It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2006, 08:20 PM   #1
(female)

sslichterj HB User
Support for decision about Prosthodontist needed

Have had long history of poor dental care. Finally sent to Prosthodontist who did 4 hours of sedated surgery (pulled 4 teeth and prepped 10 teeth for crowns)on Wednesday, May 24. Had to pay 1/2 cost of treatment plan upfront which was $18,000.00, and I am not a wealthy woman, also 63 years of age. Three days after surgery I was in horrible pain, three of the temporary crowns fell off while removing the new partial and one temporary broke in half. I met him at his office on Saturday (another woman was there waiting for emergency care as well). When I said I thought I may have an infection because it hurt so much, he was rude and insulting. He said he'd never had anyone have a problem with an infection in 30 years and all it was was a denture sore.He was also insulting about having to re-glue the temporary crowns insinuating that it was my fault they had fallen out, even though I had been on liquid and soft foods since the surgery. He continued to be insulting and I had to practically beg him to give me pain medication before I left. (He had sent me home after surgery without any antibiotic or pain medication). Finally, grudginly(sp?) he wrote a prescription for pain medication, but no antibiotic. I was so furious when I left (in tears from his insults and abuse) I went home and put a stop payment on the check I had given him. He never even took an x-ray of the painful extraction area. The next morning another temporary crown fell off. I need some feedback, if possible. My plan is to hire an attorney to figure out exactly what I owe for the things he did in surgery. I know I have to pay him, at least for that, and first thing tomorrow morning I am going to an oral surgeon to have an x-ray taken of the extracted tooth area that continues to hurt (the pain is running up to my nose). Any comments and or advice much appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2006, 12:41 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

wintersun HB User
Re: Support for decision about Prosthodontist needed

Sounds like a nightmare indeed! At least switch to someone else, document everything, and fight him how you can! Sorry you had to go through that..

Old 05-30-2006, 12:51 AM   #3
(female)

sslichterj HB User

Thanks so much for your input.

Old 05-30-2006, 05:24 AM   #4
(female)

lilmama5of6 HB User

Hello
I think you are RIGHT. Do not go back to that dentist again!When I had my extraction two weeks ago,the dentist gave an antibitic to take for a week to prevent an infection,As well as pain medicine.I even needed more medicine for the pain,and my dentist did not think twice about writting a refill.You should fill good when you leave the dentist office NOT IN TEARS!!!! I actually look forward to going to see the dentist,because he fixes the sore spots(from the dentures rubbing on my tender gums) and makes my pain go away.
You do have to pay him for the service he did do,even as bad as it was. A lawyer is a good places to start they will be able to tell you what your rights are.However I do not think you are going to like what they are going to tell you.I hope your situation does improve.

Old 05-30-2006, 11:02 AM   #5
(female)

sslichterj HB User

Ahh, could you be more specific about what you think an attorney will say? Do you think I will have to stay with this dentist?

Old 05-30-2006, 12:27 PM   #6
(female)

sslichterj HB User

Lilmama, any chance you live in California? Right now I think I'd travel to the ends of the earth to see a dentist who is as caring as the one you are seeing. Did talk to an attorney's office briefly this morning...they can only help if I want to pursue a malpractice suit against the Prosthodontist, which I don't want to do. I want to get this experience behind me; not have it go on for years. He probably could be sued for malpractice for what he did, but I think I'll leave that up to the next poor sole he rips apart! I did send a fax to the docotor's office after speaking with the attorney. I told him I would not be coming back to see him, that I had stopped payment on the check, and that if he would send me an itemized accounting for what he did in the surgery and the cost, I would send him a check immediately. Have heard nothing from him yet....he is absolutely certain that he is God, so I am not looking forward to his response! Thanks again for your input....

Closed Thread