It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2006, 03:55 AM   #1
(female)

mariazzzz HB User
Biting pain 2 months after root canal.

Hi, I'll try to make this short. 2+ months ago had root canal by endo. on back molar..Since then I have a biting pain (it also happens when I drink or suck air in a certain way). I have had the tooth ground down, have seen my dentist and endodontist each a few times who says the xray is text book perfect, to give it time to heal. Endo said if it is not better in 2 more months he could go back in and see if he missed anything which he doubts he did...Besides the biting pain, I have a feeling of something at times around the gums/chin/ear. Not pain , just noticible. They both said there is no infection, antibiotics would be useless....Has anyone experienced anything like this. I am so upset. I was so worried about the root canal procedure in the first place (which went very well thank goodness, though I still do not ever want another) now, I am not healing or something.....Please, anyone with advice, help.....Should I see an oral surgeon, any adivce appreciated..I am also worried that toxins or whatever were pushed into the jaw during the cleaning of the roots, what do I do?......M

Old 04-10-2006, 09:06 AM   #2
(female)

SushiK HB User
Re: Biting pain 2 months after root canal.

Well, I am in a similar situation. I had mine done almost 9 months ago & I'm still in pain. The endo & dentist both said it was "textboook." I have pain sometimes when I bite/chew on that tooth, but not all the time. I have sensitivity to heat, but not cold. I especially have pain with hot liquids. I've spent a lot of money repairing this tooth & I'd hate to have them drill back through the crown to find nothing. So, I'm holding off on doing anything about it. I complain to the dentist everytime I'm in there - he does an x-ray & says it looks fine. I guess I'll just live with it, until it causes more problems. Please write back on here if you find anything out. Best of luck to you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2006, 04:10 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Tattooall HB User

Do either of you have the CROWN on the tooth yet? Has your dentist checked for any high spots? I had a ton of pain in my tooth when I had a root canal and my new dentist (the one that did the root canal was a moron) found several high spots which he filed down and I am in the process of having the crown done.

Root canals put a ton of stress on the nerve that runs through your jaw and on the tissues below and around the tooth. It can take months for these to settle down again. Also once a root canal is done the tooth is nothing but filling and that filling is not strong enough to hold up against chewing pressure. You need a crown to make the tooth strong again. Without a crown the tooth can split and then you will need to have it removed

Just something to think about.

Old 04-11-2006, 09:47 AM   #4
(female)

SushiK HB User

Yes, I have a crown - so that is why I don't want to have more work done on that tooth. My dentist did adjust my bite, but I don't think that's it. I'm pretty sure I also have TMJ because I wake up with headaches & I catch myself clenching my jaw throughout the day, so that could have something to do with the tooth being sore. Although, that still doesn't explain the sensitivity to heat. I'm just not sure what to do.

Old 04-11-2006, 11:03 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Tattooall HB User

The heat sensitivity could just be because your tooth is still upset from having all the work done. I know mine was! It takes a while for the nerves in the tissue around the tooth to calm down my dentist told me.
TMJ is a huge pain. I would ask you dentist about getting fitted for a splint. I am having one made to wear at night when I sleep. It cuts down on the tension from clenching & grinding and will allow the muscles to relax.

Best of luck!

Old 04-11-2006, 05:53 PM   #6
(female)

mariazzzz HB User

Hi , Thanks to you 2 for answering. I guess I forgot to add that it hurts just to touch this tooth. I mean touch it with a cotton swab or lightly with my finger. Just about anywhere on the tooth. I can't eat on that side. If a tiny piece of something gets on that side by accident it kills. Do you have this also? I do have a crown . It is like the 2nd or 3rd one on there. My dentist was trying to see if a different type of crown would help my original problem before taking the root canal step. Alas, no. I had a biting pain to start with in one section of the tooth. Since the root canal, the whole tooth hurts. I am starting to feel things in my jaw also again and possible nearby teeth. Not real pain but not right. A feeling of parathesia or a pang of discomfort. I am supposed to be getting a new crown put on with a post but to tell you the truth, I don't see why if I already have one. What about that dinky little filling the endo puts in though, shouldn't you have a new crown made to cover that up? Also my dentist ground my tooth down twice though I can still feel it in the morning. I clench at night and it must throw off my bite. I had 2 dif. splint and I can't stand them. Wonder if I should have him gring it even more at least on the sides.....THanks again...M

Old 04-12-2006, 06:36 PM   #7
(female)

indy_gal HB User

Wow.... I feel like you are all telling my life story!

I had a root canal done on a molar, and about a year afterwards it went bad. At first my symptoms were extreme pain with hot foods and beverages, and then just overall pain. The tooth had abscessed...

I was given the choice to have the root canal re-done (drilling through the crown) or to have an apicoectomy (surgury through the gums to remove the abscess and root tip). I opted for the apicoectomy, which temporarily solved the problem.... but a month afterwards I stared having the pain with hot foods again. So then the endodontist re-treated the rootcanal, and it has been relatively problem-free ever since. I say relatively because that tooth never will feel normal, and there are days I have a dull ache in that area of my face.... but I've come to accept it.

Another thing I have in common with you guys is that I am a clencher. In fact, my clenching was probably the reason why that tooth had so many problems to begin with. What turned into a life saver for me was the NTI night guard. I tried regular mouth guards and they never helped the way the NTI has. That's something you might want to look into with your dentist.

But I believe that if you are feeling pain when touching the tooth and pain with heat, that there are untreated nerves still in your tooth or you have a root-tip abscess. Have they done any x-rays that show your root tip? If you have an abscess it should be very easy to spot.

Sorry that you're going throught this. Tooth pain sucks! I'll probably never agree to another root canal again after everything I went through with the first one I got.

Old 04-13-2006, 03:31 AM   #8
(female)

mariazzzz HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy_gal
Wow.... I feel like you are all telling my life story!

I had a root canal done on a molar, and about a year afterwards it went bad. At first my symptoms were extreme pain with hot foods and beverages, and then just overall pain. The tooth had abscessed...

I was given the choice to have the root canal re-done (drilling through the crown) or to have an apicoectomy (surgury through the gums to remove the abscess and root tip). I opted for the apicoectomy, which temporarily solved the problem.... but a month afterwards I stared having the pain with hot foods again. So then the endodontist re-treated the rootcanal, and it has been relatively problem-free ever since. I say relatively because that tooth never will feel normal, and there are days I have a dull ache in that area of my face.... but I've come to accept it.

Another thing I have in common with you guys is that I am a clencher. In fact, my clenching was probably the reason why that tooth had so many problems to begin with. What turned into a life saver for me was the NTI night guard. I tried regular mouth guards and they never helped the way the NTI has. That's something you might want to look into with your dentist.

But I believe that if you are feeling pain when touching the tooth and pain with heat, that there are untreated nerves still in your tooth or you have a root-tip abscess. Have they done any x-rays that show your root tip? If you have an abscess it should be very easy to spot.

Sorry that you're going throught this. Tooth pain sucks! I'll probably never agree to another root canal again after everything I went through with the first one I got.
I have had quite a few xray and they are perfect. My dentists both say there is not infection , no abcess when I asked a while ago. I don't know what to do. I know many (most?) people have no problems with root canal but I am not a fan of them. I only did it as a last resort and I did not want the tooth pulled (scared of that also) and have to get a bridge or implant. I hate my mouth guard. I tried 2 different ones and they both are incredibly uncomfortable etc....What is the NTI niteguard? Thanks for posting......Maria

Old 04-13-2006, 06:37 PM   #9
(female)

indy_gal HB User

That's good news that no infection shows up, but you could still have areas of untreated nerve if you're feeling pain and sensitivity to heat. Did an endodontist do your root canal? (I forget if you said). Because in my case, a regular dentist did my root canal, and when I had it retreated by the endodontist, they had microscopes that the dentist didn't and could see that my canal hadn't been completely cleaned out. I don't know, it's just a possibility.

As for the NTI, it's a small guard that fits over your upper front two teeth. Imagine biting a pencil between your upper and lower front teeth... well, that is the position the NTI leaves you mouth in, so it is impossible to clench down on your molars. The problems I had with regular guards is that I chewed on them and clenched even more. The NTI prevents that. Do a search for it online and you'll find information. They were designed for people who get migranes, (which I don't) but I would be lost without mine. I got it from the dentist for under $200.

Old 04-14-2006, 06:57 AM   #10
(female)

mariazzzz HB User

Hi, I don't have sensitivity to heat. The endodontist said if the biting pain didn't get better he would re do it and look in there with microscopes but from what I have been reading about some peoples pain lasting months to a year I don't want to rush into that. The NTI guard sounds good. I have already wasted so much money at the dentist but when I am able I will ask my dentist about this. I bet he has never heard of it or he would have suggested it. Thanks again. Maria
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy_gal
That's good news that no infection shows up, but you could still have areas of untreated nerve if you're feeling pain and sensitivity to heat. Did an endodontist do your root canal? (I forget if you said). Because in my case, a regular dentist did my root canal, and when I had it retreated by the endodontist, they had microscopes that the dentist didn't and could see that my canal hadn't been completely cleaned out. I don't know, it's just a possibility.

As for the NTI, it's a small guard that fits over your upper front two teeth. Imagine biting a pencil between your upper and lower front teeth... well, that is the position the NTI leaves you mouth in, so it is impossible to clench down on your molars. The problems I had with regular guards is that I chewed on them and clenched even more. The NTI prevents that. Do a search for it online and you'll find information. They were designed for people who get migranes, (which I don't) but I would be lost without mine. I got it from the dentist for under $200.

Old 04-14-2006, 07:20 PM   #11
(female)

Daisy~ HB User

I had a deep filling done in december and I only stopped experiencing pain when I bite 2 weeks ago. I am so relieved because I was so scared I would need a root canal.

So definitely wait a bit...if your dentist, perio, etc, are not seeing any problems...my advice is to wait and see what happens.

Good luck.

Old 04-15-2006, 07:24 AM   #12
(female)

mariazzzz HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy~
I had a deep filling done in december and I only stopped experiencing pain when I bite 2 weeks ago. I am so relieved because I was so scared I would need a root canal.

So definitely wait a bit...if your dentist, perio, etc, are not seeing any problems...my advice is to wait and see what happens.

Good luck.
Hi Daisy, What did your dentist say about the biting pain? Was it the periodontal ligament? Did the tooth hurt when you touched it, flossed and brused etc? Please send more info! Thanks! Maria

Old 04-15-2006, 01:28 PM   #13
(female)

Daisy~ HB User

Hi Maria,

I had a deep filling done early december on a molar. My dentist had told me that I might, in the future, need a root canal because the nerve or pulp ( whichever he said, I don't remember...) got exposed and he had to put medicine before putting the filling in. He said that if I experienced pain to come back.

At first I didn't really pay attention to the pain...I thought it was okay for the first few days. But it wouldn't go away. I experienced pain when I would floss and brush on the biting surface...and then when I would eat something moderately hard, I would get pain. But I never experienced sensitivity to hot or cold.

I went back to my dentist in January and he noticed the filling was a bit high so he filed it down...at that point, the tooth didn't hurt when i flossed or brushed. He looked at the tooth and tapped on it and he said that everything looked good but to come back if the pain was still there in a few weeks...

I experienced pain when biting until 2 weeks. The pain just went away...

I hope that helps you a bit Maria. If you are going through a similar situation, just wait a bit more....when I would bite the pain was strong enough that I wouldn't bite on that side...but that was it... I didn't have pain if I would drink/eat something really cold/hot...

Good luck with everything.

Old 04-15-2006, 02:49 PM   #14
(female)

mariazzzz HB User

Hi Daisy, It sounds very similar to what I am experiencing. I may be even more sensitive cause I can't even chew a piece of bread without pain. Like I said, if I touch it with a "light as a feather" touch it hurts. But I do think I will give it time before I jump into having the endo re open it and look for a missed canal. I certainly hope that ( or a crack!) is not the problem. I am hoping it is just healing slowly, pdl sensitivity and all. Thank you so much for explaining it all to me. Maria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy~
Hi Maria,

I had a deep filling done early december on a molar. My dentist had told me that I might, in the future, need a root canal because the nerve or pulp ( whichever he said, I don't remember...) got exposed and he had to put medicine before putting the filling in. He said that if I experienced pain to come back.

At first I didn't really pay attention to the pain...I thought it was okay for the first few days. But it wouldn't go away. I experienced pain when I would floss and brush on the biting surface...and then when I would eat something moderately hard, I would get pain. But I never experienced sensitivity to hot or cold.

I went back to my dentist in January and he noticed the filling was a bit high so he filed it down...at that point, the tooth didn't hurt when i flossed or brushed. He looked at the tooth and tapped on it and he said that everything looked good but to come back if the pain was still there in a few weeks...

I experienced pain when biting until 2 weeks. The pain just went away...

I hope that helps you a bit Maria. If you are going through a similar situation, just wait a bit more....when I would bite the pain was strong enough that I wouldn't bite on that side...but that was it... I didn't have pain if I would drink/eat something really cold/hot...

Good luck with everything.

Old 04-15-2006, 03:09 PM   #15
(female)

Daisy~ HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariazzzz
Hi Daisy, It sounds very similar to what I am experiencing. I may be even more sensitive cause I can't even chew a piece of bread without pain. Like I said, if I touch it with a "light as a feather" touch it hurts.
Oh it would hurt me when I'd eat bread as well. Anything that required some kind of pressure would hurt though not as much as you. But yeah, wait it out a bit and see how it gets.

In my case, the pain didn't slowly diminish...it wasn't getting better each day, it just went away...Hopefully things will get better for you as well Hang in there!

Closed Thread