It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2006, 11:13 AM   #1

Funky Chick HB User
Root planing and periodontal surgery - what to expect?

This is my first post. I have been referred to a periodontist as I have deep pockets by many of my lower and some upper teeth. The periodontist has recommended a course of root planing and periodontal surgery and I am rather nervous about what to expect? She has said it will be done under local anaesthetic but what will I feel? Is it like having a filling? she has said they will need to cut the gums and fold them back to get at the roots - how much does this hurt when the numbness wears off? I would be very grateful for any information and reassurance!

Many thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2006, 02:06 PM   #2
(female)

kelly49 HB User
Re: Root planing and periodontal surgery - what to expect?

I am having the same thing done (see my previous post) but with a laser. My dentist said it causes no bleeding and very little pain as opposed to the traditional gum surgery. I have gone to several internet websites and I have read it it supposed to be pretty effective (I hope) The healing time is very quick as there are no stitches involved. I was curious to see if anyone else has had this done with a laser, as not all dentist do it (mine just started) My mother had it done the regular way and she said it stinks- (sorry!) Maybe its different for everyone

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2006, 06:23 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User

Hi - Kelly i answered your other post too. I am referring to the older method that was used where the gum tissue is cut and folded over so the bone can be scraped and then sutured back. But there is a big difference between root planing or a deep cleaning vs flap surgery. As I mentioned in my other e-mail the deep cleaning aka root planing is more of a sandblasting of the teeth below the gum line and surrounding gum tissue with some scraping done on the area as well. It is generally done in stage 1 of perio disease or when the pockets are not that deep or infected. The flap surgery generally is done when the perio has progressed to intermediate or advanced statges. I am sure the newer techniques with laser will only improve either procedures since it does produce less bleeding and therefore healing should be quicker and less painful as well. Take a pain reliever before the procedures (but not aspirin) - I am sure the drs will also give you something for pain for the next 1-2 days as well should you need it. I got by by taking aleve.

Old 05-24-2006, 10:49 PM   #4

Funky Chick HB User

Thanks for the replies. It is the 'old' method I am in for as I am going to have small stitches. I must say I am not looking forward to it!

Old 05-25-2006, 09:24 AM   #5
(male)

jcbridges HB User

After your surgery I would recommend regular oral care with Cuprident toothpaste and oral foam rinse. These products are completely natural AND are scientifically proven to help heal gum recession. You can find more info at: [Removed]

[Do not post websites with advertising. Please read more about this by clicking the "Posting Rules" above. Thanks - Well-come Moderator.]

Last edited by Well-come; 05-25-2006 at 06:54 PM.

Old 05-25-2006, 02:09 PM   #6
(female)

kelly49 HB User

Why that particular toothpaste and rinse? Does is work better then an all natural toothpaste? Is the rinse better then Listerene or Biotine? I switched from Listerne then to Crest Pro Health then to "the Natural Dentist" rinse, and I think my gums got worse then with the Listerne. It is all so confusing

Old 05-25-2006, 07:35 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User

My periodontist gave me a prescription for peridex - its also supposed to help the gums. Its basically a strong version of hydrogen peroxide but it stains the teeth so they need to be cleaned more often. I always found the biotine to be more soothing too. The peridex has a medicinal taste to it.

Old 05-26-2006, 11:36 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

arlmon18 HB User

I had gum surgery (the "old" way). My perio never mentioned doing it with laser - I don't think he does that). I had nearly my whole mouth done - flap surgery because of deep pockets and bone loss. Some people may take a pill before to relax them. My perio gave me pain pills and a special rinse to use for 3 weeks. After one week, I had the stitches removed. Lets face it, local freezing isn't fun, but after that, you don't feel anything. I iced the area when I got home, took the pain pill and rested. Some surgeries hurt more than others, but we survive - and - we try and save our teeth.

Old 05-27-2006, 09:04 AM   #9

doodahbear HB User

Ok, I just had this done on thursday, so 2 days ago. Ok, not a crowd pleaser, but not near as bad as I had feared. Pain more of the annoying kind, rather than "OMG, I gonna die" kind. But, I did have an interesting coincidence, I woke the next day with OMG I gonna die pain in my lower back. Has anyone else had this happen after periodontal surgery? or is that just a coincidence since I have had back problems in the past, but had gotten it under control or so I thought.

Old 05-27-2006, 11:17 AM   #10

Funky Chick HB User

Funny you should mention that because when I went for my first examination I thought the chair went much further back than the dentists chair and there was quite a gap between my lower back and the chair. I think I will take a small pillow to put down as you say you had problems. Thanks for the warning!

Closed Thread