It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2006, 10:35 AM   #1

PrincessDawnie HB User
Question Student Dental Clinics?

I have heard that sometimes you can find one of these dental clinics that does low cost precedures because they are done by the students. I have 2 very bad cavities and no insurance and I need to get them filled now so they don't get any worse than they already are. My question is, has anyone ever been to one of these clinics for work and was it done good? Also, how do I go about finding one of them in my area? Thanx in advance!

Dawn

Old 05-26-2006, 07:35 PM   #2

katlupe HB User
Re: Student Dental Clinics?

I'd like to know the answer to these questions also.

katlupe

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2006, 08:56 PM   #3
(female)

lilmama5of6 HB User

My bother in law used a dental school to have a couple of his teeth filled.He was very happy with the work that was done(at half the cost).He informed me that there was a teacher standing watching to make sure the students do not mess up. And they do not just let them start working out on people right away...As far as where to find a school in your town I would look in the phone book..Good luck finding one.

Old 05-28-2006, 02:12 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

wintersun HB User

Yeah, they're just like doctor interns, but know a heck of a lot more. But, conversly, you ever been to a haircutting school?? CAN be scarey- but i have only heard great things about them!
I say go for it and learn together!

Old 05-28-2006, 02:50 PM   #5
Inactive

plymouth HB User

I'm very happy with the work I had done at the University of Washington Dental School. The only cost was for materials. There was a waiting list. Be patient and be available.

Once you're in they take good care of you. Sometimes students will compete for you if you have work they need for an exam or requirement.

It takes a lot longer for each procedure than in a dentist's office.

Old 05-30-2006, 09:58 AM   #6

PrincessDawnie HB User
Question Re: Student Dental Clinics?

Another question I have is, do they do everything there? Because I have a tooth that has a pretty bad cavity in it and I don't want them to get in there drilling and everything, then turn around and tell me I need a root canal or something and then I am stuck with this hole in my tooth because I can't afford a regular dentist because I don't have any insurance. Thanx!

Dawn

Old 05-31-2006, 09:15 AM   #7
(female)

Ariom HB User

Hi...I am currently working with dental students for a complete denture. So far they have done extractions, felt nothing, very good experience and affordable. But I do agree, you need to available because they only have certain days they work in the actual clinic in the university and other days they are studying. They always have a professor watching everything they do. I would totally reccomend it. They are not Butchers. Before they actually start working with you, they have gone through extensive studies. Many students that have worked on me are sent to 3rd world countries and do alot of there dental work there for practice. I live in Florida and the dentist working on my case, is just about to graduate and start her very own practice. ( I am going to NOVA University)

So on the wagon and go for it. The way I found this place, you have the best resource at your fingertips, your COMPUTER. Check for all the univeristies in your area, and find there dental department and call and set an appoitment, that is what I did. They do have a waiting list, but my case was considered an emergency, and they took me right away. I didn't even have to wait. Did my consultation, and was called back in 2 days. This is not the case for everyone, guess I just got very lucky!!!

Hope this information helps.

Closed Thread