It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2006, 06:59 AM   #1
(female)

lilmama5of6 HB User
Day 4 of my denture adventure

Hello All
Thought I would keep you all up to date with how I am doing. I started to puff up yesterday afternoon and by the time I went to bed I looked like a hamster with cheeks full of food that was smacked with a baseball bat.Likely I only bruised on the left side of my face.And my eyes are just a little black and blue,It kind of looks like I did not wash my eye make-up off. I thought I would have looked like this right after my procedure, not four days later. It is getting alot easier to take my upper full dentures out,but it still hurts like hell to put them back in...My lower partial I do not have to many problems with,but then again I only had to have 3 extractions on the bottom.I think that my upper gums having to have 12 extractions are so swollen and that is way it hurts as bad as it does.I do take them out for salt rinses 3 or 4 times a day.I think I have drank a gallon a milk a day since D Day(it soothes my gums)I am tring to keep a possitive but it is hard today.I keep telling my self next week will be different.

Old 05-19-2006, 07:55 AM   #2
(female)

blueheartlady HB User
Re: Day 4 of my denture adventure

Good morning,
I was glad to hear from you!!! I'm sorry to hear about the swelling and bruising....you know with anything avasive - any type of surgery we've always been told the third day is always the bad one...you're just experiencing it a little later...have you been using the ice packs on your face for the swelling? It will help. Keep a positive attitude - don't let this get you down. With each passing day things get better. ...

We're all here to answer any questions you might think of.....

Hugs,
Jackie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2006, 08:51 AM   #3
(female)

NYtoTN HB User

Hi lilmama,
I'm one day behind you, in day 3 of my adventure. I had a black eye on my right side from day one. But it is almost gone now. I don't have a problem taking the uppers out. I found a spot in the front, right behind the front teeth, that if I press on it the suction loosens in the back and they come right out. Maybe that will work for you.
I have a partial on the bottom, but with more teeth. I have my own 6 teeth in the front and both sides are the denture. There are wires on the two outside real teeth. But they don't even touch the teeth. The inside of my lower gums have blisters from the bottom partial. So I haven't worn them since yesterday. They also fall out if I bend over and open my mouth. So they are not fitting at all.
This morning was the first morning that I didn't wake up with my eyes practically swollen closed. I sleep upright.
How are you speaking with your dentures? Do you have a problem? I had my first phone conversation today. I've had so much trouble talking with these dentures. I'm getting better at it. But I still sound like a little old lady with bad fitting dentures. Which I hate.
Well, good luck with your healing process.

Old 05-19-2006, 12:38 PM   #4
(female)

lilmama5of6 HB User

hello NY/TN
I actually have 8 of my own teeth on the bottom.it sounds like we have alot in common in the teeth department.I can talk ok I am having a hard time with "S" words.but my dentures are so tight you can even hear them suck into place when I put them in.I figured out the secert to get them out.I need one to get them in with out any pain. It hurts soooooooo much to put them back in..I think it is because my upper gum looks like it went through a meat grinder,and then was stitched back together.They are very swollen today.I am still taking the pain medsevery 5-6 hours.I was told to read out loud to help learn how to talk again.Which is not a problem for me since I have 5 small children.I hope things get better for you.I am always around if you need extra support

What did one old boob say to the other old boob?
We better get some support around here...
or people are going to think we are nuts!!!!!!!

Candy

Old 05-19-2006, 06:17 PM   #5
(female)

NYtoTN HB User

Candy, that was a cute joke. The first laugh I had all week.
Sorry your gums are still so sore. Mine are actually feeling pretty good and the swelling is going down a bit. But my face and under my chin is still swollen. I bought a couple a small bads of frozen peas and I use them as compresses. I just keep refreezing them. I'm also still taking the pain meds. But they make me feel really strange and I don't like that.
I'm doing better with my speech. I've been on the phone a lot today. When I was younger I had to wear a retainer which was similar to dentures... without the teeth. I remember that it took a while to get used to talking with them too.
But things are gradually getting better. Just think how bad you felt 4 days ago.
Did you get mini implants? I did and I think that is why I am having the swelling in my face. And any pain that I am feeling now is coming from the areas where the implants are.
I hope you have a better day tomorrow.

Old 05-20-2006, 06:58 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

wintersun HB User

I had NO swelling or bruising, or not even that much pain at all..I never have when it comes to teeth extractions, and maybe that's why I wasn't scared...Everyone goes- isn't that KILLING you?? And I go, No, WHY??
Yes, my mouth felt like so much hamburger.. yes I was in pain- But I'm like- it's no big deal-HUH?
But EMOTIONALLY I fell apart- I was convinced I had ruined my whole life-- etc- and I still feel that way sometimes..
I still mourn my old life...
At least I didn't have to deal with this stuff..
You can't win- if you have nasty teeth, people make fun of you- if you have fake teeth, they do. too..
Like-You had to get fake teeth- na na na na na!
What's the matter? You can't eat that? You can't bite? You have to tear it off like a two yr old. etc???
You can only eat soft foods..?
I feel like telling them- I can eat a LOT more foods WITHOUT My teeth than I ever could with them... SIGH...

Old 05-31-2006, 06:54 AM   #7
(female)

Ariom HB User

HI there, I am very new to this board and looking for some advice. I guess I am just terified that on June 12th, I am getting full dentures. This is pretty scray for me, because all I ever hear are horror stories. I am not quite concerned about the speaking, I am aware it will take time, my concern is everyone tells me the gagging never stops. Is this true???? I hope some one can give me some advice. I cannot afford implants or I wouldn't even worry about it, but being only 43, I am scared. I don't have any alternatives. On the bottom, the are leaving in 2 of my own teeth to help keep in the denture on the bottom. I guess I am starting to freak out. Please someon do you have any supportive words???

Old 05-31-2006, 01:09 PM   #8
(female)

Ariom HB User

I posted a concern about upper dentures but no replies as of yet, since I am getting full bottom and top ones on June 12th....one of my concerns is about the gag reflex people have told me about. The stories I hear is scary, but the one thing that keeps me going is the smile that I have been looking forward to for years. is there anything you can tell me about it? Any info you might have will be most helpful. Hope to hear from you and I truly hope you are feeling better.

Closed Thread