It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2006, 06:16 PM   #1
(female)

trucky HB User
10 years of inflammation and facial numbness

I REALLY need your help in locating someone competent enough to respond to my requests--In West Texas. here's the story:

1993-1994: Series of dental surgeries at a university dental school clinic:
4 root canals and crowns--left side

One root canal that became a cracked tooth which uncovered
a cyst which was biopsied negative, and the tooth removed.

Blood work by an internist showed low white count and Epstein
Barr way up

Next year, went to ER and white count down again

Started developing ulcers on my left gums and numbness in my
left face--exactly unilateral. Have episodes of swelling in left face
and swelling of left ear which turns bright red

Left lower molars--crowns and root canals--periodically swelling
and too tender to eat

In 2000 an internist suggested zoster o n the left side, but no
treatment

Sinus surgery in 2002 because I couldnt drain on the left side
To this day, my eustacian tube and left ear go through
stabbing pains

C-T of sinuses in 2004--nothing there except another cyst in the maxillary sinus, doc said it wasnt serious

2005 had MRI of brain--diagnosis of Multiple Sclerosis

2005 Oral Surgeon said facial pain was TMJ and Rxed physical therapy

From the literature, and the dates of the start of my MS
symptoms, right about in the mid 1990s, it is common for infections to travel not only into the bone but thru the blood brain barrier most commonly from upper respiratory (sinus) and dental infections.

I am just now piecing together what happened. The infections lingering so long have just about decimated the left side of my face, and NO dentist is willing to do anything about it! I CANNOT go on with these symptoms any more. Why cant they: do cultures of my eustacian tube, redo my root canals and crowns, and do an MRI? Is it because it's part dental and part ENT? I am in misery for 10 years. Every time I eat fruit, vegetables or meat I have to floss, painfully, immediately. Please, I need help! Thanks for listening to all this, T

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2006, 03:24 PM   #2
(female)

trucky HB User
Re: 10 years of inflammation and facial numbness

Is there anyone who can respond to my post?

Old 03-20-2006, 05:42 PM   #3
(female)

katzfriend HB User

Hi Trucky,
wow - you are having some major dental problems and beyond. I really don't know what to tell you. Hopefully someone will come by and be able to recommend a good dentist/oral surgeon? in your area!
I guess if I were you, I 'd probably have those bothersome teeth removed and get implants and a bridge (supported by those implants) But I am certainly no expert.
Best of luck to you!!!!

Old 03-21-2006, 10:14 AM   #4
(female)

Traumatized HB User

Wow!
I can relate to some of this...scárey stuff.
I have had severe oral pain for just two years compared with your ten...I have lost one t ooth so far and because of this tooth, the whole problem has swung out of control. The tooth was rc and failed causing severe facial pain and numbness on the otherhand. The tooth was then extracted because I was at wit's end. Problems cont. regardless so it wasn't the tooth's fault. Had all remaining wisdom teeth extracted to elminate them as the cause and things just got worse. My parotids swell up on a reg basis and so do my other salivaries but not as severely. My ears suffer but the Ents have been useless so far that I have been to. I have tested positive for having had parotitis but it is not currently active in me and yet the same sweeling round and round. I have tested slightly positive for HHV6 but I don't think it can do all of what else I am going through. I have sore gums in specific places but no probs underneath. My mouth tastes of metal and my lips start to burn and shake when things get bad....then there is the internal side. My lungs are buggered, my pancreas or something in that area is often in pain, I change colors (Im a chameleon now), I have a weak capillary on my head so basically a lump on top of it all. Immune disorders have been eliminated and so has cancer. I am at wits end and the doctors are stumped. I am in the process of having an izotop done focussed on antigranulocytes. The bouts use to be once a month and now I am in constant pain. I can't eat without feeling internal pain and not as day passes by without facial pain, dental pain and a foul taste in my mouth. I have days when I think it is all over as if I am overwhelmed by sth viral or bacterial. My heart is involved as well now. I feel hopeless. I know that it is not a purely dental problem anymore and I think that the first tooth that supposedly started the whole thing was actually a syptom of something else. Unfortunately, nobody xrayed it before drilling into it and starting the rc...I live in a backwards country atm...so I am beginning to wonder whether the tooth was actually healthy and sth was putting pressure on it from below...glands. I believe that the tooth became infected over time when it was swimming in the saliva with the unknown problem in it.
Sorry for rambling a load of symptoms and feelings. I haven't been much help because i am also in the process of trying to figure the whole thing out and why my poor once very strong teeth, are taking the toll.
I have to go ....write more later...
Keep us up to date....Any input will help others out with similar problems. This board has already been very helpful in pointing me towards certain directions of what it all might be.
Take care

Old 03-22-2006, 09:38 AM   #5
(female)

Traumatized HB User

Hello again Trucky,
How are you feeling?
I am in sheere pain and my back, or rather livers and something else are acting up along with my glands and the shooting throb coming from my jaw where my dentist thinks I have osteomyelitis. Now I need a doctor who will believe me and treat the HHV6. Viruses are nasty and I never would have thought that they could affect one's teeeth so much.
I think that your teeth are suffering from the ENT or infectious diseases side. Don't let a ddt drill around anymore until you get the underlying problem under control. You are just exposing your teeth to infection this way. I am not a doctor but I have done a lot of research because i am sick of being brushed off by drs as a lunatic. I have been sent to the shrinkn a few times for hyponchondria and stress related facial pain. What a load of rubbish. I have stood behind my own opinion the whole time and demanded blood tests for this and that and finally now, what I originally thought in the summer, HHV6 is positive. My dr still doesn't believe me though and literally slammed the door in my face this morn and told me not to bother him anymore. I was in shock, especially since the test came back positive and cleared the whole picture up...why I feel like i have encephelitis, liver infection, pneumonia etc...My next goal, If I don't die first, I feel really really sick, I can not bend my neck well today...I need a good ent or inf.diseases dr. who will believe me.
I wish you luck trucky....don't give up

Old 03-23-2006, 02:00 PM   #6
(female)

trucky HB User

Good for you! And it's all true.

I have an appt with a new dentist recommended by the gal @ the endodontist's office. I'm going to have them remove the 2 crowns and extract the one molar causing the problem--at least I hope that's the problem. Then if I ever get enuf $ I'll get a bridge.

I cant believe how a simple infection can travel all around the tissues and canals and sinuses and teeth and bones! At least Mayo Clinic knew all along about all these connections and there's a questionnaire going around about people with Parkinson's who had/have chronic sinus problems. It's just micrometers between all these places and the brain. These managed care outfits dont care about the risks of these everyday infections--just one more bites the dust. I'm not a clean freak, but gimme a break!

OK, that's enuf. I'll keep you posted, T

Old 03-23-2006, 08:58 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

rhody HB Userrhody HB Userrhody HB User

I had headaches, muscle aches after exercising, lower back aches, and chest pains etc. After I got rid of my mercury fillings over 10 years ago, they all went away over time. The headaches never came back. I had durable porcelain fillings put in, in place of the metal fillings, and now lead a normal life.

Some people also have had trouble with composite fillings and root canals. I've read that root canals can contain dangerous amounts of bacteria, and cause some people problems.

I guess there's so much unknown things out there, about many different components, and how they react to our bodies. I think it's still a new part of science, and they don't have all the answers.

The symptoms that affected my mouth were loose teeth and gum problems. Those problems went away too. I don't know if any of you can relate to my experiences, but I thought I would post them to see if it could help in any way. Apparently, there's thousands of people who have linked their health problems to dental work, of one kind or another.

Old 03-24-2006, 10:53 PM   #8
(female)

HikeCO HB User
Dental Pain

Trucky -
I was interested in your story ... I am three years years into severe facial (ear/jaw) pain that began with dental work ... very long story ...

You mentioned finding someone at Mayo Clinic that could put together connection with medical/dental health issues ... I live in Colorado and have been unable to find someone with that expertise ... who did you see?? I would certainly make a trip there if it would help me!!! Pain intense ... desperate!!!!

Thanks ...

Old 09-26-2006, 08:38 AM   #9
(female)

trucky HB User
To HikeCo

Finally read your reply!!Sorry! to send you the web address for the Mayo info I have to be able to send you a message off the board (not allowed to post other addresses)--so if you need more info, edit your User CP to receive messages. Otherwise, just Google Mayo sinus fungus.
Sorry for the delay! --T

Closed Thread