It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2006, 09:32 AM   #1
(female)

rainbow_mandi HB User
Worn fillings and braces

I have 2 fillings which were both put in about 6/7 years ago. Both feel very worn, to the extent that I thought one of them may have come out. I visit my dentist every 6 months and he said they were fine. Is it normal for them to feel so worn?
Also, I got my braces taken off about a year ago after 3 and a half years, and was told in advance to expect a couple of cavities at least due to the length of time I wore the braces for. My dentist said my teeth are in great 'shape', I have had no treatment save orthodontic extractions since the above mentoined fillings were done. Is it normal not to get cavities after having braces for so long, or should I change dentists?
Thankyou xxx

Old 05-02-2006, 11:31 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

JenniferE HB User
Re: Worn fillings and braces

I had to wear braces and orthodontic appliances for quite a few years and I've never had a cavity. Not everyone who wears braces, even for an extended period of time, has decay issues when the braces are removed.

Fillings will naturally wear, especially on the occlusal (biting) surface of your teeth. It's not uncommon for them to feel worn. If you do not have any sensitivity in the teeth and/or there are no rough edges or anything that feels like the filling may have cracked, then the fillings are most likely ok and do not need replaced.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-06-2006, 08:29 AM   #3
(male)

Braced Face HB User
Cool Re: Worn fillings and braces

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferE
I had to wear braces and orthodontic appliances for quite a few years and I've never had a cavity. Not everyone who wears braces, even for an extended period of time, has decay issues when the braces are removed.

Fillings will naturally wear, especially on the occlusal (biting) surface of your teeth. It's not uncommon for them to feel worn. If you do not have any sensitivity in the teeth and/or there are no rough edges or anything that feels like the filling may have cracked, then the fillings are most likely ok and do not need replaced.
hi , it is normal not to get cavitys because , first the teeth are covered an the glue has a anti cavity agent in it , so this does help , i'm very close to the end of my orthodontic treatment of five years an as long as i've had a full mouth of metal no cavity , i'm looking foward to a metalfree smile , well almost i'll have wire retainers , hope this helps

Old 05-06-2006, 01:06 PM   #4
(female)

rainbow_mandi HB User
Re: Worn fillings and braces

Thanks. I was just worried because one dentist had said that after so long I would probably need some fillings or something, then when I got it taken off I was seeing a different dentist and he said I was fine. So fingers crossed everything is ok. I've just moved away from home for university so I'll be getting a new dentist soon anyway, I guess s/he will decide.

Closed Thread