HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Dental Health (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/dental-health/)
-   -   I hate my dentures- I hate everything about it!! (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/dental-health/383118-i-hate-my-dentures-i-hate-everything-about.html)

wintersun 04-15-2006 11:09 PM

I hate my dentures- I hate everything about it!!

I hate that stupid plastic feel- I hate my partials-they are so heavy and cumbersome.
I know everyone says stay positive, but I absolutley hate everything about it, and wish I still had my nasty teeth, and put up with comments from that.

I hate them-and wish I still had my nasty teeth- at least they were REAL!
I could EAT, had no pain-they just looked nasty. Long fangs. chipped teeth, etc.I know they were nasty, and had to come out- but I am just not COMFORTABLE, and doubt I ever will be.. Anyway, I'm pretty sure I'll never be that girl in the commmercial..

Like I thought..
All smiling with perfect teeth-I thought that was gonna be me, untill I relized I CANNOT WEAR THEM!!
Bugs the beezezus outaa me wearing all that junk in my mouth!!
UGH!!!!!
Anyone else?? Be honest, and don't tell me everything is gonna be better, cos I highly doubt it!

Anyone else hate these stupid things??????

Blue194 04-16-2006 04:06 AM

Re: I hate my dentures- I hate everything about it!!

wintersun, I understand fully what your going through.
Its actually a good warning to people who dont take their teeth seriously.
Brush your teeth once a day with a soft bristle toothbrush.
Floss atleast once or twice a week.

Just out of curiousity.
How did your teeth get so bad?
Maybe you can warn people.
Did you not brush or visit the dentist one a year.
Thats once thing thats very important.
Everyone should get their teeth cleaned once a year.

Hope4All 04-16-2006 07:29 AM

[QUOTE=wintersun]I hate that stupid plastic feel- I hate my partials-they are so heavy and cumbersome.
I know everyone says stay positive, but I absolutley hate everything about it, and wish I still had my nasty teeth, and put up with comments from that.

I hate them-and wish I still had my nasty teeth- at least they were REAL!
I could EAT, had no pain-they just looked nasty. Long fangs. chipped teeth, etc.I know they were nasty, and had to come out- but I am just not COMFORTABLE, and doubt I ever will be.. Anyway, I'm pretty sure I'll never be that girl in the commmercial..

Like I thought..
All smiling with perfect teeth-I thought that was gonna be me, untill I relized I CANNOT WEAR THEM!!
Bugs the beezezus outaa me wearing all that junk in my mouth!!
UGH!!!!!
Anyone else?? Be honest, and don't tell me everything is gonna be better, cos I highly doubt it!

Anyone else hate these stupid things??????[/QUOTE]

Hi wintersun

I hate my uppers also, my partials are wonderful though on the bottom.
I also hate my soft relines, once I get it done I can no longer taste food all I taste is my denture. I do wear mine constantly though, I was told that is the only way to get use to them, and I only take mine out to sleep.

The saliva is still bad, I keep being told this will also go away but it hasn't and its been almost a month now.

I do not wish for my real teeth though, they were ugly and I was in pain most of the time.

I'm still upset about my two front teeth being off to the left, I'm still unable to smile due to this fact....every reline I get the run around about it, but next time I go in I'm going to have to be MEAN about it, I don't want to but my husband feels thats the only way they are going to fix them.

Did you talk to your dentist with how your feeling? Maybe they can adjust them to make them more comftorable for you.

JanD 04-16-2006 08:01 AM

Wintersun, please do not give up yet. The first week with my upper immediate denture all I did was cry and complain. I hated it, what did I do?, etc. This coming Wed. is 3 weeks for me and I am adjusting very well. I am not so conscious of it anymore, leave it in all day until bedtime, take it out only after meals to clean it. I am eating almost EVERYTHING, in fact, too many snacks. LOL. Even gained back a pound, which I want to nip in the bud. IT DOES GET BETTER. The saliva is getting less and less. I know there is nothing like our own teeth, but we had to do what we had to do. My e-mail is always open. Hugs.

Janice

Hope4All 04-16-2006 08:08 AM

[QUOTE=JanD]Wintersun, please do not give up yet. The first week with my upper immediate denture all I did was cry and complain. I hated it, what did I do?, etc. This coming Wed. is 3 weeks for me and I am adjusting very well. I am not so conscious of it anymore, leave it in all day until bedtime, take it out only after meals to clean it. I am eating almost EVERYTHING, in fact, too many snacks. LOL. Even gained back a pound, which I want to nip in the bud. IT DOES GET BETTER. The saliva is getting less and less. I know there is nothing like our own teeth, but we had to do what we had to do. My e-mail is always open. Hugs.

Janice[/QUOTE]

Janice,

Im very happy for you, you had yours out AFTER me and your eating better than me !!! My saliva is NOT decreasing. Unfortunately not everyone adjusts to them as well as you or me. Heck I'm having more problems than you :( It took my husband 6 months to wear his, he HATED his. Everyone just adjusts differently.

whimsychic 04-16-2006 11:21 PM

I will hopefully be getting dentures very soon, as I am in so so much pain. I am only 32 and very scared, but anything has to be better than this pain. When you talk about the saliva, what do you mean by that? I hope everything orks oput for you wintersun.

kerri0500 04-18-2006 06:57 AM

I have had mine(upper and lower) for about 10 months now. It is not bad at all anymore. I am just used to them I guess. I still have amouth sore on the bottom, but supposedly the more you wear them your body will develop a "callus" so that it goes away. I hope this is the case because it sucks having mouth sores. the saliva is gone and I can eat almost anything. The only reason I can't eat certain things is because of the mouth sore. I am about to take out my own soft reline because it is like really ugly looking befcause it has been there for a long time. I hope everyone gets better soon! It will get a lot better pretty soon, I promise!

blueheartlady 04-18-2006 07:33 AM

Good morning, Kerri....
Have you tried Benzodent for the mouth sores? Also, there is a product called Peroxyl - made by Colgate - it's where mouthwash is found....it is to promote the healing of oral irritations...I've only had my full set of immediates since Jan. 4....and I'm still dealing with the mouth sores on the bottom, too...It's not soooo bad if I keep them from moving around with an adhesive of some kind....If you haven't tried the Benzodent - get some and give it a try...it really numbs those areas that hurt and give us that pain!!!

Jackie

kerri0500 04-18-2006 10:19 AM

Thanks Jackie! Is benzodent an adhesive? I am taking out my temporary ereline today because it looks nasty! Stuff gets under it I assume and now it is gross! So I alreadey know once I do that I am in for more mouth sores, but oh well. Do you have a soft reline or no? I hope yhou feel better

blueheartlady 04-19-2006 06:51 AM

Good morning, Kerri....
Benzodent is just a dental pain relieving cream...and it does help in taking away the pain...I couldn't make it without it...It really does make the sores bearable!! The mouth sores are something we all have to deal with! (something which I would definitely like to do without!!) I know with me, if my dentures move at all, especially the bottom, I get sores...I'm exactly 3 months and 15 days into this journey. I had an appointment with my dentist yesterday afternoon and he added some more soft reline to mine...he had done it the first time about 3 or 4 weeks ago...They had gotten sooooo loose that I couldn't even hold the tops in! I have found 2 different adhesives that I like...because even with the soft reline, I have to use something in the bottoms...not all of the time, but if I'm going to be eating I feel more at ease when I have them firmly in place with an adhesive...I use the Fixodent in a tube..they have one now that is flavored with Scope mouthwash...I really like it..before I tried it, I was using the Fixodent Free...it doesn't have a color or a taste...They both hold extremely well!! I have to use warm water at night to get it to turn lose! Also, I like the ease of using the Sea-Bond adhesive pads. They are so easy to put in and take out..and really inexpensive, too...I go back in May for another evaluation, and I guess to talk about when to do the permanents...but he told me yesterday, there was no need to get in a hurry, because he wanted to give my mouth plenty of time to be completely healed before we started the perms...
You've already had yours 10 months? Wow....you're 7 months ahead of me! We're going to have to continue to give each other encouragement, okay...I know I still have dark days, at times...this all really takes some getting used to, doesn't it? It's so good to have someone to talk with...It's a wonderful thing to have these boards to post on and talk with others that are in the same place in their lives - that we all truly have an understanding of what each other is experiencing and that we can all help through our own personal experience of what helps and what doesn't....If I can help anyone with any little tidbit that I have learned - I am so glad...
I hope you have a wonderful day. I look forward to hearing from you again..

Jackie

wintersun 04-21-2006 12:50 AM

[QUOTE=Blue194]wintersun, I understand fully what your going through.
Its actually a good warning to people who dont take their teeth seriously.
Brush your teeth once a day with a soft bristle toothbrush.
Floss atleast once or twice a week.

Just out of curiousity.
How did your teeth get so bad?
Maybe you can warn people.
Did you not brush or visit the dentist one a year.
Thats once thing thats very important.
Everyone should get their teeth cleaned once a year.[/QUOTE]

Drinking too much. and never going to the dentist..Oh I HAVE warned people on this board!

wintersun 04-21-2006 12:52 AM

[QUOTE=Hope4All]Hi wintersun

I hate my uppers also, my partials are wonderful though on the bottom.
I also hate my soft relines, once I get it done I can no longer taste food all I taste is my denture. I do wear mine constantly though, I was told that is the only way to get use to them, and I only take mine out to sleep.

The saliva is still bad, I keep being told this will also go away but it hasn't and its been almost a month now.

I do not wish for my real teeth though, they were ugly and I was in pain most of the time.

I'm still upset about my two front teeth being off to the left, I'm still unable to smile due to this fact....every reline I get the run around about it, but next time I go in I'm going to have to be MEAN about it, I don't want to but my husband feels thats the only way they are going to fix them.

Did you talk to your dentist with how your feeling? Maybe they can adjust them to make them more comftorable for you.[/QUOTE]
I know, what a drag about the off center! Yeah, get mean! Maybe when I get my perms (due shortly) it'll be better..

wintersun 04-21-2006 12:56 AM

[QUOTE=whimsychic]I will hopefully be getting dentures very soon, as I am in so so much pain. I am only 32 and very scared, but anything has to be better than this pain. When you talk about the saliva, what do you mean by that? I hope everything orks oput for you wintersun.[/QUOTE]Well, it just seems with a foreign object in your mouth, your saliva goes OVERTIME BIG time. (but at least I don't have dry mouth any more-ha ha) And then the ooze of the glue makes them feel all slimey.

wintersun 04-21-2006 01:05 AM

Thanks everyone for answering, you really make me feel better to stick at it. I answered some of you guys down below.

WE WILL STICK WITH IT!

I havn't even got my other teeth added to my partial-I should get perms soon, maybe that will help-or valplast or an overdenture or something!! I'll look into that metal kind, too.

Blueheartlady, you give me so much inspiration because you are so positive. I am naturally a negative person, and get in funks over this sometimes!!

Sorry couldn't get back to you all sooner-computer had PMS or something-LOL.
But you all mean a great deal to me, so I'll keep trying!! I am 6 mos in now..

blueheartlady 04-21-2006 07:38 AM

Good morning, Wintersun :wave:
Thank you so much for the kind words!! It means alot to me for you to say that I'm an inspiration to you :) . Believe me, I'm trying to stay positive about this whole ordeal for my own self, too...All of this is definitely NOT EASY!! And anyone who thinks it's "no big deal" should have to take a walk in our shoes, don't you think? I know in my own personal experience these boards have been a huge part of my staying positive and up beat about everything...in the beginning I cried and grieved so much...(but I wear my heart on my sleeve, and cry way too easily!!). I don't talk to anyone about my dentures, and I don't have anyone close to me that has them, so I keep my feelings and my pains to myself...I guess I have always put my family first, and the last thing I would ever do is lay any of my problems at their feet..and, too, I am a very private person....so just reading all of the past posts have helped me more than I could have ever expected. And now, I feel that I have you and all of the others that are going through these same ups and downs to talk with, and it helps more than anyone could ever know!
I had my extractions and immediates put in on Jan. 4...so this is all still very new to me. But, I do feel that I'm improving with every passing day. And I truly believe that my decision to keep a positive attitude about all of it has helped me with my healing (in every way)...Honestly, Wintersun, if you would try to find even just one tiny " positive " feeling from what you have been through and will build from that one small seed - you will be amazed at what will happen...
I still have days that I hate everything about having these dentures!!! And I still shed tears when I let it get to me, but as soon as I have those feelings, I try really really hard to push them right out of my mind...and think about something else...it's not easy....definitely not 'a walk in the park'!!
Everything that has helped me I've tried to share with others...If there is any question that I might could answer, please ask...and if I can be your sounding board - I'm listening...and if I can be your shoulder to cry on - I'm here for you....
I tryly look forward to staying in contact with you!

Lots of hugs,
Jackie