It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2006, 05:33 PM   #1
(male)

ChesterCityfan HB User
Bad saliva taste

hey,

over the past few weeks I've noticed that my saliva tastes a bit weird. Its almost like its a bit creamier/thicker than normal (the taste I mean). I was aware that it might be thrush because there is a small layer on whiteness on my tongue. But when i googled it i found the symptoms of that to be much worse that what i've got.
However, and this may sound a bit obvious. I rarely clean my teeth. Dunno why, just havem't really been pressured to in my life and the most amount of time i've spent in the dentist chair is about 35 seconds as my teeth have always been fine (yeah, i'm a lucky SOB!). I don't particulary have a problem with bad breath though but could this still be the root of my saliva problems?

any advice appreciated, thanks

Old 04-09-2006, 05:37 PM   #2
(male)

joplin7042 HB User
Re: Bad saliva taste

A bad taste in the mouth is not a pleasant experience and is worth the time investigating. It can have several possible causes. Post nasal drip from nasal allergies and/or a sinus infection can not only alter the taste but cause bad breath. The solution in this case it to address the allergy problem and regularly rinse the nose, throat and mouth.

Food can ferment and leave a bad taste in the mouth when food gets trapped between teeth. A wisdom tooth often does not have enough room to erupt into the mouth and a gum pouch can form above the tooth. It is common for these pouches to collect food. Vitamin and mineral deficiencies can cause foul tastes along with acid reflux disease.

Many medications have the side effect of causing a bad taste in the mouth . In fact, many medications cause dry mouth and cause the same effects as Sjogren's syndrome. Saliva normally wets the mouth and serves as a natural lubricant. It also contains enzymes that begin the digestion process. With dry mouth there is very little saliva so food tends to stick to the tissues in the mouth and rots. The result is the production of sulfur gases that can cause bad breath.

If you have a bad taste in the mouth , there are several things that you can do at home to possibly help. Keep your mouth clean so that food will not ferment. Thoroughly brush and clean your tongue, cheeks, teeth, gums and palate. Gargle with salt water to kill the remaining bacteria. Drink plenty of water to keep your mouth moist and rinse food particles away.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread