It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2006, 04:10 PM   #1

Rsspro18 HB User
Advice on having a Tooth Extraction and Taking a Flight on an Airplane

I'm scheduled to take a flight on Wednesday and have been having some problems with my back teeth... my dentist originally wanted me to have some of my back teeth extracted because they have decayed, and then eventually put inplants in place.

Well, I was putting it off for awhile, and then I started to get some pain recently in one of the areas... just the upper left teeth in the back... I went to the Oral Surgeon on Friday who advised me it wasn't a medical situation and it was a matter of pain only, he felt that if I wasn't in pain, it made sense for me to wait until I get back before having any work done, and if I was having some pain, then he could do the work. I decided to think about it and he gave me some pain medication and antibiotics if needed. He also mentioned he'd get me in before I left if I had any problems or it got worse. The pain seemed to lessen after the initial pain which started on Tuesday.

Well, I thought about it and made what I thought was a logical decision to get the teeth removed on Saturday or Monday, and still have some healing time before I left on Wednesday... this way I could enjoy my trip more... I'm going to visit my brother out of state for about 5 days.

Anyway, the Oral Surgeon couldn't get me in until Tuesday around 10am, and I am scheduled to leave around Wednesday at 10am.

So, the question is... does anyone have any advice and/or experience with having a tooth extraction and then taking a flight on an airplane? Is it wise to have the surgery 24 hours before flying? Is it a bigger risk to try to wait out the current pain from the decaying tooth until I get back, or to have have the surgery and then get on a plane and travel?

Any advice or opinions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-15-2006, 04:27 PM   #2
(female)

daffy93 HB User
Re: Advice on having a Tooth Extraction and Taking a Flight on an Airplane

I don't know if that is a good idea to have it done before you leave for your trip. You will be in pain after your extraction.

Old 05-16-2006, 11:21 AM   #3
(female)

vollmejl HB User

I would go ahead and get it done before you leave. Several years ago, my family and I flew to Floriday for vacation. I was only 13 or 14 and was already having trouble with bad teeth. A toothache started about 2 days before we left but I didn't tell anyone - I wish I had. The pressurization (sp?) in the airplane caused my tooth to feel like someone was stabbing a knife in my gum. I had never and still have never felt pain like that before. Once we got off the plane, it was slightly better but the toothache continued throughout the vacation. I couldn't sleep at night because of the pain. My parents finally took me to a dentist in Florida and I got a temporary filling in the tooth. The flight back was painless!

Old 05-17-2006, 05:19 PM   #4
(female)

daffy93 HB User

I agree too. You will be a lot of pains and you shouldn't be traveling by moving your mouth. You have to rest at least few days in bed to get all the swelling from your mouth to go down. If you don't take it easy, you might get dry socket and that is worst. I had dry socket and it wasn't fun.

Closed Thread