It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2006, 02:14 AM   #1
(female)

mlg2804 HB User
Gum Infection Around Wisdom Teeth

Hi,

I hope someone can give me some advice on how to proceed here.

For the last 3 weeks I've been in pain from an infection around my wisdom teeth on the right side -- though the lower right side was more painful to begin with.

Anyway went to the dentist and he put me on an antibiotic Metronidazole 200mg 3 times a day for 3 days. Didn't feel better until 48 hours afterwards. Stopped after 3 days and the pain came back. Went back to see him. He put me on amoxycillin 250mg 3 times a day for 5 days. Two days later after that the pain was so bad I couldn't sleep and I was in tears. Went back to see him and cried in his office saying I can't deal with this anymore. He was sympathetic but said that he'd followed the standard course of treatment. By this time my jaw was rather swollen and I couldn't even touch the right side of my face it hurt so much.

In the end I convinced him to give me another course of Metronidazole which he did for 5 days 250mg 3 times a day. By the following morning the jaw swelling can gone down and I could touch my face again. I was still in pain, but it was more manageable.

5 days later I went back at the end of the course of the antibiotics for a check up. I told him the pain was much better but it was still there, only slight. He then told me well I'm always gonna be in pain until I have the wisdom teeth removed. Because I'm in the UK, it could be up to 6 months waiting to have the surgery -- our health system is crazy.

I was kinda despondent about him saying that I was just going to have to live with the pain, but he told me to give it time and that the infection should settle down.

It's now been 11 days since I stopped the antibiotics and I am in pain every day. I take painkillers to get through the day. I have pain in both the lower gum around the wisdom tooth on the right and the upper gum around the upper wisdom tooth. Today I have a slight temperature and I don't feel well. I also seem to have a slight metallic taste in my mouth and I noticed there seems to be pus around the upper wisdom tooth.

I forgot to say that both wisdom teeth are impacted and only half way thru. This is however the first time I've ever had such pain and trouble with them.

Now I get the feeling my dentist thinks I'm hysterical and he doesn't seem very helpful. The way he told me that he's followed the course of treatment and there's nothing more to be done frightens me. I cannot imagine being in this kind of pain waiting for surgery for the next 6 months.

Most of the time the pain is a dull ache and can be described like an ear ache, though the last 2 days that upper gum/tooth has been giving me sharp pain that radiates to the ear as well.

So my questions are

1) Has anyone else had infection around their wisdom teeth and the pain returned after antibiotics? If yes, did you have another course of antibiotics or just live with the pain?

2) Any suggestions on how I should manage this? Should I go back to the dentist and demand something be done, or suffer in silence?

3) Anyone else in the UK having to deal with long waiting times for wisdom teeth extraction and being in pain?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading.

Monica

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2006, 03:36 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hope4All HB UserHope4All HB User
Re: Gum Infection Around Wisdom Teeth

OMG!!!! I feel so bad for you! I would go see another dentist if you can! If the tooth is partially exposed why cant he take 15min and pull it for you. I live in the US but this seems like a load of garbage to me!

It didn't take me that long to have ALL my teeth extracted and get dentures put in! Even though I'm having pain, I know from past teeth being infected that the pain I'm in is nothing compared to what your dealing with!

Hang in there and fight for yourself! Infections shouldn't be just "left alone" for 6months.

[Please do not use cuss/slang words. Thanks - Well-come Moderator.]

Last edited by Well-come; 03-26-2006 at 07:05 PM.

Old 03-26-2006, 03:47 AM   #3
(female)

mlg2804 HB User

Hi Hope4All,

Thanks for the sympathy. The extraction can't be done at the dentists. I have curly roots on all my wisdom teeth. He already explained to me that it will a complicated procedure and should be done under general anaesthesia.

As for waiting the 6 months, that's just basic here in the UK for any hospital referral. We just don't have enough dentists/doctors/surgeons and our health service is vastly underfunded. It's a chronic situation.

So basically he said until the teeth are removed I'll have to be in pain. And if the condition flares up (it never seemed to subside) that I'll have to go back on the antibiotics. Sigh...

Thanks for the advice. I probably will go back as this just isn't getting better. But if he tells me there's nothing more he can do I think I really will lose it.

Monica

Old 03-26-2006, 09:54 AM   #4
(female)

Nance77 HB User

Hi
I had an infection in my lower right gum around an impacted wisdom tooth...It wasnt quite as bad as yours, I dont think..The gum area was swollen over the wisdom tooth and very sore..Couldnt chew on that side and had lower jaw pain, but no pus...The dentist gave me Keflex antibiotic and it worked within a few days...He did tell me if it kept getting infected, I should have the wisdom tooth removed..It did clear up, but if it would continue to happen, I would get it surgically extracted...
I am in the US, so if you had that problem here, they would defiintely send u to an oral surgeon to have it extracted under IV sedation, which would be your best bet..But I dont know how it works over there or what u need to do, but they need to surgically remove that tooth as an emergecy cos its been infected for awhile and not getting any better..
I hope u can find somewhere to go and get it taken care of as soon as possible...Are there oral surgeons there u can go to, rather than a regular dentist?
Take Care
Nancy

Old 03-26-2006, 01:51 PM   #5
(female)

cherrypayne1957 HB User

One of the best ways I have found to relieve some of the pain and inflammation is to rinse your mouth out with warm salt water. It has a way of reducing the swelling and going after the infection. Salt may not be good for many things but I have found it to be a god-send when it comes to oral problems.

I have a partial on top and am about to go through some scaling and planing on my gums and a possible root canal, and hopefully won't need that but a filling is definitely coming the same day. I have a lot of bone loss in my mouth from various infections and that will cause some pain as well.

I am sorry to hear you have to wait so long. I grumble if I have to wait 2 or 3 weeks.

Hope you feel better soon. I remember having my wisdom teeth removed and mine were impacted in the back against my molars which caused that infection.

Old 03-26-2006, 05:31 PM   #6
(male)

AaronR HB User

Have you tried Chlorohexidine mouth wash, it's a prescription. Twice a day, use a syringe to rinse infected area.

Old 03-26-2006, 09:27 PM   #7
(female)

mlg2804 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nance77
Hi
I had an infection in my lower right gum around an impacted wisdom tooth...It wasnt quite as bad as yours, I dont think..The gum area was swollen over the wisdom tooth and very sore..Couldnt chew on that side and had lower jaw pain, but no pus...The dentist gave me Keflex antibiotic and it worked within a few days...He did tell me if it kept getting infected, I should have the wisdom tooth removed..It did clear up, but if it would continue to happen, I would get it surgically extracted...
So Nancy, once the antibiotic was finished, you weren't in any pain? My dentist said I'd always be in pain until the teeth come out, the antibiotics weren't going to cure it completely. That doesn't sound right to me.

Quote:
I am in the US, so if you had that problem here, they would defiintely send u to an oral surgeon to have it extracted under IV sedation, which would be your best bet..But I dont know how it works over there or what u need to do, but they need to surgically remove that tooth as an emergecy cos its been infected for awhile and not getting any better..
It is recommended I have the wisdom teeth extracted but nothing is considered an emergency here in the UK. Our waiting lists for surgery are so long. Our health system is crazy. I'm waiting to go see the oral surgeon, but who knows when that will be.

Quote:
I hope u can find somewhere to go and get it taken care of as soon as possible...Are there oral surgeons there u can go to, rather than a regular dentist?
Well my regular dentist has written to the hospital and hopefully I'll get to see the oral surgeon for a referral within a few weeks. He will then assess me and decide how we should proceed with the extraction etc etc. But it won't speed up the waiting time. I know it will be at least 4-6 months before I can have them removed. I could go privately and have it done straight away but I don't have the funds. It would cost something around $2500.
Our medical system is funded by the government, but if you ask me it's vastly underfunded, hence the enormous waiting times.

In the meantime I don't know what to do. If this pain continues though, I'll have to go back to the dentist and just be put on more antibiotics and wait.

Old 03-26-2006, 09:31 PM   #8
(female)

mlg2804 HB User

Quote:
One of the best ways I have found to relieve some of the pain and inflammation is to rinse your mouth out with warm salt water. It has a way of reducing the swelling and going after the infection. Salt may not be good for many things but I have found it to be a god-send when it comes to oral problems.
Cherry, I've been doing the salt washes and yes they help a bit.

Quote:
Have you tried Chlorohexidine mouth wash, it's a prescription. Twice a day, use a syringe to rinse infected area
I have chlorohexidine mouthwash which my dentist told me to use up to 4 times a day, but I bought it over the counter. Here in the UK it's called Corsodyl. But no you don't get a syringe with it. When I was at the dentist he did irrigate the area with a syringe and injected some chlorohexidine into the gum -- but he never mentioned that I do this myself. I'll ask next time I see him. Thanks for the suggestion, Aaron.

Old 04-05-2006, 11:22 AM   #9
(female)

missesshaffer HB User

I feel for you. I'm suffering with an periapical abscess right now and am waiting to see an oral surgeon on the 18th of this month. My dentist (Dr G.) is the coolest. He has had me on 3 rounds of antibiotics this month, and he keeps on rewriting me pain meds too. He has been very good about taking care of me til I get these damn teeth cut out. I would see another dentist if I were you, and if you can't, demand another round of antibiotics, and make sure he gives you something to ease the pain. They really can't just leave you to suffer. Good luck.

Old 04-06-2006, 12:27 AM   #10
(female)

mlg2804 HB User

Hi missesshaffer, thanks for your post.

After posting here last I did go back to the dentist and was put on another round of antibiotics. It helped a little but I'm still in pain. I get to see the oral surgeon for a consultation on the 27th, but have no idea when I'll actually get the surgery. I'll see what he says then -- maybe if he thinks it's an emergency case that antibiotics don't seem to respond to he'll do the surgery sooner. I can't say as I don't have any experience with what they'd consider "emergency" in regard to wisdom teeth.

I'd hate to think I'm gonna suffer for another few months, but I won't know anymore until I see him.

Monica

Old 10-31-2009, 05:58 AM   #11
(female)

tree12 HB User

Hi I sympathise with you completely. I live in the UK and had the same problem mine flared up June '09 and didnt get removed until Oct '09. My dentist said he couldnt remove it and id have to have an oral surgeon do it so I just had to sit it out it wasn't fun! But dentist was very supportive. Have to say though when I did get the appointemnt they were really good. Great aftercare too. Hope you get sorted soon.

Old 10-31-2009, 02:13 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User

Partially exposed wisdom teeth are most vulnerable to infection and problems. This is because the gum does not seal around the enamel crown like it does on the root of the tooth, which can allow bacteria and food particles to get between the gum and tooth.

Removal of impacted wisdom teeth is generally something you'd see an oral surgeon for.

Closed Thread