It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2006, 12:20 PM   #1
(female)

youhavenoidea HB User
do gums grow back?

ihave had 2 tounge piercings now for..the first one about 2 years and the second one about a year and a half. the indside gums on the bottom are pretty worn down. i was wondering if i take out my piercings will the gums grow back? i dont want to take out my rings if they arent going to grow back. but i will take them out, i dont wanna ruin my teeth, my dad spent 10 grand on them and he would lose it lol

Old 05-14-2006, 05:52 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

wmkcolors HB Userwmkcolors HB User
Re: do gums grow back?

NO, gum tissue does not grow back. At best, you can get a gum graft. If your piercings are compromising your gum tissue that much, I'd consider removing them, because it will just get worse. I would see a dentist for some advice on your developping gum problem. Gum recession increases unless treated in some way.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-14-2006, 06:01 PM   #3
(female)

youhavenoidea HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmkcolors
NO, gum tissue does not grow back. At best, you can get a gum graft. If your piercings are compromising your gum tissue that much, I'd consider removing them, because it will just get worse. I would see a dentist for some advice on your developping gum problem. Gum recession increases unless treated in some way.
thanks very much. well i took the front one out cause it seems to be the one that is rubbing, the other one is further back so hopefully i can keep it, but if it rubs, ill take it out too. i never realized how attatched to my piercings i am! lol but i think im more attatched to my teeth

Old 05-15-2006, 06:56 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

anitak1982 HB User

Tongue piercings is the worse thing one can have as it damages the teeth. Gums do not grow back and gum grafts are very expensive. Plus once you lose your teeth you can never get them back. You can get implants or dentures but nothing feels as wonderful as natural teeth. Take those piercings out if want to save your teeth. It's not worth it in the long run.

Old 05-16-2006, 11:35 AM   #5
(female)

jillrdh HB User

As others have already told you, your gums will not grow back. However, you said that if they won't grow back that you weren't going to bother taking your piercings out. The problem is that the gum damage will probably continue to get progressively worse the longer you continue to wear them. Also, you are not the only person who has this problem. I have seen it with many people who wear the tongue piercings. It usually takes about eighteen months to two years for the damage to become noticeable. A couple of my patients were able to solve the problem by wearing only the shorter length. (sorry, I don't know the "proper" terms for the different rings and bars etc.) However, if you do not change something you run the risk of develping some very serious periodontal problems with those front teeth which over several years could lead to severe bone loss, and then tooth loss.
I would really encourage you to schedule a cleaning with a dental hygienist. Hopefully you will find on who is not just going to say "take it out" without at least discussing your situation and desire to wear it. Some options might be for her to do a baseline periodontal evaluation. Then at your follow up cleanings she (or he) would be able to evaluate if gum loss was indeed getting worse. That might be a good option if there is a different type of piercing you would be happy wearing that might not cause the damage that your current one is causing.
Yes, ideally the best solution would probably be to stop wearing it entirely, but I think it would be worth your getting a professional opinion about it. That way if your dentist or hygienist says "you really need to stop, or you risk losing your teeth" then you won't be as tempted to start wearing it again
Good luck to you and I hope this may have helped you some!

[Please do not reference your professional title. See more about this by reading the board guidelines by clicking the "Posting Rules" above. Thanks - Well-come Moderator.]

Last edited by Well-come; 05-16-2006 at 04:57 PM.

Old 05-19-2006, 05:24 AM   #6
(female)

Isobella HB User

It would be a shame if your tongue piercings led to such bad gum recession that you ended up losing your teeth. Honestly, it's not worth taking the risk of that. Gums don't grow back: I've seen this topic discussed many times in dental forums by people desperate for it to happen, but the professionals always tell them the gums simply won't grow back and the only solution is a gum graft. Unfortunately gum grafts are not always a success.

A young friend of mine was keen on having her tongue pierced but after reading online about all the possible complications, some of them life-threatening, she decided not to do it. She has lovely teeth (after two years of braces) so hopefully that decision will mean she has more chance of keeping them like that for a long time. I hope you get a solution to your problem - I'm glad you're more attached to your teeth than to the piercings!

Closed Thread