It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2006, 08:24 AM   #1
(male)

n3ver HB User
Unhappy Hard, Painless Lump on Gum

Okay - someone save me from freaking out.

For about the last week, I've noticed a very slight pain between/around my backmost two teeth on the left side of my upper set. It didn't bother me much, I tend to have quite a few slight pains due to cavities (which are, sadly, plentiful).

Yesterday, as I probed about the area, I noticed a large, hard, painless lump above those two teeth. In fact, it's shockingly hard, it almost feels like bone. As I said, there's no pain, even when I press it - only a very slight pain sometimes when I draw air through the area.

Also - not sure if this is relevant - my allergies have been really bad for the last 3 weeks or so. I've assumed this is due to the INSANE pollen levels in my area, but could it related to a tooth problem instead?

Does anyone know what's going on?

Old 04-02-2006, 03:16 PM   #2
(female)

katzfriend HB User
Re: Hard, Painless Lump on Gum

I'd hate to alarm you but it sounds like an abscess, or it could be a cyst. In any case, I'd get it checked out by a dentist soon. If it is an abscess, it could get very painful and you want to avoid that. Maybe someone else will have different ideas as to what could be causing this. Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-04-2006, 06:13 AM   #3
(male)

n3ver HB User

Thanks for the reply

Honestly, I'll be pretty happy provided its not cancer.

I've been researching abcesses a bit, and I only have a few of the symptoms (which is enough, of course). It seems to be growing a bit and I notice some sensitivity to hot/cold. Hopefully I can get to the dentist this week or next...

Old 04-05-2006, 11:08 AM   #4
(female)

missesshaffer HB User

That's how mine started, as a small hard lump. But the bigger it gets you can bet it's going to start to hurt. Mine was there for more than a week before it got real painful. Anyway, I have a periapical abscess, which is an abscess above my two back molars. It presented itself as swelling in my upper jaw/cheek area. I've been on two seperate antibiotics. Took Penicillin 500mgs 4xday for 10 days - did nothing. Then Clindamycin 150mgs - 3xday, which also did nothing. Then Clindamycin 300mgs 3xday, which I'm still on. The pain is terrible, but thank God I have the coolest dentist ever and he gives me as much pain relief meds as I need. I have an appointment with an oral surgeon on April 18th, but I couldn't wait that long to have it drained, so I did it myself. I took a syringe, poked a hole in the abscess, then this morning it started to drain. I called Dr. G (my dentist) and told him about the drainage and he said to continue my antibiotics and let him know if anything at all changed. I'm gonna have to have both my molars cut out by the oral surgeon. I'm going to have I.V. sedation though so hopefully it won't be too bad. Hope this helped. Get to a doctor a.s.a.p. about that!

Old 04-05-2006, 11:36 AM   #5

marionf HB User

Go see your Dentist even if you never experience any pain. It is a sure sign of infection. I found one a couple of months ago with no pain or symptoms.
The dentist gave me antibiotics and said I would need a root cannel or take out the tooth. I wasn't having any pain because the nerve was dead in the tooth. An x-ray showed I was already getting some bone loss from the infection. Never ignore it could lead to real trouble.

Old 04-06-2006, 04:58 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

SusanGene HB User

My hard lump didn't hurt either. UNTIL one day driving and WAM !! Boy, pain shot through it.
I went to my dentist who referred me to an endodontist who did a root canal. Then the lump disappeared.
Then it came back; then went away. It's back now but MUCH MUCH smaller than before the root canal. It sounds like an old wives' tale, (I AM an old wife), but gargling with hot salty water is the Best thing you can do. I mean, 3 times a day. Good Luck and see your dentist.

Old 04-11-2006, 08:42 PM   #7
(female)

ScarlettA HB User

Hi - could be that your painless lump that "feels like bone", actually IS bone! I have bone spurs all over my gums. My gums have always been very bony and stick out pretty bad, and now I have all of these small hard spurs. The dentist told me that they are usually caused from grinding or clenching your teeth together really hard while you sleep. Over the years it forces these little spurs to grow out of the bone. They do not hurt, unless I do some vigorous brushing with my electric toothbrush, and happen to hit one. Ouch!

Old 05-13-2006, 01:33 AM   #8
(female)

unique99 HB User

Hi, could u explain to me what these look like? Could they look like a big blister? Or boil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarlettA
Hi - could be that your painless lump that "feels like bone", actually IS bone! I have bone spurs all over my gums. My gums have always been very bony and stick out pretty bad, and now I have all of these small hard spurs. The dentist told me that they are usually caused from grinding or clenching your teeth together really hard while you sleep. Over the years it forces these little spurs to grow out of the bone. They do not hurt, unless I do some vigorous brushing with my electric toothbrush, and happen to hit one. Ouch!

Old 05-29-2006, 07:47 PM   #9
(female)

carol592 HB User

Run a search on "Torus Mandibularis" sounds like it could be this.

Old 03-19-2007, 01:10 AM   #10
(female)

Singapore HB User

Hi Scarlett,
Me too have the same problem with you. I have painless bone/swell all over my gum (front, back, upper and lower jaw).
Over time, it grow gradually, i am really worry that it maybe some kind of abnormal grow. I don't have the courage to see a surgeon. What should i do?
what is your condition, just want to know whether i am having the same problem as you.

God blessed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarlettA View Post

Old 01-30-2009, 02:21 PM   #11
(male)

Tomwolf2 HB User
Re: Bone spur on the gum

Dear Gentlemen:

I noticed a bone spur on my gums on the left side, what can I do to get rid of the bone spur without surgery? if any.

Old 02-01-2009, 01:42 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

SusanGene HB User

it's an absess and you won't have REAL TROUBLE, you'll have a root canal and the bump will go away. Then in a few years you'll have to have it pulled out.
I don't call this Real Trouble. I call it Life. If this is the worse trouble you ever have , you'll have a blessed existence.

Old 10-03-2009, 12:06 AM   #13
(female)

colicookie HB User

Hey, I think I have what you had...I just got teeth 1 & 3 pulled, a wisdom and a regular molar. The bump is about an inch long and starts at the hole of the molar and goes back along my gumline to the hole of the wisdom tooth. I had a root canal on the molar about 8 years ago. I thought it would go away, but I had my boyfriend feel it tonight and he got freaked out, so now I'm freaking. It's late Friday night so I might not get to even talk to a dentist till Monday. What ended up happening with yours?

Thanks!

Old 10-03-2009, 12:08 AM   #14
(female)

colicookie HB User

Oh, and btw Susan...a person can definitely be freaking out about a tooth/mouth problem while still having real, true trouble going on...it's your mouth, it's kind of an important place...and I *hate* the dentist, so I can understand. As minuscule a problem it may be...it's not the funnest thing in the world.

Old 10-03-2009, 12:09 AM   #15
(female)

colicookie HB User

And I meant that in a kind way!

Closed Thread