek, neck, and jaw. My cheek swells from my earlobe to my jawbone. The oral surgeon thinks I should have it pulled. I am going to another O.S. Also lately my gums are swelling and puffy around this tooth I just wonder if this one particular tooth is causing all of these problems. Please help. I really need some insight here. Thank YOU P>S> I just want to get a second opinion that is whay I am going to another oral surgeon!!

Old 02-06-2006, 07:38 PM   #2
(female)

SportHorse HB User
Re: what are the symptoms of a FRACTURED tooth?

I have a molar that has been fractured for at least 5 years. At first it was VERY painful. It has an amalgam filling (which is why it fractured). I am going to finally have it fixed in a few days - fortunately it is only having the filling removed and will have a crown put on. It hurt off an on over the years. When it was first noticed, the dentist I went to relieved it so it wouldnt have full contact when I bit down. I wasnt about to have work done on it, so that at least bought me some pain relief. It was always sensitive to cold, also. I never had swelling around the gums. That would make me think yours could be more seriously fractured, or there is some infection going on. A 2nd opinion is always a good idea.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2006, 02:52 PM   #3
(female)

CK40CK HB User

Right my first trip to the oral surgeon he stated fractured teeth are hard to spot on an x-ray. So I am sure the second will say the same thing. But as I stated the pain in my jaw and cheek and even going into my neck is nothing I have ever experienced before. I think the tooth will need to come out. I just can't wait to get the second opinion get the procedure done and live pain free for good. I have had pain for the last 3-4 months and I forget what having a pain free mouth is like. Wish me luck!

Last edited by CK40CK; 02-07-2006 at 02:53 PM.

Old 02-12-2006, 09:15 AM   #4
(female)

SportHorse HB User

Well I got that fractured molar taken care of. I didnt think it was bothering me when I went in, but now that it has been taken care of - it does feel better than before so I guess I had just gotten used to the discomfort. At times it did really flare up and it hurt enough that I just wouldnt eat. I had pain similar to what you describe when I had TMJ issues. For whatever reason, the pain just went away. I used to have a guard I wore at night (dentist made it specifically for TMJ problems). Over time, I just stopped wearing it and I dont seem to have those issues anymore. I am always TMJ sore after dental work though - having your mouth open like that for extended periods of time definitly agrivates it. Having your bite off can certainly cause pain like you describe also. Be sure they check that your bite isnt off - if you have had any work done (crowns, fillings, etc) that can change things, and even a minor thing can cause you a lot of pain like you describe. I hope your 2nd opinion goes well. Do let us know what the doc has to say about it.

Old 02-12-2006, 12:18 PM   #5
(female)

CK40CK HB User

Sport just wondering did you have to have it pulled? I am hoping I don't have to have mine pulled. And like you say I have had root canal and crown work done over the past 3 years I really think my bite is terribley off. I go tomorrow wish me luck. Thanks

Old 02-12-2006, 12:27 PM   #6
(female)

SportHorse HB User

Hi CK, fortunately I was able to keep it. Since mine had a filling (a REALLY big amalgam one), the tooth ended up getting a partial crown. The fracture was on the inner corner (biting surface), so the roots were okay - at least thats what Im guessing since there wasnt a need for a root canal or anything like that. The crown is a CEREC (all porecelin and milled at the office so you get it the same day). The outer part is natural tooth and the inside and biting surface has the partial crown. You cant even tell it has been worked on - my dentist did an awesome job on it and no pain The bite problem can be awful. I dealt with that for 5 years. Its amazing what one dentist can miss, and another can fix in seconds. Good luck tomorrow. I hope you'll get good news and that whatever the problem is, that it can be a simple solution to fix it.

Closed Thread