It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2006, 02:29 PM   #1
(female)

perkinssl HB User
Gum swollen after temporary crown fitting

I just got back from the dentist after getting a temporary crown fitted and put on after a root canal. After the numbness wore off, I noticed that my gum is swollen. Is this normal or should I be worried? It is hurting a little bit but I just took a pain reliever.

Old 03-02-2006, 03:33 PM   #2
(female)

xXxTheJenxXx HB User
Re: Gum swollen after temporary crown fitting

Quote:
Originally Posted by perkinssl
I just got back from the dentist after getting a temporary crown fitted and put on after a root canal. After the numbness wore off, I noticed that my gum is swollen. Is this normal or should I be worried? It is hurting a little bit but I just took a pain reliever.
Yeah that is all normal : ) I just had 2 root canals in the last week and noticed some gum swelling and pain. The tooth and surrounding tissue just underwent a great deal of trauma and it will calm down in time. I am still having a little bit of discomfort in the one tooth from the temporary and I was told once the permanent crown is placed, the discomfort will go away, I hope. Hoping I don't need retreatment in that tooth.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2006, 06:34 PM   #3
(female)

perkinssl HB User

okay, thanks! Root Canals Suck!

Old 03-03-2006, 09:18 AM   #4
(female)

xXxTheJenxXx HB User

Quote:
okay, thanks! Root Canals Suck!
LMAO!!! You got that right!!!

Old 03-03-2006, 09:33 AM   #5
(male)

steve6464 HB User

Quote:
When a crown is prepared the dentist drills on the tooth below the gum level which can cause some irritation. Do be aware that if the swelling persists, you might want to have your dentist check to make sure that the temporary crown is not irritating the gum.

Old 03-03-2006, 02:47 PM   #6
(female)

perkinssl HB User

How long do you think I should wait to contact the dentist because it has been one full day and my gum is still a little swollen and my gum hurts.

Old 03-03-2006, 02:53 PM   #7
(female)

xXxTheJenxXx HB User

Quote:
How long do you think I should wait to contact the dentist because it has been one full day and my gum is still a little swollen and my gum hurts.
Well, my experience with this has been, it takes a few days to a week for the gums to calm down. It has only been one full day, I think your safe, but if the swelling or pain gets worse then call your dentist.

Closed Thread