It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2006, 09:21 PM   #1

TheReverend HB User
Bite different after wisdom extraction....

I had my wisdom teeth removed 11 days ago... The swelling finally went down enough that I can bite my mouth shut. But every time I open my mouth enough to feed myself the gums at the back teeth pull back. I get food stuck in there when I eat...

That's not the worst part, my bite is totally different now. I can feel near the front teeth that the gums are off. Looking at my the bottom row of teeth on the right (I had both bottom wisdoms removed) all of my teeth start to slope inwards now. Instead of having a perfect bite, the inside of the back top tooth on the right bites on my gum, and into the middle of the bottom tooth. I'm absolutly devistated. I'm so depressed from not being able to eat solid food and the dentist thinks I'm a joke for not expecting something to be diff about my mouth.

I don't know what to do... I have no idea when I can eat solid food again because every time I do it just screws up my mouth more. My mouth STILL bleeds along the line they cut to get the teeth out. Am I wrong to think that the dentist has some responsibility? What can I do.... I want to cry.

Old 05-05-2006, 09:27 PM   #2

TheReverend HB User
Re: Bite different after wisdom extraction....

I can see an indent in my gum from where that back tooth bites down... I'm physically scared to eat...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-06-2006, 09:23 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

wakkochic17 HB User

it could just be your gums are taking longer to heal.. if it's still bleeding than you may need to give it a few more days on soft food. If it is taking longer, than your gums are probably still a bit swollen and you will most likely see a difference once that swelling comes down completely with your bite and the teeth touching the gum. As for your teeth, unfortunately I found that's a risk with getting your wisdom teeth that your others can move. I used to have fairly straight teeth on top, but now I need to get Invisalign since they have gone crooked in the years since. Have you gone back and told him your teeth are moving? Has he given you any options for correcting that?

Old 05-06-2006, 01:06 PM   #4

TheReverend HB User

No... I haven't been back to the dentist yet. I'm going to try to insist there are complications and that he should see me for a post-op follow up. Thanks for your reply...

Old 05-06-2006, 03:39 PM   #5

TheReverend HB User

I have another question... The situation is, my gums are healing well. The 'holes' from where the wisdom teeth were pulled out have nearly healed to the point that stuff doesn't go in them anymore. However because they were impacted the doctor actually sliced my gums along the sides of my mouth (it reaches about 4 teeth forward). These slices go right up against my back two molers that are left and form what gum is there.

The gum is very loose there and only on the right tooth does it fully surround the tooth. On the left there is a small gap. When I eat, say a noodle, the middle of the noddle with just stick in there and I'll have a long noodle stuck in both of my teeth. If I continue to eat while my gums do that, will the gum heal lower down leaving me with a flap of gum against my teeth there forever?

Old 05-07-2006, 09:52 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

wakkochic17 HB User

wish I could answer that one.. mine were impacted, but they never had to cut my gums other than where my wisdom teeth were.. your's must have been really complicated to get out. I would try and get in with your dentist as soon as possible to look at the gums..

Old 05-07-2006, 12:18 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User

Please tell your dentist about your bite changing - it could be very significant with regards to causing tmj problems down the road - some people bite on all their teeth at the same time and having the teeth pulled may have changed how your jaw balances itself when you bite down or are in a relaxed position. He may have to give you a night guard so your jaw can adjust to the missing teeth or to compensate for the lack of them.

Old 06-14-2006, 06:29 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

US40126 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend
I have another question... The situation is, my gums are healing well. The 'holes' from where the wisdom teeth were pulled out have nearly healed to the point that stuff doesn't go in them anymore. However because they were impacted the doctor actually sliced my gums along the sides of my mouth (it reaches about 4 teeth forward). These slices go right up against my back two molers that are left and form what gum is there.

The gum is very loose there and only on the right tooth does it fully surround the tooth. On the left there is a small gap. When I eat, say a noodle, the middle of the noddle with just stick in there and I'll have a long noodle stuck in both of my teeth. If I continue to eat while my gums do that, will the gum heal lower down leaving me with a flap of gum against my teeth there forever?
TheREverend..did you gums ever heal up? I am having the same "loose gum" thing happening with mine. It's almost like I have too much gum. Please let me know how you are doing

Old 06-16-2006, 07:28 PM   #9
(male)

Grunt117 HB User

I had impacted wisdom teeth and had them all removed over a year ago. The holes in my gums took about a month to close. I had food stuck in my gums for about a month but pain went away quickly, in about a week. But ever since the surgery, all my gums are receding! Especially on the bottom right side. My teeth feel loose, but are not actually loose yet to the touch. I'm only 23. Doctors confirm my gums are receding, but all of them deny that my wisdom tooth extraction had any cause. Anyone else have this problem? I don't want to loose my teeth before I'm 40!

Closed Thread