It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2006, 06:17 AM   #1
(female)

katzfriend HB User
Re: how long should a new filling bother me?

Good Morning
I can understand you being freaked out about your husbands gums! I hope it isn't as bad as it sounds. I am sure you have read that people can pass along the bacteria that causes gum disease through kissing. So you might have "caught" it from him, or the other way around. If one partner has gum disease it raises the chances of the other person having it, but it doesn't mean that the other person will have it for sure. How are your parents teeth? My dad died when he was only 49, but his teeth were pretty good. Only had one tooth missing and no problems with other teeth. My mom on the other hand has lots of problems with periodontal disease and her teeth. I hope my teeth won't be as bad as hers. She is always going to the dentist. Another friend I have that is in her 50's, she just had to have her bottom 4 front teeth pulled and more to go. She has been going to the dentist regularly, too. But her mom had bad teeth. So it seems to have a lot to do with your genes, and of course your dental hygiene and diet.
I think eating so many high sugar, processed foods must be a big culprit. And I sure did my share of eating sugary foods when I was a kid/teenager, that's why I got all those big fillings years ago.
I'm scared to think of all my husband will need done, too. I want him to start taking his teeth more seriously and less for granted!
I hope your tooth is feeling good today
Enjoy your day

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-01-2006, 06:58 PM   #2
(female)

SportHorse HB User

Both my parents have pretty bad teeth. I think I was doomed from the beginning - between inheriting bad teeth, I also have done my fair share of getting them to this point. The stuff i eat and drink, not going for 4 years... it all certainly played a part. At least now I guess I can sort of start over - I wont let it get so bad again without doing everything I can to prevent it.
So I got the therabreath mouthwash today (their perio one). I just used it, and I have to say - it tastes AWFUL. Kinda soapy tasting. Hopefully it is actually doing some good, because if i make myself use it (and I will) it had better have some results. Ugh. I am still constantly trying to spit out the taste. The Listerine was bad, but more in a medicinal tasting way. I got used to that, so hopefully I can get used to this. Bleh!
I hope you had a good day today

Old 03-02-2006, 05:29 AM   #3
(female)

katzfriend HB User

Good Morning
That's too bad your new mouthwash tastes so bad! But hopefully you will notice a difference in your gums?
My tooth has been a little better the past few days, but I won't say it too loud. Seems like everytime I think that, it gets worse again. It still doesn't feel "right" - but better.
Were you able to get that appointment for your husband?
How is your tooth?
Yesterday I was BAD and ate something sugary, but I didn't even enjoy it, because I kept thinking how bad this is for my teeth, LOL, so I'll stay away from it
Have a good day!!!!!

Old 03-02-2006, 08:29 PM   #4
(female)

SportHorse HB User

So I finally got an appt for my hubby to get his teeth looked at. Its not till the 14th though That was the soonest he could get in there between our schedule and theirs. He is going to see the other dentist this time, because the one who did my teeth didnt have a spot yet. Kinda funny, because he saw me initially too, and I ended up with the other dentist (his brother) because of timing problems too. So we'll see what needs to be done and go from there I guess.
My teeth seem okay today. I have been using a whitening accelerator (supersmile) and they are becoming a little sensitive. I read on the therabreath site that the sensitivity to whitening products is because of glycerine, which the accelerator has, but not the regular toothpaste. Funny, because that one article by Gerard Judd says glycerine is very bad for your teeth too. I had been using it, and then re-brushing my teeth without the accelerator (hopefully getting the glycerine off), but I dont think it is enough. I just hate that my front crown is lighter than the rest of my teeth. Drives me insane!!
It is tough now eating/drinking things you know are bad, isnt it? Its hard to enjoy something when you think about the effects it is having! Im still bad - I just cant stop. Now I try to drink water after anything bad, so I can sort of rinse my teeth. I guess I'll see what good/bad I am doing to my teeth when I go back on the 9th.
Hope you had a good day and your teeth are doing good too!

Old 03-03-2006, 06:03 AM   #5
(female)

katzfriend HB User

Good Morning!
So your husband is going in the day after I go to the new dentist...not too much longer until then. I know I will get really nervous going to the new dentist, because who knows what he will say? But I am so sick of my teeth not feeling well, mostly that one tooth. But yesterday I felt some pain when I bite down on another tooth she filled. I am getting really scared.
Most toothpaste contains glycerin, so I am surprised that that is what can make you teeth sensitive. I thought it was the "bleaching agent" in the whitening toothpastes/products that made your teeth sensitive?
I too drink water if I have anything "bad". But now I carry a little toothbrush and toothpaste with me. So after I had the "bad sweet", I went to the bathroom in the Starbucks and brushed my teeth, LOL
I don't drink coffee, but I do drink tea and I know that stains teeth, also. I wonder if green tea stains too?
I am glad your teeth are ok? Maybe it your filling just needed some time to calm down? Mine is not as bad as it was, but just still doesn't feel normal either, so I don't know - I guess I feel like I will need a root canal in it?
But will see what the dentist says.
Have a good day

Old 03-04-2006, 06:35 AM   #6
(female)

SportHorse HB User

Good morning I hope that the pain you are feeling isnt a sign of any problems. Mine were good yesterday, but I didnt eat anything remotely hard either. Thats about the only thing now that doesnt feel quite right. Its not like major pain, I just can feel it and just that kinda bothers me. I guess we'll both find out soon! 5 more days to go till my appt. I do need to call them to make sure my dentist comes to check my teeth. My mom said that when she goes in for her cleanings, they dont always come take a look after the hygenist is done.
I thought that was odd about the glycerine too. The package on the accelerator says that it is the hydrogen peroxide in it that can cause sensitivity, but I dont think that is right. I used ti use mentadent, and that has hydrogen peroxide in it too, and that never bothered me. The site I read that on said that glycerine causes sensitivity because it draws moisture out of the tooth. Ack. But I already dont like the thought of glycerine in anything because of that paper saying that the teeth cant properly re-enamalize with glycerine on your teeth.
I drink tea every morning (I dont like coffee at all) which is tough because I know it stains. But I dont think I can stand to give it up! It would be interesting to find out if green tea has the same effect. The whitening stuff I have calls for me to use it twice a day, but I am only using it at night when I know I wont have anything else to eat or drink. I just have thoughts of using it, stripping my teeth and then staining them deeper.
Have a good day

Old 03-04-2006, 04:55 PM   #7
(female)

katzfriend HB User

Hi
hope you had a nice Saturday! I had to work, but I didn't mind too much, figured I'll be glad for every $ I make, once I see the dentist, LOL.
What I am most worried about is that he will need to pull the front tooth. I just don't know what I would do with a missing tooth right in the front. I know I would "survive", but it would look awful until I could get an implant, if I were a candidate for that? I read that if you have perio disease, often they don't want to do implants?
Yikes, and a bridge is far from perfect either.
How often does your mom go to get her teeth cleaned? I guess if you go every 3 months, they probably don't check your teeth each time? I think they do that twice a year, if there are no problems. I'll certainly be thinking of you on that day. Are you nervous? Or are you pretty calm about it?
I wonder if green tea will stain our teeth green????
Have a great evening

Old 03-04-2006, 07:55 PM   #8
(female)

SportHorse HB User

About being glad for every $ you make - I agree! My husband and I have been working a lot more than usual (starting to really wear out), but once he goes in, I know we will be glad for the extra $ we have from the longer hours. It is frustrating to think about though... we work so many hours for something that takes the dentist a few minutes. It kills me to think in those terms, but I have a bad habit of that. My hour = 30 seconds for him, basically!
I hope your dentist wont have to pull the front tooth. I can see how worrisome that would be. Not so bad when its a back one. I wonder how long it takes for the front till an implant is finished, on average. I hadn't really read anything on implants w/perio disease, but I can tell you that my mom's perio was pretty bad. She is getting two implants, one is already in but hasnt gotten the tooth part yet (they are both in the back). Bridges make me a little nervous after reading so many posts on the surrounding teeth ending up with issues. Its just so hard to decide what to do! Hopefully for both of us we wont have to go that route anyway though!
My mom goes every 3-4 months to get her teeth cleaned. It seems like she is in there on a weekly basis though. She decided to get one thing done at a time, and had a lot of work to be done. I just couldn't do that with how packed our schedule is. The dentist isnt open on the weekends, which is our only time off. We worked both weekend days last week, and today so tomorrow will be a major relief for some time off.
Thanks for thinking about me on dental day I will certainly be thinking about you on the 13th too! I am nervous, but excited at the same time. I am nervous because I don't really know the hygenist (although I think she worked on my teeth before when I used to go to a perio that was kind of a friend). I think that is a real issue for me now - having trust in the person working on me. And I guess, I kind of have an attachment (for lack of a better word) to my new dentist since he helped me out so much. No one understands that - they think I am nuts! It was just SUCH a relief when he fixed my bite problem. 5 years is a long time to be in pain from something like that. I thought it would be like that forever!! The first day I went in for work to be done, I was shaking really bad. It took everything I had not to run out of there. At least it all turned out good, I think I am over the worst of the fear, but Im just really anxious about anyone new.
I bought some more green tea tonight at the store, and had to laugh thinking about the green stain comment, LOL

Last edited by SportHorse; 03-04-2006 at 07:58 PM.

Old 03-05-2006, 09:13 AM   #9
(female)

katzfriend HB User

Hi again
I think having trust in your dentist makes all the difference when it comes to the anxiety, that and the no pain factor. If you feel you are in good capable hands, then you don't worry so much. I wasn't too bad at the dentist until she did that filling where she could not get my tooth numb. That was not fun and now, every time I go again, I am worried that it will be like that again. I really do feel ready to go on an anti anxiety pill sometimes! My husband just keeps saying that I "need to quit thinking about it, it's just teeth", ha. If only it were that easy!
Wow, your mom sure has to go often to the dentist. Is she nervous about going, or not? I think it takes quite some time for a dental implant and a few visits, too. Not too bad if it is a tooth that isn't in the front, like you say.....but if it is, a year is a looooooooong time. That was what I was told, that usually they wait half a year to let the area heal. Then you get the implant and that needs to sit for a while, to let it all heal and then you get the crown on the implant. A co-worker I have, who is in his 60's had one done, and he showed it to me. It looks very realistic.
Yes, it sure is frustrating if you think about how long WE have to work for the cost of our treatment I'd rather not think about that too long!
I have read that green tea is good for your dental health, it supposedly is good against cavities. Since it isn't a dark color, hopefully staining is not a problem. I do love blueberries and other berries, and I know that they DO stain the teeth. Yikes. But they are full of anti oxidants, which is good for your health...
How are your gums doing? Have you noticed any difference since you started using the new mouthwash?
Have a great Sunday

Old 03-06-2006, 04:19 PM   #10
(female)

SportHorse HB User

Easier said than done when it comes to not thinking so much about your teeth! I just cant stop. Is your huband going to go after all your stuff is done? I can't wait till mine goes in so he will know fist hand how it feels!
My mom doesnt seem to mind going to the dentist at all. She has a much more flexible schedule, so I guess that is why she is just picking away at it. Since she is continually going, I dont thin that there is any financial benifit - its actually probably a little worse only because you have to pay to get numbed up every time. Forget that!! I hate getting the shots as it is, let alone getting them constantly like she does it. Ack!
That is good to hear green tea is good for dental health! I really like it and I am going to try to stick to that over some of the other teas I drink. Hopefully the stain factor wont be as bad. I think I am finally noticing a difference in the whiteness of my teeth. I hope its not just my imagination. They arent sensitive now, so I think my routine is working. From what I heard, blueberries are also good for the brain. I definitely need that, as I forget things constantly. I am worried about how I'll be when Im older
As for the mouthwash - I only use it once a day (at night actually) because it just tastes SO bad. My hubby used it once and wont use it again. He said it tastes like toilet bowl cleaner, LOL! Its kinda soapy tasting to me. I dont know that my gums are any different yet. They still bleed in two places toward the back. I think it might have to do with the old crowns, because that seems to be where I always bleed from. I guess I'll have to have it looked at on the 9th. I sure hope it wont be serious!
Hope you had a great weekend!

Old 03-06-2006, 07:16 PM   #11
(female)

katzfriend HB User

Good evening
Yes, my husband will go after I am all done, hopefully sooner rather than later Strangely enough today my tooth felt close to normal. But last time I thought that, it was back to not so good the next day, so I won't hold my breath. But overall it seems to be getting a little better, rather than worse.
At least I have started my husband on flossing. He never did because he said it was hard to get the floss between his teeth. But with that new floss even he can get it in there.
That mouthwash sounds pretty bad! I have been using my toothpowder the last few days, after reading all that about the glycerin. I will ask the new dentist what he thinks is the best product to brush your teeth with.
I think it is pretty common to have gum problems around crowns. I know that is where my worst areas, as far as perio disease is concerned, are - around my 4 crowns, due to the car accident and one other crown.
You only have a few more days to go! I hope you get only good news!!!!
Good night

Old 03-07-2006, 02:02 PM   #12
(female)

SportHorse HB User

Im glad to hear you at least had a day where your tooth felt a little better! Hopefully that will last! My husband still wont floss - I think he just doesnt like dealing with the difficulty because his teeth are really crooked. He makes all kinds of excuses! I bet after going to the dentist, he will change his mind

My teeth feel good except for the lower right side is bothering me when I eat anything that isnt soft. At least I will be going back in a few days, so I can have it looked at. It just worries me that something could be going on And I guess the one spot on the upper left gums is still sore to touch too, which is kinda odd, since it has been about a month and a half now.

Once I get my new toothpaste used up, I am going to switch to the tooth powder. I want to avoid anything with SLS, Glycerine, Fluoride and any other stuff that is "bad" for teeth and gums. I figure if there is the slightest controversy about one of those ingredients, than it would be better to be cautious and not use it. I doubt that any of it really "helps" to do much of anything anyway. Only one way to find out I guess - either I get better, stay the same or get worse and then I'll know for sure

Last edited by SportHorse; 03-07-2006 at 02:04 PM.

Old 03-07-2006, 04:59 PM   #13
(female)

katzfriend HB User

Good evening
Maybe the dentist can talk your husband into flossing. My husband was the same, he always insisted that he couldn't floss or that he didn't need to. But I think my perio scared him into it, especially since I did not have any of the classic signs of it. So now we both floss every night. My tooth does feel better still, but knock on wood, I shouldn't say anything, LOL.
Today I got this credit card that has a half a year interest free, figured I can use that to charge all my dental work and then pay it off in the next half year. Planning ahead .
I will stick with the tooth powder too. I don't want to take any chances and I have never read anything bad about any of the ingredients my tooth powder contains! Maybe you can ask your dentist about the coenzyme q10, I will ask mine, since he is an "integrated" dentist and see what he says.

I hope the dentist will tell you that everything is ok with your teeth! I think especially if you have a lot of work done all at once, it takes some time for everything to settle down and feel good/normal again. I am still hoping my tooth won't need a root canal, but I won't be surprised if it does either. On the other hand if it is getting better and not worse that should be a good sign.
Good night!!!!

Old 03-08-2006, 09:49 AM   #14
(female)

SportHorse HB User

Im hoping that he can convince him to start flossing. I just know he has perio disease, and its probably worse than mine. He still doesnt bleed, but Im betting that he would if he flossed.
Thats cool about the credit card deal. Hopefully you wont need it though and everything will be okay with your teeth It is nice though, to be able to pay smaller ammounts over time rather than all up front.
I will definitely be asking lots of questions tomorrow. My teeth are feeling pretty good today, but i just have to make sure that everything that has been going on is normal and that it'll return to normal at some point. I really want to redo my two older crowns, so I'll probably ask about that too.

Old 03-09-2006, 05:00 AM   #15
(female)

katzfriend HB User

Good Morning,
I will keep my fingers crossed for you today and hope all will go well!!!!
I hope you get good news about your gums, too!
So glad to hear your teeth are feeling "normal"! Ha, it's a good thing to have normal feeling teeth
Let me know how it went

Closed Thread