It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2006, 09:21 PM   #1
(female)

ciliegia HB User
night time tooth pain

I'll try to make this short...a few weeks ago I had a root canal on my bottom, last molar. This tooth had a root canal on it over 30 years ago. There was a crown placed on the tooth at the time...but, after 30 years...I swallowed it.

Anyway, the root canal was performed by an endodontist. A temporary crown was place on it by the dentist...and three weeks ago, the permanent crown was installed.

I have TMJ...I have been wearing a night guard for more than a year...sporatically, I have had to have it adjusted. There has been some pain usually attributed, by the dentist, to the night guard.

Recently I have noticed that, only when I sleep, in the area between the root canal tooth and the one next to it there is a strange sensation...as if the tooth were floating away...a somewhat dull pain...

I remove the night guard, and sleep the rest of the night. Both the Endo and the dentist have stated that the x-rays, oral exam, tapping of teeth, gums, etc. look find...textbook.

I was told that the area between the two teeth are somewhat inflammed, but nothing to worry about. Also, that the temporary crown may have been snug against the good tooth causing some grief to the ligament between the two teeth.

Anyway...as I said, the past few nights I have been having a very strange sensation in the back teeth...I believe the one right next to root canal tooth. X-rays were taken of that tooth at the same time as the one for which I had the root canal...no problem at all.

Tonight I'll try to sleep without the guard...see what happens...

Has this happened to anyone? How long before it stopped?

The pain only happens at night...no sensitivity to foods...hot or cold...no problem to chew...just when I sleep.

Also, the night guard does rest on the area where the inflammation of the ligment is...my thought is that possibly the guard is aggrevating the ligament...any ideas?

I should point out that I go to the dentist every 6 months...like clockwork.

Thank you for your help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread