It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2006, 10:48 AM   #1
(female)

karenmackenzie HB User
New dental implant and "flipper" tooth

Hi all,
I had a failed root canal tooth pulled (tooth #8, the big front top tooth) on Wednesday and an implant put in place. Now I have a big gaping hole where the tooth was, which I now have a plastic "flipper" to wear until the implant is complete.

Has anyone else worn a flipper tooth for 3 months? I am distraught at the thought because it feels so awful in my mouth. It feels like I have a big blob of hard gum on the roof of my mouth and affects my speaking, etc. I feel that I may gag while wearing it!

I am only to wear it when I leave my house since I look like a jack-o-lantern without it. I am beginning to wish I never had this $5,000 implant work . I sure hope it will seem worth it when I have the new crown in place.

Old 03-03-2006, 01:05 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

anitak1982 HB User
Re: New dental implant and "flipper" tooth

Hang in there. It's so worth it. It is just an inconvenience for such a short while for a lifetime of investment. Do not put pressure with eating on the implant. You may have to remove it completely for eating.

Congratulations.

Anita

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-03-2006, 02:29 PM   #3
(male)

Toofless HB User

I had one on for two and a half years! My first implant failed. From pulling to finalé this took almost a full year. They let the infection drain for 3 months before putting in the first implant. So from Spring of 2003 to January 2004, I had a flipper. Then in January 2004 the implant failed and so they waited until June to attempt the second implant in order to allow the bone to build up some in my jaw. I swear, they used a different-sized screw the 2nd time (much smaller), but he assured me, "Oh no, same size". I think he just did not want to admit he made an error in judgement or something. This 2nd implant rested a full 6 months before they put the post and temporary plastic crown on. They did not bother reopening and placing a sealing cap the second time because it's apparently more risky. I still have the plastic tooth on now, March 2006 and am going to go back soon to finally get my permanent porcelain crown.

You get used to it. Just watch out between those back teeth. The flipper tooth has a tendency to push food between the teeth really well. If you do not floss regularly, you WILL get tooth rot thanks to your flipper tooth!

Last edited by Toofless; 03-03-2006 at 02:32 PM.

Old 03-04-2006, 07:15 PM   #4
(female)

17judy HB User

Gee I wore a flipper for quite a while..no problems except when i forgot to put them in and was almost at the bus stop and had to run home to get it.

Old 03-05-2006, 10:33 AM   #5
(female)

cdaus HB User

I want one of them (for when my loose tooth eventually falls off. It's been loose for a year now and it won't get worse or better). And it's not painful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17judy
Gee I wore a flipper for quite a while..no problems except when i forgot to put them in and was almost at the bus stop and had to run home to get it.

Old 03-07-2006, 10:13 PM   #6
(female)

pynkett HB User

I've had a flipper for about four months now. Mine has four teeth on it and I am waiting for my permanent partials. I only wear it when I am out of the house and I can't eat with it in. I hate having to turn down places to go because I have to take it out to eat. I don't really have to much of a problem with it except that I do tend to talk somewhat differently with it in but not noticeable by people who don't know me.

Old 09-18-2009, 09:05 PM   #7
(female)

spandau HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pynkett View Post
I've had a flipper for about four months now. Mine has four teeth on it and I am waiting for my permanent partials. I only wear it when I am out of the house and I can't eat with it in. I hate having to turn down places to go because I have to take it out to eat. I don't really have to much of a problem with it except that I do tend to talk somewhat differently with it in but not noticeable by people who don't know me.
why can't you leave it in when you eat? I also have one upper with 4 teeth on it. I only take it out at night. Does it hurt whe you eat with it in? Mine is getting worn and I'm worried it will break before I get the bridge put in in about 10 days. How is yours doing? My dentist said the probelm is taking it in and out that weakens it.

Closed Thread