It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2006, 04:50 PM   #1
(female)

LeanneUk HB User
painful swollen gum after tooth extraction

Wednesday i went to the dentist to get a tooth extracted and ever since the numbness went off ive had a really painful swollen gum. I am rinsing with salt after every meal and every 2 hours, i just dont seem to be getting and relief from the pain its now friday, does anyone know if this could be an infection? if so how long will it be until it clears up?

I would appreciate any feed back thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2006, 05:52 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User
Re: painful swollen gum after tooth extraction

If it was an infection by now you should be seeing pus or oozing some white stuff. You may be really bruised from the extraction itself. Try putting some ice on it (10 min on, 10 min off) several times a day. Even a bag of frozen peas will due. Did he give you a script for pain meds? If not call and ask for one just to get you through the next few days.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2006, 06:53 PM   #3
(female)

LeanneUk HB User

Hi Thelma-Louise thanks for your reply......
Its not ozin puss or anything it just seems to be very tender and slightly discolored, you could be right it might be bruised. My dentist did not prescribe any meds he just told me to rinse with salt water to stop any infection. I do remember him tugging a lot to loosen the root so maybe thats something to do with it. If it is no better by monday morning i will phone the dentist and ask advice, but in the meantime i will try some ice..thanks again

Old 05-22-2006, 03:00 AM   #4
(female)

BellaM HB User

Hi, I had a wisdom tooth extracted a couple of weeks ago - it was taken out on the Wednesday and the pain was definitely the worse on the following Saturday - after that it did get better.

Old 05-23-2006, 04:17 PM   #5
(male)

ppehs HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeanneUk
Wednesday i went to the dentist to get a tooth extracted and ever since the numbness went off ive had a really painful swollen gum. I am rinsing with salt after every meal and every 2 hours, i just dont seem to be getting and relief from the pain its now friday, does anyone know if this could be an infection? if so how long will it be until it clears up?

I would appreciate any feed back thanks
Hi i am new to this site and i see you posted your problem in march but if you have not found anthing to sooth your aching gums first see your dentist for professional advise about the infection but if you have to wait a few weeks i highly suggest that you try a product called "Rincinol" It's sold @ most local pharmacies such as Wallgreens Rite Aid, CVS etc......This products main purpose is to rinse away pain for Canker Sores But it works wonders on sore gums and toothache pain
I had a tooth ache that kept me up all night till i started using this stuff you will feel relief in minutes and it keeps workin for 6 hours sometimes even longer. I still need dental treatments but i always keep this stuff on my medicine shelf just in case something goes wong. Hope this information helps. P.S. you can also find this product in a Google search and read more about it

Last edited by ppehs; 05-23-2006 at 04:20 PM.

Old 05-25-2006, 05:35 PM   #6
(female)

LeanneUk HB User
Talking Re: painful swollen gum after tooth extraction

Hi ppehs thanks for your reply...
i joined these boards in march i posted last wednesday lol anyways my gum is fine now. I went back to the dentist and as there was no infection he did not prescribe any medication, although i was advised to take ibprofen to ease the pain. I was in pain for longer than i expected but that was because the root was bedded really deep into my gum so it took alot of pulling.
Thanks for all your replies they really helped me

Last edited by LeanneUk; 05-25-2006 at 05:43 PM.

Closed Thread