It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2006, 06:19 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

tcracing59 HB User
denture question

I hate the thought of having to get dentures but i think it is going to happen alot sooner than i want. I have a question about gagging, will i gag everytime i put the upper plate in my mouth or will it gradually get better over time? I am a 43 y/o male, if i get dentures now how much bone loss will i have by the time I am 65 and will it be a major problem. If i were to get dentures now will I still be able to get implant retained dentures in 20-30 years or will i have too much bone loss? I have heard alot about nini or MDI implants, not sure if they are both the samething or different. Are they pretty sturdy and strong or do they tend to snap easily?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2006, 09:18 PM   #2
(female)

NYtoTN HB User
Re: denture question

I got MDI mini implants 2 weeks ago. I am having a problem with 2 of the 6 implant screws that are not tight enough in the bone. So the condition of your bone is very important. The implants have to be cared for just like real teeth. You must brush them twice a day or bacteria could travel down to the bone and cause bone loss and eventual loss of the implants.
If you get the mini implants you won't have to have a palette in your dentures and you won't have to worry about gagging.
I'm not sure about bone loss and age. But I would assume that the implants would take better when you are younger.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2006, 02:33 PM   #3
(female)

Ariom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afterglow
20 years ago last month I had all my upper teeth pulled and got a full upper and partial lower dentures. I was 40. I've read, on this forum, about people gagging and hating their dentures and having all kinds of problems. It never occurred to me that I might have any problems; I didnt expect any and I didnt have any. To a great extent, I think you get what you expect (in life as well as in dentures). Be optimistic and you'll be a lot further ahead right off the bat. And, regarding bone loss, I'm still wearing those same dentures. They fit just the same as they did 20 years ago and still look just as nice. I soak them every night, brush them with a toothbrush twice a day and soak them for about five minutes in a 50-50 bleach-and-water mixture once a week.

Old 05-31-2006, 05:11 PM   #4
(female)

Ritaann HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afterglow
20 years ago last month I had all my upper teeth pulled and got a full upper and partial lower dentures. I was 40. I've read, on this forum, about people gagging and hating their dentures and having all kinds of problems. It never occurred to me that I might have any problems; I didnt expect any and I didnt have any. To a great extent, I think you get what you expect (in life as well as in dentures). Be optimistic and you'll be a lot further ahead right off the bat. And, regarding bone loss, I'm still wearing those same dentures. They fit just the same as they did 20 years ago and still look just as nice. I soak them every night, brush them with a toothbrush twice a day and soak them for about five minutes in a 50-50 bleach-and-water mixture once a week.
Hi there
I was just wondering how long it took you to get used to them?I have had mine about 8 wks probaly and I am not used to them yet.I have had no other problems at all though.Also do you sleep in them?I am keeping a good attitude and hanging in lol--hope I will soon be used to them.

Old 05-31-2006, 07:28 PM   #5
(female)

JanD HB User

Today is 8 weeks for me with extractions and immediate upper dentures. The first week I cried, thought I would never get used to them. Now I find them very comfortable. I eat everything with no problems. Be positive and all will be well. BTW I am 70 years old.

Janice

Old 06-03-2006, 07:30 AM   #6
(female)

BarbJ HB User

I have a personal question, if ya'll don't mind. those that are single, or married, what about dating, and if you kiss someone? Can they tell if you have dentures?

Old 06-03-2006, 09:48 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Sandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB User

Barb,

I am married and have had my full dentures for 5 and half years. My husband says he can feel them when we kiss- mostly because he knows they are there. We also do a lot of kissing with them out, personally I like the feeling and not having to worry about the distraction of the dentures and all of the plastic etc.

Anyone worth having will not be concerned about whether you have dentures or your natural teeth. A mouth full of good false teeth beats a mouth full of bad natural teeth.

Sandy

Old 06-05-2006, 07:47 AM   #8
(female)

Ariom HB User

Hi Barb, You know I am so happy someone asked the question. I wanted to ask but guess just didn't have the nerve quite yet. But I guess what they are saying is true, kissing someone with pretty clean false teeth, is better than kissing someone with bad teeth.

Old 06-05-2006, 08:01 AM   #9
(female)

beforeXdishonor HB User

My husband has dentures, and in all honesty, if I he didn't tell me early on, I would have never known unless he told me or took them out. I really can't tell a difference when we are kissing, and his dentured don't bother me at all.
I'm 26 btw.
Another thing is don't get your dentures immediatly after your teeth are pulled, they will be adjusted to fit all the swelling, and then don't fit properly after a month or so, so wait it out with no teeth as long as possible.

For the gagging aspect, chew gum. It relieves the gagging affect, Dentyne Ice is the best to chew, it won't stick to your dentures.

Old 06-06-2006, 06:02 AM   #10
(female)

Ariom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by beforeXdishonor
My husband has dentures, and in all honesty, if I he didn't tell me early on, I would have never known unless he told me or took them out. I really can't tell a difference when we are kissing, and his dentured don't bother me at all.
I'm 26 btw.
Another thing is don't get your dentures immediatly after your teeth are pulled, they will be adjusted to fit all the swelling, and then don't fit properly after a month or so, so wait it out with no teeth as long as possible.

For the gagging aspect, chew gum. It relieves the gagging affect, Dentyne Ice is the best to chew, it won't stick to your dentures.
Good morning beforexdishonor...I am getting uppers and bottom dentures on June12th, actually i disagree with one comment. I am having the remaining 15 teeth in mouth extracted and the dentist will be delivering immediate dentures before I leave the office, basically leaving with teeth in my mouth. I don't know hoe good that is going to feel, but tey put the teeth in right away, helps healing, they say. Also glad to hear about chewing gum, so that it helps the gag effect. That is main concern.

Last edited by Ariom; 06-06-2006 at 06:05 AM. Reason: didn't submit reply along w/quote

Old 06-06-2006, 07:15 AM   #11
(female)

blueheartlady HB User

Good morning,

I had 27 extractions on Jan. 4th...and got immediates put in...I would not have done it any other way! I personally could not handle being without any teeth. I was lucky, I guess, because I ended up with an amazing set of immediates that look and fit really good....This set of immediates with eventually be my back-up set, because sometime after my 6 month mark I will be doing new impressions and getting permanents. We all do go through a great deal of shrinking after the extractions, and that is why some choose to wait before getting their dentures so as to have a better fit....the path of immediates and then the perms was the best choice for me....that is a personal choice that everyone has to make on their own....

If I can help you in any way......if I can answer any questions you might have....I'm here for you...

This adventure into dentureland is a minute by minute - day by day - process. Just remember, don't get discouraged...stay POSITIVE!! And stay focused on the outcome - That Beautiful New Smile!!!

Hugs,
Jackie

Old 06-06-2006, 08:10 AM   #12
(female)

beforeXdishonor HB User

Hello again!

It is possible for people to have a great fit immediatly, I myself wouldn't know personally but I've seen alot of people who got their dentures immediatly, and they didn't fit about 2 months later after all the swelling went down, resulting in them never wearing their dentures.
Perhaps it all depends on who and where you get them from.
But my husband says the gum really helps with the gagging aspect. He has to give in his month anytime he's awake, and as soon as he takes it out, he's gagging.

Old 06-06-2006, 09:30 AM   #13
(female)

blueheartlady HB User

Hello,
You're right....about 6 - 8 weeks down the road (according to the person) they definitely get looser!! My dentist told me from day 1 to be expecting it to happen....he said one day they'd be fitting good and the next day they'd go "PLOP"!!! and that's exactly what they did! I went in for my first reline then....that's just all part of the process....The only time I've had any problem with gagging was first when I had to do the impressions....(yuck!! all that goo oozing around everywhere was no fun) and then when my top plate started to get a little loose and moving around - that caused me to gag....I went in to see him and he trimmed just a little off the back which stopped the gagging.... but other than that no problem with it...

Since getting my dentures, I haven't even tried to chew gum....and I used to love it, but I really haven't even wanted any...I read somewhere that keeping a piece of mint or some type of hard candy helps with it too....

Old 06-06-2006, 11:50 AM   #14
(female)

Ariom HB User

Hi Jackie, Could you give me some insight on what to expect? I know it is different for everyone, but just some basics. I mentioned I am having the remaining teeth in my mouth extracted on June 12th and the immdiates will be put in right away. How does it work with the bleeding and all that. My dentist said I would have to go and see her the very next day.....then what, do you take them in and out all the time, I just don't know what to expect, I am hoping for that pretty smile! Any insight you might have will be greatly apprecaited. Thanks Ariom from Florida.

Old 06-06-2006, 02:40 PM   #15
(female)

blueheartlady HB User

Hi Ariom,
I'm glad to help you in any small way that I can....yes, it's different for each of us...but I think it helps sooo much for us to share our experiences with each other. My extractions were done by an oral surgeon. He prescribed me 2 pills to take before the surgery....one the night before and one 1 hour before...and I was given an IV sedation, so I didn't know anything! I remember walking out to our car and then I remember arriving back at home. I was kind of out for a while....my mouth was packed with gauze for the bleeding, but I don't think that I really bled too bad. I know my husband had to change it quite a few times during the first couple of hours...but you know that it always looks like a great deal more than it really is because of it mixing with the saliva in our mouth...so don't let that upset you, okay? I think having the immediates put in really does help with the bleeding. I kept my head elavated, and used an ice pack to help the swelling. I was really surprised that I didn't swell much at all nor did I bruise...that was unusual because I normally bruise very easily. Both my dentist and my oral surgeon told my husband to feed me a frosty from Wendy's that afternoon...that it would be very good for me....I'm sure the cold of it was an added benefit to help the swelling, too. I had to go and visit my oral surgeon the next morning, and my dentist on the next....I was instructed not to try and take them out at all until my visit, and he took them out for the first time. I'll be honest with you, that was a little painful! After that, I was told to take them out and rinse my mouth with warm salty water several times a day, so I did that atleast 3-4 times each day (sometimes more). That really feels good to the gums, and helps them heal more quickly. After the first few nights, I began sleeping without them. Letting your mouth get oxygen at night is good...it helps in the healing, too. It is very important to do what ever it takes for your mouth to heal...It is very very uncomfortable in the beginning trying to remove them. It made me so weak and sick at first that my husband had to support me! But I'm sure that's NOT the norm!!! I just don't have a very strong stomach when it comes to things like that! Honestly, in no time at all, it became just a normal routine...You'll experience some swelling and discomfort in the beginning, but that is all normal....I had pain pills to take right afterwards, when I needed them. My surgeon told me to take Ibuprofen and they really helped! One of the most important things is to stay POSITIVE....and like I said before this is a slow process - the healing and the adjustments - but I promise you it is ALL worth it!!

Please keep posting, so we can be here for each other! And don't hesitate to ask me anything, okay?

Lots of hugs all the way from south Mississippi to you!!
Jackie

Closed Thread