It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2006, 10:59 AM   #1
(female)

paulcindy88 HB Userpaulcindy88 HB Userpaulcindy88 HB User
Why does it seem that everyone has wisdoms removed??

When do wisdom teeth come in? What age?? And do they ALWAYS have to be removed??

I had mine removed because they never erupted and were under my molars, and I was having braces put on so they thought it was a good idea to have them done. I had to be under general anesthesia in a hospital and it was the worst experience of my life.

I am wondering what would have happened if I never had them removed, I never even knew they were there.Do dentists generally jump the gun on this and just assume that everyone's should be removed??

I am concerned for my kids. I have a 16 yo son that may need braces, and the last thing we need is for a dentist to assume automatically they should come out,assuming they have even erupted. Does everyone get wisdom teeth??
Thanks

Old 04-21-2006, 03:02 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Tattooall HB User
Re: Why does it seem that everyone has wisdoms removed??

Wisdom teeth start to develop around 15 to 16 years of age I believe. And NO, not everyone needs to have them removed, impacted or not. I am a firm believer of if it's not broke, don't fix it. I have my wisdom teeth (all 4, impacted) which I considered removing but I found out that my headaches and facial pain is from TMJ and removing the teeth could actually make my TMJ worse. My dad who is almost 60 still has all 4 of his wisdoms as well, again, impacted. Some dentists are obsessed with wisdom teeth (because they bring in quite a pretty penny!) and others think that if they dont cause any problems you can keep them where they are. Naturally if they are causing pain, are infected, have a cyst or are growing in a funny position that causes pain in other areas then removal would be something to think about. My previous dentist demanded that I remove mine but I got a second opinion and he told me not to. The oral surgeon I saw agreed (he diagnosed my TMJ) so if you are at all worried, second, third, fourth opinions are not a bad thing.

I wouldn't worry about your son unless you have to. Talk to your dentist, maybe have a consult with a surgeon (or two) and see what they say.

Best of luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-21-2006, 03:54 PM   #3
(female)

paulcindy88 HB Userpaulcindy88 HB Userpaulcindy88 HB User

I agree with you and glad you concur with my feelings. I think that as soon as the Dentist's see wisdom teeth, they automatically say "Oh you have to remove them".....my son is only 15(will be 16 in another month) has never complained about mouth pain before.

I will hold my ground if it is suggested and there is no pain, infection, cyst, etc...

Thanks!!

Old 04-21-2006, 05:46 PM   #4

jon30 HB User

most wisdom teeth are removed to prevent problems down the road. there is a small chance impacted teeth can develop cysts around them, and be MAJOR problems in an older adult. 17-20 year olds seem to heal very quickly and tolerate the procedure well, once we are into our late thirities, it takes much longer to recover from that type of surgery, plus the time away from our jobs etc. There is no guarantee that wisdom teeth will not cause problems if left in, and no way to tell if they will. The conventional thinking is to get them out before there is a major issue.

Old 04-21-2006, 09:23 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User

Can wisdom teeth cause tmj? I have severe tmj and had 3 of my wisdom teeth removed - the 4th was kept because it had already erupted and pushed a molar out of its way. The side most impacted by the tmj is where the last wisdom tooth is located. Would anyone know if there is any correalation to wisdom teeth and tmj?

Old 04-26-2006, 11:58 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Tattooall HB User

Widsom teeth extraction can cause TMJ problems because of the stress it puts on your jaw, nerve and muscles. I developed TMJ problems after having a root canal and my oral surgeon told me that removing the wisdom teeth could actually make my TMJ worse so if I ever decided to remove them we would probably only do one at a time to reduce the stress on my jaw.
do a search for a site called TMJ Friends, they have a great message board.

Really everyone has a different opinion on removing or keeping wisdom teeth. I would say do what YOU feel is best. In my experience the dentists want to remove them just because they can. There is no guarantee that they will cause problems or they wont. It depends on the person. I personally wouldn't take them out unless I had to. "Just incase" is not a good enough reason for me.

Old 05-02-2006, 03:55 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ashlee HB User

When I was sixteen I got braces and at the time all four of my wisdom teeth were starting to some through. Three were coming nice and straight but one was on an angle and at the time I was told I MIGHT have to have it removed one day if it caused a problem.

Three and a half years later it became very sore as I wasn't able to get to it properly with a toothbrush due to the angle it was compared to the next tooth. So I booked in to have it removed.

I can honestly say the ONLY painful part was one of the injections. Cutting the gum around it, pulling the tooth out, and the stitches after it were not painful at all. It was more the THOUGHT of what was happening that bothered me!

For the next week I was very careful of what I ate so as not to let it become infected. The dentist had told me which medications to purchase from the pharmacy (one an anti inflamatory and the other a strong painkiller) and had told me to take them even if I felt no pain at all for at least four to five days. Well at the end of day two I stopped taking them and experienced no pain whatsoever.

So I really don't think it's such a painful experience for everyone. However, I'm not sure how well I would cope with getting four pulled out in one go! Hopefully my other three will be okay.

Old 05-02-2006, 03:57 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ashlee HB User

Sorry I meant to say I stoped taking the painkillers after two days, but I kept taking the painkillers as they were a perscription and wouldn't have helped much if I'd stoped them so soon.

Old 05-02-2006, 04:32 AM   #9
(female)

Ritaann HB User

I had my wisdom teeth on top pulled when I had the others pulled an an immediate denture put in 4 weeks ago.I had no problem at all.The holes have already smoothed over ,which I have heard is unusual.My eye teeth holes are the ones that are still huge--not sore but deep yet.I was so glad that I didnt get dry socket everyone talks about in the wisdoms.I guess not everyone has probs with wisdom teeth or there being extracted.

Old 05-02-2006, 07:10 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

DGO1223 HB User

The main reason wisdom teeth are extracted is simple: most people's jaws are too small for the teeth to come in correctly without crowding the others into an unfavorable position.

I have 2 of mine at age 55, simply because I lost 2 other molars as a child, and these had room.

I've been told the reason human jaws have become smaller over the centuries, is that as we evolved, our diet has not required chewing hard, tougher food, and civilization started eating a softer diet, so to speak, thus the need for these teeth has dissapeared, thus the jaw became smaller.

Old 05-02-2006, 12:39 PM   #11

jlh2605 HB User

I'm 24, and when I went to the dentist recently (after 10 years avoiding it like the plague......but then I got really bad toothache which forced me to go), he found that practically all of my molars have got cavities in them, but the cavities are worse in my wisdom teeth.

It's my own fault for most of the cavities, because I haven't taken good enough care of my teeth and haven't flossed enough, but the dentist said that I probably couldn't have prevented the ones in my wisdom teeth. He said that because they are so far back in the mouth it's too hard to get them properly clean, so they get cavities.

Because they're so far back, it's hard to do fillings etc on them, and even if they did, they'd probably get recurrent decay, so he says I should just get them extracted.........that's my story anyway, slightly different from everyone elses impacted wisdom teeth, but the dentist said it's not uncommon to need to get wisdom teeth pulled because of decay.

Old 05-06-2006, 07:37 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

niecsey HB Userniecsey HB User

My dentist has just informed me wisdoms are no longer taking out unless you suffer at least 2 infections a year! I told her l had impacted which l was advised to have out years ago l didnt cos lm terrified of the dentists l mentioned l needed them out and she said no unless you get infections!! times are changing here in the uk at least

Old 05-06-2006, 07:38 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

niecsey HB Userniecsey HB User

ps my first wisdom come in at 16/17 the 2nd started grwoing 5 yrs ago at te age of 35 and now at 40 my other 2 are making an appearance!! I hate teeth!

Closed Thread