It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2006, 02:08 AM   #1
(male)

PeteJB HB User
Lightbulb Discoloration and Possible loose tooth?

Well, anyway, generally - touch wood - I've had a pretty good track record with my teeth. Never had to have any teeth out, generally don't get aches and pains and brush them for about 2-3 minutes twice a day. I've had perhaps two or three fillings in my lifetime.

Anyhow - I noticed the other day when brushing my teeth, that when brushing on the side of one of my molars in the upper part of the mouth, that it kind of "irritates/stings" when I brush on the side. I then proceeded to take a look, and noticed that on that tooth there was a slight patch of "dark gray". I checked my upper molars with two fingers, pressing them slightly to see if they were ok - And one of them feels "ever so slightly" loose when pressing from the inner side. I could of imagined that, however.

It only hurts when brushing from that one side, and a little bit if I lick it with my tongue - I can also feel, with my tongue, that area seems a little "dry", almost like a crusty feeling. It's not a pain as such, more of a localized irritation around the tooth/gum. Similar to the way a bruise feels on your skin.

I proceeded to check the rest of my teeth, and they seem relatively ok - Minus the plaque buildup on two of my front-teeth, one of which looks almost transparent around the gum area when shining a light behind it (plaque buildup/tooth decay? ). It was then that I noticed that all of my big molars in the upper part of my mouth were discolored, a light grey of a sort. They are yellow at the topper half, and light grey at the bottom half - Imagine a layer, per say.

Any ideas on what the discoloration is, and what that irritation is? Also, the transparency at the front tooth - What can I do to prevent that buildup from chipping into the tooth? Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2006, 08:35 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User
Re: Discoloration and Possible loose tooth?

Although I am not certain, based on what you are describing and my own dental history it sounds like your gums are receding and you are seeing the yellowish part of the tooth usually covered by gum tissue - I ntoiced this on my own teeth after I had perio surgery and my gums receded. Or the enamel on your teeth has worn down a bit on the lower half of your teeth. I just saw an ad on TV today for for a product put out by J&J to restore soft spots on enamel - you may want to give it a try.

Old 05-18-2006, 01:10 AM   #3
(male)

PeteJB HB User
Re: Discoloration and Possible loose tooth?

Hm, but it's weird only the molars in the upper gum are going grey at the bottoms. I guess if it were the medications I'm taking, then all the teeth/molars would turn grey. The question is, is it something to see a dentist urgently about, or shall I just wait until my checkup date next month?

And the partially loose molar (wobbles a tiny fraction - I think, it's hard to be certain) doesn't ache or hurt at all, touch wood. But prevention is better than cure (or at least somekind of information...) . Hmm?

Normally you can only see my Dentist without an appointment if you are in severe pain.

Edit: But it doesn't matter - I went away. Turns out my gums are inflamed for some reason, and a load of other mumbo jumbo. Anyway, my Dentist has given me a five day course of antibiotics to help with that and some sound advice. Other than that, everything appears sound.

Last edited by PeteJB; 05-18-2006 at 06:34 AM.

Closed Thread