It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2006, 09:19 AM   #1
(female)

vickyemma HB User
Angry pain after filling?

hi, today i have had a deep filling done and now the numbness has worn off i am having toothache, and its v sensitive. its constant pain! i have taken both paracetemol and nurofen but still painful. i am just wondering whether its normal to feel pain after having a major filling done???? i have rung dentist they said its normal to feel a bit of pain and to ring tommorrow if still bad but i dont know if i can last the night if its still giving me grief. can someone tell me if its normal to have bad pain after major filling?hb

Old 05-27-2006, 04:40 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kellie2 HB User
Re: pain after filling?

Yes, it's normal to have pain after a filling, especially a deep one such as what you've had. It's because the nerves have been somewhat 'traumatized' and will take awhile to calm down. I myself just had one three weeks ago that was also a deep one, and it still throbs off and on. I know there are people on this board who are still having pain even months after dental work, and there's really nothing much to do except give it time to calm down and heal. It will eventually, but for a deep one like yours, it may take awhile for everything in there to heal again.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-27-2006, 11:48 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

JenniferE HB User
Re: pain after filling?

Oil of cloves works really well to relieve the toothache. It's not uncommon to have a toothache after you've had a large filling placed. Give it about a good 2 weeks and talk to your dentist again if the tooth still has not calmed down. Avoid chewing anything hard, and chewing gum for a good 2 weeks or so. The tooth is already 'stressed' due to the large filling and chewing anything hard or sticky just adds to the problem. If the tooth is not getting any better, go back to your dentist. It may be that the filling is too high and needs smoothed down, or sometimes the dentist will take the tooth out of occlusion slightly so that you are not biting down so hard on the tooth.

Closed Thread