It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2006, 08:04 AM   #1

jlh2605 HB User
Unhappy Does getting fillings hurt??

Hmm, went to the dentist today, turns out all the black lines and dots in my back teeth I posted about are NOT all cavities, something to do with staining in the fissures I think he said.......I dunno, I wasn't paying much attention, I was too busy totally freaking out.

But anyway, turns out I do have some cavities, I knew I had one cos I could stick a toothpick in a hole in the tooth and it hurt, but turns out I have 5 altogether and apparently some are pretty bad - eek!!! I've never had any cavities before, although it has been a long time since I last saw the dentist so I guess it serves me right.......They're all in different places as well, which apparently means I need lots of separate apointments, they can't fix them all at once???

Anyway, I've got appointments scheduled over the next few weeks to get them all filled, first one is in two weeks time to get the worst one done. So I'm totally freaking out because I've never had to have a fillling before. What actually happens? Do they ALWAYS have to do injections for fillings? Does it hurt??? I'm so scared!!! Please help!

Old 02-28-2006, 08:29 AM   #2
(female)

katzfriend HB User
Re: Does getting fillings hurt??

Oh, I feel for you! If they are small cavities and your dentist has laser equipment, he can probably fill some of them without injections. But lots of dentists don't use laser yet and if he drills you want to get the shots to numb you up. They apply something to the area where they give the injections and you feel a pinch, but not too bad. Not nearly as bad as the pain would be from the drilling! It shouldn't be bad at all . If you are very anxious, such as I am, it's a good idea to get nitrous oxide, it helps to relax you. Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2006, 09:59 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

arlmon18 HB User

I've been having gum surgery since Sept./05 - had the last one today. I know it sounds "crazy", but I've had so many needles for freezing, I'm almost used to them by now. It does depend on how deep the cavities are. My dentist is very gentle, so that makes it easier. It's way better to be frozen, than want to jump off the chair in pain!!

Old 02-28-2006, 01:23 PM   #4
(female)

alexbaby16 HB User

Generally, any fillings that are on the same side of the mouth...for example..if you have 3 fillings on the same side, you will be able to get them all filled at once. They just don't like to numb the entire mouth at once. I would imagine that the whole process would be probably about 20-30 minutes per filling once you are numb. Relax, it is a simple process and nothing to be worried about. You will be fine

Old 03-02-2006, 12:44 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

wintersun HB User

The only thing that might bother you is you can FEEL the pressure of the drill bearing down (and hear it) but you won't feel pain, but you know what's happening, so that's weird..And then they pack the filling in there, more pressure, and smooth/sand it down. In between there is the lovely suction hose siphoning your saliva because it needs to be dry as possible to set. Rinse, and you're all done. The worst part will be the shots, which is not that bad-then, nothing!

Old 03-03-2006, 10:56 AM   #6
(female)

karenmackenzie HB User

It depends on where you go IMHO. I am a lifetime dental patient, spent many many hours in the chair having fillings, root canals, apicoectomies and the latest tooth pulled and a dental implant so I have plenty of experience!

I found the most perfect dentist about six years ago and will never go anywhere else. Luckily he is about 15 years younger than I! Anyway, find a dentist who is highly recommended for PAINLESS dentistry. Don't go for cheap - if you really fear dental treatment as I did.

I used to tremble and shake and take tranquilizers before I went and still shook etc. until I was out of the chair. Not anymore! I have a dentist who I can truthfully say in the six years I have been going several times a year, or more, he has NEVER EVER hurt me, shots, drills, root canals, anything. He is expensive, but very very good. People come to him from out of state.

I never even worry one bit about the dentist anymore. Find someone like him.

Best wishes,
Karen

Old 03-11-2009, 05:13 AM   #7
(male)

cannoli31 HB User

By any chance is your dentist in northern california? I would like to go to that dentist!
thanks.

Closed Thread