It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2006, 05:10 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hope4All HB UserHope4All HB User
Dentures and gagging

Im going for my impressions today and I'm a little nervous. Does it make you gag when your doing this??? What about your top denture? How bad does it make you gag?? When Im brushing my tongue I tend to get the gag reflex really quick!!!

Old 03-09-2006, 05:31 AM   #2
(female)

blueheartlady HB User
Re: Dentures and gagging

Good morning Hope4All.....I'm not going to lie to you...it's gonna make you gag!!!! Do you have a morning appt.? If you are bad to gag - you might consider not having too much in your stomach....it's not unbearable but it's a natural reflex that's going to happen and you can't control it...But you can do it!!! Just have a positive outlook about it...In a few months I will be facing it again!! The good thing is that it doesn't take long for them to do the impressions...and you want that good impression so the finished plate will fit as tight as possible...I'll be thinking about you....let me know how it goes, okay?

Lots of hugs,
Jackie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2006, 07:37 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Jackie!!

Well I'm done with my impressions, I stayed calm, focused on the dentist and breathed slow and deeply!!! I was able to control myself and didn't gag or freak out, took much control but I did it!!!

Will I have to get this done again???? This was for my 6month dentures after I'm healed I will get my permanent ones.

I wonder when I get them out if I can drive myself home? Im just have local anthestetic.

Thank you for all your support!!!

Old 03-09-2006, 08:28 AM   #4
(female)

blueheartlady HB User

Hello Hope4All Congrats on having that behind you!! That's the key slow deep breaths...Are you getting another set of dentures when you heal? If so, you will probably have to have the impressions made again...because your gums will change quite a bit...you will definitely have some shrinkage and the size of these impressions probably won't be the right fit for the permanents. It's been 2 months for me...and my immediates are sooo loose that I was having to use an adhesive to hold them in...the bottoms are always loose, but the tops did fit tightly until about 1-2 weeks ago...I went in yesterday afternoon and my dentist put in a soft reline that has made them fit nice and tight again without adhesive...I go back in 6 weeks and he'll decide how much longer before we start the process for the perms...I told him yesterday that I was making it okay with these and I wanted to make sure the time was right before we took the next step...I want them to fit as good as possible...

I'm new at this...and I'm definitely learning as I go, but if I can help you in any way...please know that I'm here for you...

Jackie

Old 03-09-2006, 10:50 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks Jackie,

I will be getting permanent teeth at 6months, this will just be my immediates. OMG, I really don't want to have to do that again...lol

I'm not sure how my bottoms will fit, they are leaving 4 teeth in the bottom (first thought only 2), so I don't know if a partial will be more secure than a full denture on the bottom. I will let you know!! I now have to make my appt to get my teeth pulled. I'm a little nervous but I'm sure I will be fine, anxiety is always worse than the actual procedure.

How long did it take for you to be out and about with your teeth??? My husband is going away in a few days and I'm not sure if I should go in before he leaves or wait until he gets back.

Old 03-09-2006, 11:24 AM   #6
(female)

blueheartlady HB User

:d Hey Hope4all....
How Long Is Your Husband Going To Be Away? I Had All Of My Teeth Pulled On A Wednesday, And I Was About To Go Cabin Crazy And My Husband Took Me Out Shopping (really Just Looking) On Saturday...i Wasn't Comfortable With Speaking, But Other Than That Everything Else Was Fine...i Only Took Pain Pills The First Couple Of Days, And After That Ibuprofen Was All That I Needed...the First Day All I Did Was Sleep - I Don't Remember Much About It At All...the Second Day I Had A Follow Up With My Oral Surgeon And The Third Day I Saw My Dentist...and I Managed All Of That With No Problem...my Husband Took A Week Of Vacation To Be Home To Take Care Of Me...he's On 24 Hour Call...we Knew There Wouldn't Be A Problem For Him To Be Off The Day Of My Surgery, And The Day After, But To Be Sure He Decided To Take The Time Off. With Pain Meds We Knew Without A Doubt That I Would Not Be Able To Drive Myself To My Checkups....

It's Wonderful That You Will Be Able To Retain Some Of Your Bottom Teeth...that Will Be Soooo Much Better...at Least There Will Be Something For Stability, Otherwise They Would Just Be "free Floaters", And That Is Definitely The Greatest Obstacle To Get Used To...

Jackie

Old 03-09-2006, 02:41 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jackie,

How long until you were able to eat "normal" food?? What did you eat in the beginning?

You are being so great helping me with all my questions!!

Old 03-09-2006, 06:34 PM   #8
(female)

blueheartlady HB User

Hope4All, I'm glad that I'm able to help...I'm learning as I go, because until I started down this road - I sure didn't know any of this!!! If I can share anything that I learn I'm very glad. I still don't know if I've gotten back to the "normal" food or not. It's an odd feeling when you try and chew, atleast, it was for me. Like I told you earlier, it's been 2 months for me. I still have a little tenderness in spots, and I can tell when I've tried to eat certain foods that the next day I experience a little more discomfort. Since I have finally gotten the ulcerated areas to heal it's easier to try and eat more normal...At first, I was strictly doing liquids...both my dentist and oral surgeon told my husband to go and get me a Frosty from Wendy's...that it would give me nourishment that I would need while I wasn't able to eat (or drink) much of anything. I ate pudding, applesauce, yogurt, soups (tomato, potato, cream of chicken, etc), ice cream, mashed potatoes...and then I worked my way up to oatmeal, mac & cheese, eggs, and anything else that I thought would be soft enough not to require too much chewing. Basically, anything that you can blend, or soften - go for it...do trial and error...that's the only way you're going to know if you can eat it or not...Even now there's things that I still don't feel confident enough to try, but I'll get there...I haven't tried to chew up any kind of meats - like steak or roast, or anything like that...I just feel like that would be too hard for me to be able to chew. When you do start experimenting with different foods, just remember to cut everything into very small bites, and take it slowly...it definitely takes a little longer to eat...but you will do just fine with it...It was hard not being able to eat, and at times it was depressing...but don't get discouraged, because it WILL GET BETTER!

Jackie

Old 03-09-2006, 07:48 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Many, Many thanks Jackie. I'm going to make my appt for March 24th, I will let you know how it goes after all is out and teeth are in!!!

I hope your recovery continues to go smoothly

Old 03-10-2006, 07:49 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Its me again Jackie!!

I just called to make my appt for my teeth extractions and I was told I'm not ready for that step yet!! They told me I have to do a "bite block"!! she said there are many steps before the final one. What else do they have to do??? I wonder why my dentist yesterday didn't inform me of this bite block.

Old 03-10-2006, 12:38 PM   #11
(female)

blueheartlady HB User

Is the impressions all they did at your visit (with that goop!)? When I went in for them to make my impressions the first thing they did was take a piece of what looked alot like play dough and rolled it into a snake-like shape, placed it in my mouth and had me bite down on it...I had to keep it in my mouth until it hardened...that was to get the correct bite, I guess. After doing that, they did the impressions...but it was all done in one visit...

Jackie

Old 03-10-2006, 01:38 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueheartlady
Is the impressions all they did at your visit (with that goop!)? When I went in for them to make my impressions the first thing they did was take a piece of what looked alot like play dough and rolled it into a snake-like shape, placed it in my mouth and had me bite down on it...I had to keep it in my mouth until it hardened...that was to get the correct bite, I guess. After doing that, they did the impressions...but it was all done in one visit...

Jackie
Boy you were lucky!!! No when I went in they filled my mouth with that GOOP, to take my impressions. Then he asked me if I had decided on what type of dentures I wanted. Then I was to make another appt when I was there BUT their computers were down and I was unable to. I was under the impression next visit would be my extractions and immediates. This makes me wonder how many other things they will do to me before they actually get to the extraction part!!! She called what they are going to do a "Bite Block" she said something like biting down on some wax for my bite. I then asked will that be it, she said that will depend on if the lab needs further information.

Now Ive read that they do wax try ins....but being that I will still have teeth Im not sure how well that will work!

Old 03-10-2006, 01:57 PM   #13
(female)

blueheartlady HB User

When getting immediates there isn't a wax try in....you can't do a wax try in while still having your teeth..I never even saw my immediates until the day before my surgery...I saw the color sample my dentist recommended, but that was it. I didn't have any say in anything else...I just trusted him to make the choice that he felt was appropiate for me. He told me from the beginning that the immediates don't always fit just the way you would like but when it came time to do the permanents it would be different...but, I think even my dentist was especially pleased with the outcome of the immediates..he said mine have been one of the best fits he's seen...they've had to adjust the bite a little, but other than that just the normal adjustments - where they've had to shave a little off the length of the sides of the dentures, and last week, because my gum tissue has decreased in size my top plate was gagging me, they removed a little off the top so it wasn't going so far back on the top of my mouth...

My extractions were done by an oral surgeon that my dentist recommended, so we had to get my immediates the day before my surgery. With you, if the same person is doing everything - they'll just have them there waiting for you. As soon as all of the extractions are finished they will put your plates in. You'll go in with teeth, and you'll come out with teeth...I'm very thankful that everything was done in as few visits as they did for me...I was terrified, so that helped.

Old 03-10-2006, 07:24 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

No I was reading different sites after hearing about the bite block with denture procedures, and one place does do wax try ins for immediates, and they say they can never get them exact if you have your front teeth still in. So I guess every place you go to is different.

The place Im getting mine, it has a dental lab on site and they make the dentures there, so there is a oral surgeon on staff in the building and a dentist who works only on dentures.....its called Allcare dental.

My husband thought it was a waste of time that they didn't do both. I'm hoping that they do not draw this out into many many visits.

Old 03-10-2006, 08:28 PM   #15
(female)

blueheartlady HB User

Hope4All it would have definitely made it more convenient for you to have done the bite block at the same time they did the impressions...It's good that everything you will need and all the procedures you will have done are all in the same place...that is definitely a plus...Alot probably has to do with the area of the country that you live in...I live in South Mississippi and we don't have all the choices that are available in larger areas...Any problem that you might encounter will be quickly solved by having everyone in the same location. Once the ball gets rolling - things will go smootly and before you know it - it will all be over...

Jackie

Closed Thread