It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2006, 08:11 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mom22greatkids HB User
Tooth hurting after root canal

My dentist finished a root canal two weeks ago. I have a temp crown on now and scheduled this week to get the permanent one put on. My tooth has started to hurt again. At first I just felt a little pressure but I thought it was just from the work done on it. Now it hurts somewhat to chew on it and is again sensitive to hot and cold. Especially hot. It will hurt for a while after eating something hot. How is this possible after a root canal? What could be the cause? I don't want to get it pulled!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-20-2006, 08:21 AM   #2
(female)

Passion1965 HB User
Re: Tooth hurting after root canal

You need to call your dentist. You may need an antibiotic.An infection may be brewing.The root canal needs to be opened up again and drained.There may have been another canal in the tooth and didn't show on the x ray. Good Luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-25-2006, 07:07 AM   #3
(female)

hippygirl HB User

I had this happen before and was convinced that the dentist had left in a nerve but it seemed I had an infection and after a couple of courses of antibiotics, it did calm down. You should go back and get it checked out.

Old 05-25-2006, 08:10 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mom22greatkids HB User

I went back yesterday and he's not sure what is going on. Said it would be too early to tell with an x-ray. The x-ray he took after the root canal does not show a root fracture but it is still possible that it is. He told me to take ibruprofen for a week and call and let him know how it's going. It hurts with hot and cold even while taking the ibruprofin.

If it is a root fracture he said my only option is removal of the tooth. Is this right?

Old 05-25-2006, 08:16 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mom22greatkids HB User

Also, if everything was not taken out would it show on the x-ray?

Old 05-25-2006, 08:20 AM   #6
(female)

hippygirl HB User

I'm not really sure, as when the nerves are out, the tooth is dead so to speak. If it's a problem around the gums though I don't know. Take the ibruprofen religiously, they work better then. Didn't he give you antibiotics?

Old 05-25-2006, 08:31 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mom22greatkids HB User

It's not in the gums. It's definitely something inside the tooth. He didn't give me antibiotics because he said if it was infection it would hurt all the time. It only hurts when something (food, water, hot, cold things) touches it.

Old 05-25-2006, 09:16 AM   #8
(female)

hippygirl HB User

If you can manage to brush it, use a sensitve toothpaste, or failing that a sensitve mouthwash - you could try warming it a little first, and try and hold it around the tooth for a few seconds. This may help a little.

Old 05-29-2006, 03:14 PM   #9
(female)

princessfi HB User

I had a root canal last year and afterwards the tooth was still sore. the dentist told me it could not be sore because there was no nerve in it. One morning soon after I woke up with a lump on my gum and went to the emergency dental hospital. The Xray showed the root canal filling had perforated through the tooth and was jagging my gum. I had to have the tooth extracted as the root canal is a last resort to save the tooth.
You should get persist in getting this checked out
x

Old 05-29-2006, 03:29 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

MommaBee HB User

You have an infection and it is probably in the bone. That is what I suffer every once in awhile. I was told that I had a hole in the bone after the root canal and would have to have the tooth pulled. I refused and did a stint of antibiotics and the tooth is fine now. Go back and ask for some antibiotics. You can get an infection from anything there.
Good luck!

Old 05-29-2006, 08:25 PM   #11
(female)

vuitton HB User

My tooth hurt for 6 months after one of my root canals. Nothing was found wrong, and it finally went away. It was a brutal root canal, and hurt ALOT during the actual procedure...

Old 05-30-2006, 10:02 PM   #12
(female)

Jen_C HB User

I just wanted to jump in and post my experience quick.

I had broken a tooth in december at which point my dentist noticed a problem on my xrays. A very large dark area on the xray that looked that a giant empty spot. But if he wasn't very careful here said he would have missed it altogether.

So anyway he did a root canal, and promtly went on vacation, to hawaii. Needless to say he wasn't anywhere nearby when two days later my chin and part of my neck swelled up like a giant growth. It was some of the worst pain I have ever felt in my life!

I ended up having to laseration done to drain it, only to have them find an infected cyst. I was 17 days of two different antibiotics, and have a procedure done to remove the cycst.

Now tomarrow , since all my bottom front teeth were infected and subsiquitly died, I have to have another root canal. On top of with the swelling never completely went away, and I still run a fever.

If this don't get people to brush their teeth and take better care of their gums nothing will. I certainly have started taking better care of my teeth lately. I brush rince and floss everyday. Infact I got so carried away making sure to floss I cut my gums with the floss string pretty badly, and now am not allowed to floss there except with a little brush.

Grr to dentists. Hope your experience goes better than mine is right now.

Old 05-30-2006, 10:36 PM   #13
(female)

sslichterj HB User

Was the "dentist" who did the root canal an endodentist? Root Canal work really is a specialty and its better to have an endodentist do root canals as regular family dentists don't have the extra training for root canals. The man who has done all of my root canals is an absolute genius (and I have had many root canals) he would never have an "up in the air" answer. If the root or tooth is cracked it will show on an x-ray. Lots of things can go wrong with a root canal....they can go into the wrong canal, or not go deep enough, or pack it too full so that there is no way for pressure to realease. It is always a good idea for the root canal person to put antibiotic into the canal before closing it...most root canal specialialts do that to prevent infection.

Old 06-02-2006, 09:12 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mom22greatkids HB User

No, he is not an endodontist. I may make an appt. with one though. Unfortunately our insurance ran out May 31st. The tooth is no longer hot and cold sensitive. It is now just a little sensitive to touch and hurts a little to chew. It seems to be getting a little better every day. I'm so confused. I called and left a message Wed. about how I'm doing and he didn't call back.

Old 06-02-2006, 04:38 PM   #15
(female)

Border3899 HB User

I have a tooth that i had root canaled A year ago this past april which was a nightmare to begin with, every time they went in i could feel everything even though it looked like they got all the canals. I then went to see an Endo who retreated the tooth but i was still in pain so she did an Apico or root end resection, the tooth got better for a little while but now has really been bothering me again lately so i was put on antibiotics but it did nothing. I am going to a different endodontist on Tuesday to see if there isnt something else that can be done. During the root canal's and surgery they saw no cracks in the tooth. Neither my dentist nor i want to lose this tooth due to all of the time and money we have into so a second opinion for another Endo is what we're going to try. I'll keep you posted as to what he says and wish you luck with finding out what is wrong with your tooth.

Closed Thread