It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

i have 6 wisdom teeth????

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-27-2006, 08:21 AM   #1
MA_mom
(female)

MA_mom HB User
Exclamation i have 6 wisdom teeth????

hey
I recently posted about having all 4 of my wisdom teeth needing to be removed. well i thought i'd give you all an update about all the drama.....
lol... I went saturday morning thinking i was going to have alll 4 wisdom teeth out. I got there... the dentist looked at my x-rays and said we have a problem. The one wisdom tooth that is always bothering me will be easy to remove ( ) Okay now the complicated stuff.... the other wisdom tooth on the bottom is directly touching a large nerve and will be extremely complicated to remove ( and he doesnt have the correct equipment the that facility) so that one must stay for now. Now he looked at the top row and said " wow these top ones are really small... they'll be easy to get out too"
So i went in the room... he looked in my mouth and started counting my molars with a puzzled look on his face. Then he started laughing and said he's only seen this one time in his career. He said I have 2 sets of wisdom teeth on my top row. So in total I have 6. ????????????? WHAT??
Has anyone ever heard of this before?????? I think he's crazy.
Well after hearing this i dont even know why i let him pull my other tooth on the bottom. He made an incision... finally got the tooth out..stiched my up... then told me i'd be very sore and to take motrin. ??? motrin???
Well then i find out it's against his morals to prescribe anything stronger than motrin... just my luck.
So now im a hurtin unit ( 3 days later)..i was up at 2am crying last night because of the pain... and lack of sleep is driving me nuts.
Now i'm wondering if i should have this guy do the other complicated wisdom tooth??
anyway sorry this is so long. Anyone have any suggestions or comments??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2006, 10:20 AM   #2
mlg2804
(female)

mlg2804 HB User
Re: i have 6 wisdom teeth????

Don't have any advice to give, just wanna say I really sympathise with the pain. I thought in the States they normally prescribe Vicodin or Percoset for wisdom tooth removal. What about asking your doctor to prescribe you something?

If you're not sleeping and the Motrin is useless, why suffer? I'm useless with pain. I have to have my wisdom teeth out and I'm really worried about the pain.

With the complicated tooth, did he suggest having it done by an oral surgeon in a hospital?

Monica

Last edited by mlg2804; 03-27-2006 at 10:20 AM.

Old 03-27-2006, 02:52 PM   #3
MA_mom
(female)

MA_mom HB User

i just got off the phone with my doctor and told them the mortin doesnt work and f i could get anything else but they refused. OH well... motrin it is
I did, however, do some research online and there is such a thing as extra wisdom teeth ..it's called supernumary teeth. i guess only 4% of the population have this...and it's mostly males. I guess im just a lucky girl! lol... wish those chances could get me to win the lottery!!

Last edited by MA_mom; 03-27-2006 at 02:54 PM.

Old 03-27-2006, 03:33 PM   #4
mlg2804
(female)

mlg2804 HB User

Sorry to hear that. I was prescribed an anti-inflammatory pain killer for my gum infection and it didn't touch the pain so I called my doc and she prescribed me aceteminophen and codeine, which at least makes me feel a bit better.

Teeth pain is no fun. I'm really surprised you are only getting Motrin. That's like Ibuprofen, right? If the pain gets no better, I suggest you go back to the dentist, tell them you are in agony and beg them to prescribe something stronger. I know when my sister had her wisdom teeth out she was on Percoset for several days.

Best of luck and hope the pain subsides soon.

Monica

Old 03-28-2006, 03:50 AM   #5
anitak1982
Veteran
(female)

anitak1982 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsayzak2
hey
I recently posted about having all 4 of my wisdom teeth needing to be removed. well i thought i'd give you all an update about all the drama.....
lol... I went saturday morning thinking i was going to have alll 4 wisdom teeth out. I got there... the dentist looked at my x-rays and said we have a problem. The one wisdom tooth that is always bothering me will be easy to remove ( ) Okay now the complicated stuff.... the other wisdom tooth on the bottom is directly touching a large nerve and will be extremely complicated to remove ( and he doesnt have the correct equipment the that facility) so that one must stay for now. Now he looked at the top row and said " wow these top ones are really small... they'll be easy to get out too"
So i went in the room... he looked in my mouth and started counting my molars with a puzzled look on his face. Then he started laughing and said he's only seen this one time in his career. He said I have 2 sets of wisdom teeth on my top row. So in total I have 6. ????????????? WHAT??
Has anyone ever heard of this before?????? I think he's crazy.
Well after hearing this i dont even know why i let him pull my other tooth on the bottom. He made an incision... finally got the tooth out..stiched my up... then told me i'd be very sore and to take motrin. ??? motrin???
Well then i find out it's against his morals to prescribe anything stronger than motrin... just my luck.
So now im a hurtin unit ( 3 days later)..i was up at 2am crying last night because of the pain... and lack of sleep is driving me nuts.
Now i'm wondering if i should have this guy do the other complicated wisdom tooth??
anyway sorry this is so long. Anyone have any suggestions or comments??

Have I heard this? Yup! I had 6 my son had 6 and my daughter had 8 two on each side.

Old 03-28-2006, 06:35 AM   #6
Hope4All
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hope4All HB UserHope4All HB User

You may have to go to the dentist and complain. I know with my dentists they are NOT allowed by law to just prescribe a narcotic like vicodin without seeing you first and then writing a script. when I use to be in that much pain I'd make an appt and tell them I need something until the tooth/teeth got pulled.

Old 03-28-2006, 07:06 AM   #7
anitak1982
Veteran
(female)

anitak1982 HB User

You might also have a dry socket or food down in the hole. You do not have to suffer. Insist on the Doctor doing something.

Old 03-29-2006, 01:27 AM   #8
wintersun
Veteran
(female)

wintersun HB User

I would get another dentist just for not giving me painkillers!! No way would I stand for THAT!

Old 03-29-2006, 07:58 AM   #9
MA_mom
(female)

MA_mom HB User

yes i've decided to find another oral surgeon for the rest of my wisdom teeth. Like I said...I called the office and asked for something stronger. The receptionist said I needed to come in the get it checked out and I agreed. I asked her if I drove all the way up there ( it's an hour drive from me) if I was going to get another prescription and she said no.. he deffinately will not prescribe anything stronger.. but he can check to see if there's an infection. Well my appointment is today but i've decided not to go. The tooth itself looks good.. and the pain is getting better. Right about now it's really really sore ( and i just took a motrin) and i think my ear hurts more than the tooth itself. It feels like i have an earache.
ANyway the stitches were kind of dangling yesturday so i grabbed the loose end and gave it a gentle pull.. and they slid right out. At least now im a little more comfortable with those out.

Old 03-30-2006, 01:41 AM   #10
Dan_Sims
Inactive
(male)

Dan_Sims HB User

lindsayzak2, smart move to see another surgeon.
Tell us what the surgeon recommends.

Old 03-30-2006, 06:22 AM   #11
SportHorse
(female)

SportHorse HB User

Lindsayzak2 - Im glad to hear you are going to try a different oral surgeon! That is insanity that the one you went to is not willing to manage your pain! I hope that you continue to feel better. Im sorry you had to go through that

Closed Thread