It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2006, 03:34 PM   #1
(female)

katzfriend HB User
when will the pain go away after wisdom tooth extraction???

HI! I had my wisdom teeth pulled a week ago today. They were all impacted. Even since then I have had a horrible head ache non stop and my jaw is killing me. Aleve or Over the counter pain killers don't seem to help much. When will the pain stop? Has anyone else had an intense headache after their wisdom teeth extraction? Thanks for your input...

Old 04-29-2006, 08:49 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

JenniferE HB User
Re: when will the pain go away after wisdom tooth extraction???

You need to talk to your dentist/surgeon. When wisdom teeth extractions are done, the jaw is stretched pretty far. This can cause your facial muscles, jaw muscles, and sometimes neck muscles to become all out of line and just sore from being stretched far for a long period of time. You may need to have your jaw and facial muscles massaged by your dentist and/or a licensed massage therapist. The use of heat can help relieve some of the pain.

Consult with your dentist or surgeon. Have them take a second look at the extraction sites to make sure they are healing properly, have them check to make sure your jaw is not out of line and occluding properly, and then talk to them about having a massage or two done on your facial and jaw muscles.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2006, 01:42 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

wintersun HB User

When it heals, then it will stop- sorry you are going throught this..Try excersising your jaw- open to the max, hold, then release..Do this several times a day- whenever you think of it..To the MAX! 4 or 5 times a day, every day.. I know it sounds cruel, but you WILL thank me- ha ha..

Old 04-30-2006, 06:48 AM   #4
(female)

katzfriend HB User

Thanks you two! I will call the surgeon on Monday and see what he says and will try excersising my jaw until then. My extraction sites are feeling a lot better and the thing that is the worst is the non stop headache. My jaw does feel like it was stretched an awful lot, it is sore all over....I guess me being 43 doesn't help! I know it is harder on the body the later you get your wisdom teeth pulled.

Old 04-30-2006, 09:29 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

wintersun HB User

YES!! And just take some Advil between now and then..I have heard ibruprofen is the best??? Maybe some ice packs??
I was DYING when I got my one wisdom teeth out.. those excersises helped me a LOT!!
I just did them on my own, because it felt good--kinda like after just having a baby and getting sewn up--S T R E T C H-makes it feel better- and you will get back to normal in NO time!!
I had the WORST headache after they pulled all my teeth-I was going WHY??? But it may have been due to my sinuses..?

Last edited by wintersun; 04-30-2006 at 09:33 AM.

Old 04-30-2006, 09:46 AM   #6
(female)

katzfriend HB User

Wintersun, those headaches to me are worse than the toothpain! I have been opening and closing my mouth a lot and stretching it. Last week this time I could barely open my mouth, so it's improving a lot. Now if just the darned headache will go away - I'll be happy. Those teeth, problems when you have them, and from what I see - lots of problems when you don't...can't win, can you? LOL!

Old 01-27-2009, 03:36 AM   #7
(female)

lucyc1982 HB User

I know, I wish I hadnt had the bloody thing out now! even when it flared up it didnt hurt as much as this and i had it out over a week ago.
Also, been reading that I should be doing all sorts of stuff like using mouthwash after every meal etc and dentist didnt tell me none of that.
How is yours feeling Katzfriend?

Closed Thread