It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2006, 06:05 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Tattooall HB User
Wisdom teeth consultation

So I went to meet the oral surgeon today. He is really nice, I am really confused about what to do tough. He asked me if they have been giving me any problems so I told him what has been going on (headache, neck ache, sore & stiff jaw, ear ache, etc) and he asked me if I have been checked for TMJ. I said no but I thought about it. So he did a quick exam of the joints and there was discomfort when he checked them. I don't have any pain around the gum area where my wisdom teeth are He said getting my wisdom teeth out wont fix anything if the pain is TMJ related

Xrays. My bottom wisdom teeth are partly impacted in bone and very close to the main nerve that runs along the jaw so there is a chance (1%) that removing the teeth could injure the nerve. My top wisdom teeth are bone impacted and he said they have very bulky roots that are very close to my sinuses and there is a chance that removing the teeth could injure my sinuses so I wouldn't be able to blow my nose for 3 weeks. it will take 1 hour and 30 minutes to get the teeth out! I would be completely sedated too. He doesn't do the extraction in a regular looking dental office either. He has those rooms but the extraction room is just like hospital operating room. Now that FREAKED ME OUT.

So he suggested that I get my dentist to make me a splint to wear at night for the grinding and to consider what I want to do about the wisdom teeth. He said it would be a longer recovery than most so I dont know if I should do it soon and risk still being in a recovery stage in July for my wedding (I cant get the teeth out until April at the earliest) or waiting and risk something happening and needing them out a lot closer to the date and totally ruining the wedding or there is a chance as well that nothing could happen for months (or years) but you know me, I love to expect the worst! *sigh* I will definitely be seeing my dentist about the TMJ problem. I'm not scared of that. What to do about the wisdoms?

Has anyone here had their wisdoms taken out with general anaesthesia? Will they have to put a breathing tube down my throat?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2006, 07:01 PM   #2
(female)

SportHorse HB User
Re: Wisdom teeth consultation

I was completely out for my wisoms being removed. The wort part was getting the IV, because I have a real problem with that. I had 2 impacted wisdom teeth, but all 4 were removed. It was a piece of cake. I think that if you are worried about healing in enough time for the wedding, then you should wait till after. If they are not the source of your pain, then it might be better to wait so you can enjoy yourself. Have you asked the oral surgon about how critical it is that those teeth come out now instead of after your wedding?

Old 02-28-2006, 09:21 PM   #3
(female)

xXxTheJenxXx HB User

[QUOTE=TattooGirl]So I went to meet the oral surgeon today. He is really nice, I am really confused about what to do tough. He asked me if they have been giving me any problems so I told him what has been going on (headache, neck ache, sore & stiff jaw, ear ache, etc) and he asked me if I have been checked for TMJ. I said no but I thought about it. So he did a quick exam of the joints and there was discomfort when he checked them. I don't have any pain around the gum area where my wisdom teeth are He said getting my wisdom teeth out wont fix anything if the pain is TMJ related

I would wait to get the wisdom teeth out until you know for sure that is what is causing the pain and go see your dentist about the TMJ. Could very well be that you get this bite guard and your pain will go away. You did say you grind your teeth, so that is more than likely what is causing the headache, neck ache, sore jaw and ear ache. I know since I have been grinding my teeth my jaws and ears hurt, but I also had this type of pain when my wisdom started coming in. Maybe get a second and third opinion to help make the decision. Hope this makes sense to you, kind of loopy feeling from taking Vicodin for my root canal today.

Last edited by xXxTheJenxXx; 02-28-2006 at 10:44 PM.

Old 02-28-2006, 10:02 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User

The sedation they use for wisdom teeth surgery isn't deep enough to need a breathing tube. Just enough that you don't remember or care about what's going on.

Wisdom teeth can cause ear pain. The problem is that the teeth can cause pain similar to TMJ pain, so it can be difficult to tell what is what. An absence of pain in the gums doesn't mean that you aren't having wisdom teeth pain. I went to the doctor several times because I thought I had ear infections only to be told that my ear looked fine. Finally, she asked if I still had my wisdom teeth. No more problems with unexplained ear pain since getting those impacted teeth out. I never did have gum pain until about a month before I got them out one started erupting, which hurt.

I also grind my teeth, which still causes problems on occasion. I got treated for TMJ once many years ago. I guess it helped the jaw out, but it is my personal (and completely unconfirmed opinion) that it ruined my teeth. I'd never had any cavities before in my life. About a year or two after wearing that retainer thing over my bottom teeth, I ended up with six cavities in my bottom teeth. Since then, I've lost track of fillings, and I've had a root canal.

So my personal opinion would be to just get the stupid teeth out and be done with them... But then again, I might be biased. :-)

Old 03-01-2006, 01:52 AM   #5
(female)

Bevd HB User

I'd already had both of my top wisdom teeth out in the dentists chair with no sedation ( those were the days!! ) and then I needed the bottom ones out and they were impacted. I had them done under general aneasthetic along with some other teeth and it was quite honestly no problem at all. I hardly had any swelling and no visible bruising and it was only on the second day after the surgery that I felt any pain at all and even that pain only required a normal, mild painkiller - and I only took one single dose.

It was truly no problem at all

Old 04-09-2006, 10:06 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Tattooall HB User

Just to update. My dentist and surgeon both feel that my pain is related to TMJ. The surgeon also thinks that taking the teeth out with my wedding so close is not a good idea.
I am currently having treatment for my TMJ and they are both hopeful and very positive that it will help me a lot with the pain. The surgeon was very unsure about my wisdom teeth after doing an exam on my jaw and muscles in that area. They are very swollen and sore to touch.

Thanks for the replies.
Also, wisdom teeth and TMJ pain are two totally different worlds of pain. After seeking a lot of treatment and talking with others with TMJ you find that out very fast.

Closed Thread