It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2006, 08:57 AM   #1
(female)

Pennypoo HB User
Cavity in one tooth causing pain in others???

I have a strange situation......I've had a bit of a toothache (not excruciating, but enough to take pain killers for) in one of my molars on the bottom left for the past 4 or 5 days.

I've examined the tooth closely in the mirror, and it looks healthy, no obvious cavities or discolouration that I can see. But the tooth directly behind it appears to have a small cavity in it on the biting surface, there's a small black hole in it. This tooth doesn't hurt at all though, even if I stick a pin into the actual cavity.

Is it possible that the tooth which does have a cavity is causing pain in the tooth in front of it? It just seems weird that the tooth with the obvious cavity doesn't hurt at all, yet the tooth in front of it is really quite painful but looks fine to me. I'm also starting to get occasional pain in the tooth directly above the one that hurts......could this all be linked to one tooth?

I should probably admit that I haven't seen a dentist for a long time.......around 10 years or so, and I'm not currently registered with one. I've never had a cavity before, so I don't know whether the pain I have is that of a cavity or not.......what ARE the usual symptoms of a cavity?

Old 05-06-2006, 10:16 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

grandma.intense HB User
Re: Cavity in one tooth causing pain in others???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennypoo
I have a strange situation......I've had a bit of a toothache (not excruciating, but enough to take pain killers for) in one of my molars on the bottom left for the past 4 or 5 days.

I've examined the tooth closely in the mirror, and it looks healthy, no obvious cavities or discolouration that I can see. But the tooth directly behind it appears to have a small cavity in it on the biting surface, there's a small black hole in it. This tooth doesn't hurt at all though, even if I stick a pin into the actual cavity.

Is it possible that the tooth which does have a cavity is causing pain in the tooth in front of it? It just seems weird that the tooth with the obvious cavity doesn't hurt at all, yet the tooth in front of it is really quite painful but looks fine to me. I'm also starting to get occasional pain in the tooth directly above the one that hurts......could this all be linked to one tooth?

I should probably admit that I haven't seen a dentist for a long time.......around 10 years or so, and I'm not currently registered with one. I've never had a cavity before, so I don't know whether the pain I have is that of a cavity or not.......what ARE the usual symptoms of a cavity?
sometimes there are no symptoms. that is why you have to visit a dentist regularly at least every 2 years (even if you never had a cavity) for a thorough cleaning and check.
I just had a cavity fixed the other day. I had sensitivity to cold on that one side and had no clue there was a cavity.
the dentist also said I had root sensitivity along the gum line and prescribed fluoride gel for that area.
Getting the cavity fixed is key, because the cavity can allow bacteria to flourish and then it can allow it into the root, the tooth can die and you are looking at a root canal and a crown, etc. So go get it fixed!
check with your local dentists. Everyone is fighting for clients and find one who lets you pay on a plan...
And yes, a cavity can cause referred pain. The tooth with the cavity may have a dead root and the next tooth is the one hurting.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-06-2006, 01:15 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

arlmon18 HB User

I think that every 2 years is way too long to see a dentist. I go very often for cleanings, because I have gum disease, but most people I know go every 6 months. You have to take care of your teeth, if you want to keep them.

Old 05-06-2006, 09:17 PM   #4
(female)

SportHorse HB User

I agree - definitely get in and have that taken care of asap. I have also had a cavity in a tooth and it didnt bother me at all, but the tooth next to it was uncomfortable. The pain can definitely be referred pain. A lot of times you wont even be aware you have a cavity. I have never noticed mine until the dentists showed me. Ive even had teeth that needed a root canal without knowing it - it is so important to get in on a regular schedule for cleanings and periodic xrays - wish I would have done that years ago!

Closed Thread