It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2006, 06:32 AM   #1
(male)

smiley:) HB User
Unhappy Fear of the dentist

Ok, heres my story. About 2/3 years ago i got a toothache in my bottom left molar. To cut a long story short i went to the dentist to get it sorted and was told a had an abcese and needed a route canal. This was grand as ive never really had a problem with the dentist. I went for the route canal and got the injections to freeze my mouth. My mouth was well frozen as i couldnt feel a thing whatsoever. The dentist began her work and all was goin well untill i felt the worst pain i have very felt and nearly jumped out of the chair.

The dentist told me my nerve was inflamed and she would try and avoid it. No sooner had she said this but i felt this pain again. The dentist told me that i would have to come back another day when the nerve wasnt so inflamed. Needless to say i left that day and didnt go back untill the pain was unbareable and then by that stage i needed the tooth taken out.

Ever since that day i have grown a fear of the dentist and everything about dentists. Probably because when i had put my trust in the dentist and thought that since my mouth was frozen i would feel no pain.

A while back there i slightly cracked a tooth at the back/top of my mouth. For the past 2 weeks now im getting that very sharp pain i felt in the dentists. It comes and goes in intense sharp bursts and come on totally random. I registered with a new dentist last week but never made the appointment.

I honestly cant think of anything worse than goin to the dentist now. Im a 24 year old male and have had 4 tattoos and i would far rather have a tattoo session of 5 hours than go to the dentist for 20 minutes!

The following user gives a hug of support to smiley:):
AuntieRosie (07-27-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-09-2006, 07:39 AM   #2
(female)

katzfriend HB User
Re: Fear of the dentist

HI there,
I totally understand you! I had the same experience when I was in my late teens. I went to the dentist just for fillings and even though they gave me shots to numb the tooth, I felt a really intense pain and never knew when it would come. So after that I avoided the dentist and now I am paying for it with a ton of things that need fixing. Just this week I went to the dentist for a filling and a build up on a tooth that had been root canaled. Even after 3 shots, which numbed my whole right jaw, I could still feel an awful pain randomly. It was awful and I will have to force myself to go back, I sure don't want to.
I think I might consider sedation dentistry in the future. I have read some posts on this board from people that have had it done and it sounds like the way to go?!
Good luck to you

The following user gives a hug of support to katzfriend:
AuntieRosie (07-27-2011)
Old 02-10-2006, 01:41 PM   #3
(female)

HeyKD HB User

Katzen, thats me too. It seemed no matter how many shots they gave me, I could still feel the pain and the drilling.

When I was a kid, I use to try to mentally go to a far away safe place in my head to get away from what they were doing. It was awful!

Well, ok I still do that

Last edited by HeyKD; 02-10-2006 at 01:43 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to HeyKD:
AuntieRosie (07-27-2011)
Old 02-10-2006, 05:50 PM   #4
(female)

katzfriend HB User

HI KD,
to me that is the worst part about the dentist. Especially when I lay there and think I'll be ok and all of a sudden I get this awful pain. That's how my whole dentist phobia started. I wonder how it can be that my whole half of my mouth is numb, but I still feel that pain? I can't believe they haven't come up with something to numb someone for sure, 100%.

The following user gives a hug of support to katzfriend:
AuntieRosie (07-27-2011)
Old 02-12-2006, 07:39 PM   #5
(female)

Meg82 HB User

Hello, welcome, I completely understand your fears. Look for the posting in this forum titled "Do you have EXTREME dental phobia?" - I wrote that awhile back and maybe it can help you. If nothing else, just know that there are lots of us out there that share your fear. My two pieces of advice to you:
1) Go to a dentist right away, your tooth will rapidly get worse and worse and worse. But...
2) Shop around for a SEDATION DENTIST, one that practces sedation dentistry either through IV or oral. It is God's gift to us phobics! Trust me...

Good luck,
Meg

The following user gives a hug of support to Meg82:
AuntieRosie (07-27-2011)
Closed Thread